PDA

View Full Version : Would you worry about $5?

ron mexico75
06-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Last week I was asked by a family memebr of a lady who's a regular of mine if I would cut their yard. They do it themselves usually but didn't have time last week. I said yes and I emailed them the price of $45. The person said sounds good, I'll see you when you come out.

So last Friday I finish up and they come out to pay me cash. I was asked if I had change and I said unfortuanetly no. So I was given two 20's and was told I'll get you the rest next time I see you. I said I will be muclhing your neighbors house in 2 days will you be around? I was told; yes.

So I was there 2 days later and the person was outside piddling around. They never acknowledged me either. Since it was only 2 days I figured I wouldn't ask because for me, even though they said they would pay the remaining $5 quoted, I felt kind of weird and cheap asking.

I will be in the neighborhood today and he usually drives past several times running errands. I will also be at his neighbors house tomorrow cutting and he's usually home. If he doesn't stop by today I guess I'll wait until tomorrow. If he doesn't come over tomorrow either, what would you do?

Just write it off as someone who isn't respectful who just took advantage or would you stand your ground on principal and just say, hey, Im just stopping by to get the remainder of payment for the job?

I don't want to come of as some cheapo, desperate person. But, what if I left an area of his lawn uncut or a few strips uncut? I would imagine they would say something to me about not finishing the job they asked for right?

ron mexico75
06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Anyone that's online have an opinion?

Joey waid
06-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Chances are if they are not avoiding you, they probably forgot they owed you.

ron mexico75
06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Chances are if they are not avoiding you, they probably forgot they owed you.

Very true too. So if you were me, would you go up to their door and remind them since its not a regualr customer. Or, just forget it since it's only $5?

Im just stuck on the principle of the matter I guess not the money.

easy-lift guy
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
It's your money do you normally work for less than what you bill for?. Collect your payment in full and never work for less than what you bill for again.
easy-lift guy

ron mexico75
06-07-2012, 12:22 PM
It's your money do you normally work for less than what you bill for?. Collect your payment in full and never work for less than what you bill for again.
easy-lift guy

Yeah I think you're right. If I don't I'll just have a sour atitude towards him and in all honesty, he may have forgotten. Not like it's $500 that was just "forgot" about but $5.

kirk1701
06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah I think you're right. If I don't I'll just have a sour atitude towards him and in all honesty, he may have forgotten. Not like it's $500 that was just "forgot" about but $5.

That $5 can buy your lunch one day.

Its your's collect it

Duekster
06-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Kind of miffs me when people do those kind of things.
I would ask if I am in the area for sure.
I would say, I stopped by to see if you need any other services??? If they say yes you wait until the go to pay you to ask if they do not offer. If they say no, then ask right right then.

Also if they say yes, do not let them short you another 5 and make it 10 :laugh:

Get Some...
06-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I am not bashful when it comes to collecting my $. :)

nortonlawncare
06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Just get it next time you bill them
Posted via Mobile Device

C Jovingo Landscaping
06-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I have a 87yr old client that i made an $1 error on her last invoice of the season last year. She requests that i bring invoice on final cut each month her reasoning...so we both save stamp. Lol! She then writes check before i leave. She wrote check for amount on invoice then brought it out when I was mowing near her patio. When i was done mowing she came out to point out my error & i did not have $1 on me. So she said to just fwd it to 1st bill this season. Well i frogot to make correction in my computer & she did not get her $1 refund & brought that to my attention when she got 1st invoice of season. Good memory for 87yrs old! Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

Orrdc
06-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Just get 50 the next time, prob not a problem

ed2hess
06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Just get 50 the next time, prob not a problem

Good answer that way you don't have to sound desperate.

Darryl G
06-07-2012, 10:32 PM
I have customers forget to pay the sales tax now and then...I just adjust the invoice and don't worry about it most of the time. But these are customers who have spent thousands of dollars with me. Not sure what I'd do in your case...I don't usually do cash, I'd rather have a check.

ron mexico75
06-08-2012, 10:55 AM
This isn't a regular customer, he always does his own yard so I don't think there will be a a next time to add it to the bill.

By the way, while in his neighborhood yesterday he drove by six times and never stopped. 3 times out and 3 times back in.

Today I will be next door. I will wait until I am loading up to leave. If he doesn't come over I'll go knock on the door.

Thanks for all of the responses.

knox gsl
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
I would move on and not look like that guy over $5. I don't carry cash but take checks and CCs on the spot.
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
I would move on and not look like that guy over $5. I don't carry cash but take checks and CCs on the spot.
Posted via Mobile Device

So some say go get it and some say donít.........

I honestly do feel like an idiot for asking for it. But then I keep saying to myself; what if I just didn't cut the narrow side yard at all when I was there? Its like 2 passes with a 36" and left his uncut grass at like 6 inches and the rest at 4".

Would he have said something to me about that? I mean, five dollars isn't that much money and 2 passes with a 36" mower on an area about 12 feet long isn't a lot of grass right?

See what I'm getting at?

phasthound
06-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Stop beating yourself up over this. He said he would pay you, so just stop by & remind him. Not a big deal.

knox gsl
06-08-2012, 05:50 PM
I guess I differrent than most people, by no means am I financialy wealthy but I don't worry about money like that. I've given away so much in the past with the idea that I will be blessed with more in the future. I'm not saying to do alot of free work but just be the bigger man. They may have forgotten they owe you but will not forget if you knock on the door for $5.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
06-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Just knock and ask for it! $5 is $5, you earnt it, go get it! Its no as if you have to drive 20miles to get it.
If the SOB ignores you when he drives past without a wave or anything, you dont owe the pr!ck anything. Go get the $5. Screw him!

Duekster
06-08-2012, 06:29 PM
So some say go get it and some say don’t.........

I honestly do feel like an idiot for asking for it. But then I keep saying to myself; what if I just didn't cut the narrow side yard at all when I was there? Its like 2 passes with a 36" and left his uncut grass at like 6 inches and the rest at 4".

Would he have said something to me about that? I mean, five dollars isn't that much money and 2 passes with a 36" mower on an area about 12 feet long isn't a lot of grass right?

See what I'm getting at?

That is why I said to go ask if there is any other work you can do for them? If they say no, then ask them for the final payment for the last work done.

And take some change with you too. Enough to break 100.

higherground
06-09-2012, 03:28 PM
I hate to sound like a wus - but I say write it off and pick something more lucrative to worry about. $5 aint worth the time it takes to write it down... but if you do any more work for them bump the estimate up 20% for everything you do for them... to rebalance the cosmic forces at work here.

ron mexico75
06-11-2012, 11:04 AM
well I ended up not knocking on the door. I was parked in front of his house for about 2 hours doing a couple jobs in the area. He was outside once or twice too. When I was finished I just said screw it!

If it was more money I probably would have asked for it. Working in that area several times a week and having his mother as one of my customers, it would just make me feel weird having gone and asked for $5 from a week ago.

It was more principal then anything else. Like another poster said, they may have forgotten to pay the $5 but they wouldn't have forgotten that I came back asking for it. Its a weird neighborhood, everyone knows evryone and each others business too. Im sure I would have been the "talk of the town". Oh well, like others said, if he asks for more work I will charge a little extra and asked to be paid in advance.

FLCthes4:11-12
06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Yeah it sucks because it is yours and you earned it. You could always knock or approach him with the just checking if he would like any future services. Or get it back if he ever asks for anything else. But I wouldnt worry about the 5 it is probably not intentional.

andyslawncare
06-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Money is money. We get nasty sometimes with our customers and always end up with our money plus late fees and contract close and reinstate fees sometimes. You don't short a professional service that you use, so why would you accept to be shorted for mowing a lawn?

pitrack
06-16-2012, 04:46 PM
well I ended up not knocking on the door. I was parked in front of his house for about 2 hours doing a couple jobs in the area. He was outside once or twice too. When I was finished I just said screw it!

If it was more money I probably would have asked for it. Working in that area several times a week and having his mother as one of my customers, it would just make me feel weird having gone and asked for $5 from a week ago.

It was more principal then anything else. Like another poster said, they may have forgotten to pay the $5 but they wouldn't have forgotten that I came back asking for it. Its a weird neighborhood, everyone knows evryone and each others business too. Im sure I would have been the "talk of the town". Oh well, like others said, if he asks for more work I will charge a little extra and asked to be paid in advance.

Talk of the town because you wanted all the money you quoted and did the work for?

I would have just walked up and been polite about it, chances are he forgot and wouldn't think anything of it. That's just me. Now I wouldn't go driving across town for $5, but if you are literally right next door I would have knocked.

If he would have gotten offended by you asking for the money (money you earned by the way) then forget him I wouldn't want him as a customer anyway. A bill is a bill you don't pay how much you feel like.

alldayrj
06-16-2012, 06:39 PM
I feel the same way about a couple bucks, but almost always they get it to you plus some. whether its lunch or a tip on the next job. I wouldnt sweat it.

ron mexico75
08-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Ha ha ha ha.....Im wraping up cutting next door to him this past Friday. Im walking around from my trailer headed to the drivers door to leave and out of the corner of my eye I see the guy with a $5 bill extended out towards me. He says; sorry man, heres the $5 I owe you.

So EIGHT weeks later I get it........Im blown away.

rreyn1812
08-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Wonder how much time you spent worring about the $5??? These kind of things generally work themselves out over time without us spending a lot of time on them? I try not to spend my time on the really minor issues, but you have to determine for yourself whether a $5 bill is worth the effort you might waste, and a customer you might alienate. Glad it work out for you. :)

ron mexico75
08-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Wonder how much time you spent worring about the $5??? These kind of things generally work themselves out over time without us spending a lot of time on them? I try not to spend my time on the really minor issues, but you have to determine for yourself whether a $5 bill is worth the effort you might waste, and a customer you might alienate. Glad it work out for you. :)

Just "worried'' a few days. After posting on here I actually waited until the next week I went back to see if I would get it. When I didn't I just wrote it off.

It was just so weird that's why I posted this follow up.

RSK Property Maintenance
08-02-2012, 10:18 PM
me personally i wouldn't worry about, i wouldn't ask him for it, wouldn't care if its just one time and just 1 guy. its 5 dollars. not 10,000 or even 500 which might make a difference. if 5 dollars is that important to you, you might wanna look harder for work....i actually have a customer who pays me in full at the beginning of each month for his mowings and his total is off by 5 dollars but he refers all kinds of other work to me, and is a friend so i don't even bother saying anything about it, he's helped me out numerous times with electrical issues, i've had with my chipper and other stuff.....plus if he was to pay me that 5 dollars that he's forgotten a few times now, it wouldn't make a singe difference to me, not one. i still put diesel in my truck as needed, gas in my mower as needed,pay my insurance annually, and buy whatever i need for my business. so i would just forget about it.

Mickhippy
08-03-2012, 01:33 AM
I wouldnt worry about $5 per say but if its a $35 lawn I would. Not only that, it's the principle and driving past the property each week would make it hard to forget.
I'm glad you got ya $5.
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
me personally i wouldn't worry about, i wouldn't ask him for it, wouldn't care if its just one time and just 1 guy. its 5 dollars. not 10,000 or even 500 which might make a difference. if 5 dollars is that important to you, you might wanna look harder for work....i actually have a customer who pays me in full at the beginning of each month for his mowings and his total is off by 5 dollars but he refers all kinds of other work to me, and is a friend so i don't even bother saying anything about it, he's helped me out numerous times with electrical issues, i've had with my chipper and other stuff.....plus if he was to pay me that 5 dollars that he's forgotten a few times now, it wouldn't make a singe difference to me, not one. i still put diesel in my truck as needed, gas in my mower as needed,pay my insurance annually, and buy whatever i need for my business. so i would just forget about it.

I wouldnt worry about $5 per say but if its a $35 lawn I would. Not only that, it's the principle and driving past the property each week would make it hard to forget.
I'm glad you got ya $5.
Posted via Mobile Device

You all must have missed my response before you posted..........Post #28 on page 3

OakNut
08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Ha ha ha ha.....Im wraping up cutting next door to him this past Friday. Im walking around from my trailer headed to the drivers door to leave and out of the corner of my eye I see the guy with a $5 bill extended out towards me. He says; sorry man, heres the $5 I owe you.

So EIGHT weeks later I get it........Im blown away.

Cool.

On more than one occasion, I've had people who had forgotten to leave my pay give me an extra $5 "for my troubles".

No "trouble" on my end, I either stop when I'm driving by, or get it the following week, but it's nice that some people actually DO consider that it may cost me time/gas money to "come back" to get it.

Mickhippy
08-10-2012, 01:56 PM
You all must have missed my response before you posted..........Post #28 on page 3

No, I said Im glad you got your $5.

But how did you feel driving past every week knowing the guy owed you $5?
I bet you cursed him every time!

grandview (2006)
08-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Of course you put the 40 bucks on the books and where going to write off the 5 bucks.;)

ron mexico75
08-10-2012, 03:36 PM
No, I said Im glad you got your $5.

But how did you feel driving past every week knowing the guy owed you $5?
I bet you cursed him every time!

Oh yeah. You're right, it was like an itch you just couldn't reach to scratch good.

Of course you put the 40 bucks on the books and where going to write off the 5 bucks.;)

But of course!:laugh:

BOSS LAWN 2343
08-15-2012, 04:27 AM
$5 no, bigger fish to fry.

frotis
08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, they may have just forgot. If they want it cut in the future next time quote $50, be sure to bring change lol.

FoghornLeghorn
08-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Basically, you spent $150 of time obsessing over $5.

I had a client (who is also a neighbor 6 houses down) a few months ago with an acre of 18 inch tall grass that needed to get cut. She was leaving as we were finishing up and said she was heading to get cash. I told her not to go out of her way, just get cash whenever she remembered and to put it in the mailbox. I didn't see the sense in her going all out of her way with 4 kids in tow just to get me so piddly money.

Anyway, fast forward 3 weeks later and there's an envelope with the money in it inside the mailbox with a thank you letter.

People get busy, people forget, etc. Instead, use your energy to keep servicoing your customers and doing the next right thing; the prosperity will come to you.