PDA

View Full Version : Tiered paver patio transition

edwardexternal
06-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I am installing a two tiered paver patio. Im not sure how to go about the tranistion at the step down. I have the retaining wall block set so that the pavers on the high side of the patio once compacted will be flush with the paver sitting (glued to) on the retaining wall block. I have a soldier course that will go along the step down, see a picture of similar lay out. My soldier course is a brick stone and not a coping like the picture. I planned on gluing the brick stone to the retaing wall block but there will still be some exposed retaing wall block before I get to my sand bed. My question is how do you deal with the pavers that are partially sitting on the block and partially sitting on the sand? I feel like if I go over them with the compactor they may crack or I may move the wall? Should I glue the portion sitting on the block and hand tamp the paver to set it down into the sand. Or do I skip the glue and let the glued brick stone and the pavers fully in the sand bed hold it in place?

Thanks for your help.

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
any chance you can break that paragragh out into individual sentences for each point? My attention span is too short to read all that when its all lumped into one!

KrayzKajun
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
any chance you can break that paragragh out into individual sentences for each point? My attention span is too short to read all that when its all lumped into one!

I'm with DVS. I read the whole thing and only remember something about glue and sand.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm not trying to sound arrogant!

But when you folks have questions and want help, you have to keep in mind that as we're surfing this forum - our phones are ringing. Employees are coming up to us. Kids are climbing on us. Lonely house-wives are texting us.

It takes a full attention span and interest to sit and discipher what is is you're askin :)
Posted via Mobile Device

edwardexternal
06-07-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm not trying to sound arrogant!

But when you folks have questions and want help, you have to keep in mind that as we're surfing this forum - our phones are ringing. Employees are coming up to us. Kids are climbing on us. Lonely house-wives are texting us.

It takes a full attention span and interest to sit and discipher what is is you're askin :)
Posted via Mobile Device

If posted questions on here before and you say you need more detials. I put more details and you say Ive lost your attention. Not sure what your looking for.
Simply put, when dealing with a teired patio or even stairs for that matter, how do you deal with the pavers that are partially sitting on the retaining wall block and partially sitting on the sand bed??

MJK
06-07-2012, 09:42 PM
if your not using a cap, your gonna have to glue the pavers that are touching the riser.

edwardexternal
06-07-2012, 10:19 PM
if your not using a cap, your gonna have to glue the pavers that are touching the riser.

I understand that, the pavers behind the ones laying on the edge are partially laying in the sand bed and partially laying on the retaining wall block. Do you glue part and compact part?

alldayrj
06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
dont tamp those pavers for sure. just stay a little off the edge

DVS Hardscaper
06-08-2012, 09:14 AM
It's probably not a good idea to have pavers partially sitting in block and partially sitting on a paver bed.

When it comes to people traversing over anything, you want everything to be sound. Aunt Mary is 66 years old and is overweight, she can not do a balancing act when she walks.

The walls and steps should be independent. This way if the steps heaves the whole step heaves. Where if you have pavers partially on a paver bed and the paver bed heaves but the steps do not - then you don't have the steps bust apart.

Yep, we need details to help, and pics or drawing help as well.
But if one is asking something that isn't routine, it's hard to know what they are asking when it's all clumped into one huge paragraph :)
Posted via Mobile Device