PDA

View Full Version : 1 head = 2hrs

Turf Dawg
06-07-2012, 11:04 PM
As most of you know I am new to the irrigation side.
I have had several people call and say they have one head bad but when I inspect the system they really have plenty of things that need replaced. Is this the way it usually goes? I have been trying to fit the irrigation in along with my other services but am having trouble with scheduling times. One person said they need one head replaced so I went by on a Sat afternoon and ended up changing 13 and fixing one leak. Dr office called and said they had one head off and ended up replacing 4 rotors, 5 sprays and replacing two nozzles. This seem to be the norm so far.
How do y'all schedule the time between service calls? If it is much more that what was originally told to you do you come back or just go ahead and fix?

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-07-2012, 11:52 PM
I tried to only schedule three jobs a day to allow for that kind of stuff and/or to sell upgrades. It is a whole lot easier to move work forward than trying to reschedule into a packed schedule. Try to leave Saturdays open for catchup work. Unfinished invoices can kill you.

Sprinkler systems are never finished they are just brought to an invoice. Figure out how much time you have available. Do the work you can in that allotted time. Bill the customer and get them back on the calendar for more work.

ArTurf
06-08-2012, 06:24 AM
On systems that have not been regularly serviced there are usually several things wrong. Always count on spending more time that you think. What I try to sell is a spring start up where I run through everything and get it right to begin with.
If I see something wrong right now that needs a fairly major change and I don't have time to do it now I will suggest they we do it before the season next year. That is when I have time and the work is easiest to perform. They will not think of it before next season so it is up to you to remind them and encourage them to do it. I would rather do it in 50-60 degree weather than 100 degree. They will not think of it until it is the middle of the summer and they can see the dry spots.

Sprinkus
06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
I have had several people call and say they have one head bad but when I inspect the system they really have plenty of things that need replaced. Is this the way it usually goes?

Yes, yes it is.

DanaMac
06-08-2012, 08:14 AM
New customer called yesterday for a start up, and said the system did not run at all last year. It's only 3 zones, but I figured 2.5 hours just in case. He was adamant that there would be no problems. I was adamant there there would be. Won't know until Monday when we get there.

Your situation is typical. There is always more than the customer realizes. They call for one head, but then there are leaks in the manifolds, cracked backflow preventers, heads needing straightening and raised, replacing of heads and/or nozzles, etc. Happens all the time. And yes it screws up the schedule, big time.

Mike Leary
06-08-2012, 11:23 AM
I used to spend time planning a day or two of cold calls. They were planned so the guys could stay a couple of hours and then move on to the next. What a miserable failure my "planning" turned out to be. :cry: