PDA

View Full Version : Yard Leveling

BigMulch
06-07-2012, 09:42 PM
I went out to give an estimate on a yard leveling and putting grass after. The yard in total is just under 5000sqft. The lowest spot is about one foot. My questions are how would you charge them, by the sqft or hourly. What is the best machine to do this jobs. And the steps to do this job. This will be my first bigger job like this so any help will be appreciated. Thanks

mwlawns
06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Hourly, and bobcat smooth bucket, I have done plenty of them. Biggest question is will the fill dirt be there or do you have to handle that as well? Grass seed? or sod? irrigation?

joe crumpler services
06-07-2012, 11:11 PM
This is gonna get interesting. You always think you have plenty of soil until you start spreading it and filling in those "imperceptible" depressions, not to mention allowances for settlement.

Dr.NewEarth
06-07-2012, 11:14 PM
One cubic yard cover an area 10 feet by 10 feet three inches deep.

Get some butcher cord, two sticks and one of those levels that hang off of string and a tape measure and spend some time estimating what you need.

Smallaxe
06-08-2012, 09:32 AM
What are you actually doing? Is there sod there now? What kind of soil are you dealing with? Foot low in the center or is it a slope?

Bobcats are murder on lawns, if there is any body to the soil at all... It may cost more in time and effort to do it right, but that means physical labor... :)

BigMulch
06-08-2012, 11:21 PM
The ground slopes down and there is sod in about 90% of the area and i was thinking of using a tractor.

Smallaxe
06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
What happens to the sod? Are you adding lots of dirt to level the slope or cutting the slope down to make it level? Where is the water going to be pitched to??

BigMulch
06-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I will be adding to the slope but there still will be a little slope.I was thinking of leaving the old sod there and put about 4in of new soil and seed over it.

mwlawns
06-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I will be adding to the slope but there still will be a little slope.I was thinking of leaving the old sod there and put about 4in of new soil and seed over it.

I retract my previous post, thought that you were doing a much older lawn. I can run my bobcat over grass all day and not destroy turf, just use common sense and it is not murder on lawns

BigMulch
06-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Anothet question I have is when I put the seeds down and put hay over it how do you remove the hay after
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
06-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Anothet question I have is when I put the seeds down and put hay over it how do you remove the hay after
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't use hay, use compost as a top dressing and much healthier for the lawn.

Duekster
06-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Don't use hay, use compost as a top dressing and much healthier for the lawn.

+1 ---- Aerate, spread seeds then level lawn.

If you have to grade the property. Then you should get some compost / top soil mix. Till it in or use a conditioner attachment on the bobcat.

Then put down the seed and rack it in lightly.

Get Some...
06-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You dont remove the hay.........:hammerhead:

mwlawns
06-10-2012, 09:19 PM
hay?? I use straw

snopro321321
06-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Use straw not hay
Posted via Mobile Device

Get Some...
06-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Hay is better......:)

Prarie hay is the best.

Smallaxe
06-11-2012, 08:18 AM
The straw or hay always creates more dead zones than it helps to create 'good germination'... Sometimes on steep enbankments it might be a necessity, but for the most part watering appropriately does the trick...
This time of year you are asking for a lot of weed problems aren't you?

Duekster
06-11-2012, 08:22 AM
The straw or hay always creates more dead zones than it helps to create 'good germination'... Sometimes on steep enbankments it might be a necessity, but for the most part watering appropriately does the trick...
This time of year you are asking for a lot of weed problems aren't you?

If you gotta do it you gotta do it. I wish landscape jobs came up at the best time in the season but we have to take them when they come.

Smallaxe
06-11-2012, 08:47 AM
If you gotta do it you gotta do it. I wish landscape jobs came up at the best time in the season but we have to take them when they come.

It is always good to let the client know, what they can expect in the real world... they all have their ideas about a pro, creating the perfect lawn and I make it clear as possible that they will not necessarily get it this time of year...
I might add that 'heat' is possibly another good reason to use hay/straw, but chopped is better than full length...

Duekster
06-11-2012, 08:55 AM
I never considered discussing options with my client.

lawnsbybrown
06-11-2012, 09:06 AM
How about using penn mulch
http://natseed.com/pennmulch-seed-accelerator.htm
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-11-2012, 09:11 AM
How about using penn mulch
http://natseed.com/pennmulch-seed-accelerator.htm
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks like a neat option for those of us without a hydro-mulch rig. I would likely just contract the job out to someone with a hydro-mulch rig however.

It just depends on what it is we are trying to do.