PDA

View Full Version : Tree health help

woodlawnservice
06-08-2012, 08:51 AM
One of my clients has several huge sweet gum trees in there front yard with a trunk diameter of around 4ft. All but 2 of them look great and healthy.. One is dead completely... The other in question is alive but it's bark is almost falling off at the trunk and 6 ft up. It has small bore holes all in it.. Pull the bark back where it's rotted and there r ants everywhere.... There is limbs beginning to die on this tree but most is still green at the moment. Could ants b the cause of this or they the secondary problem? I notice the dead tree has fungus at the very base of the tree where it meets the grass. The lawn has irrigation and I noticed with this tree that's I'm concerned about its like there is sawdust at the base. Not much but some.. Any help would be great thanks!

easy-lift guy
06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Sounds like wood ****** damage and the other problems followed due to age and other factors. Give the customer a bid for removal and do not replant the same type tree again, go with a different type.
easy-lift guy

Dr.NewEarth
06-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Can you post some pictures?

woodlawnservice
06-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Can you post some pictures?

Not sure if I can from my phone... ill try and figure it out. BTW the Customer wants and will do almost anything to save these trees.they r huge and she hates to loose them
Posted via Mobile Device

easy-lift guy
06-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Convince her that the best course of action is to remeove, esp. the dead tree. If the trees are any where near the house or another structure it would be better to deal with now than to involve the insurance company over a claim for a tree or trees crushing her house.
easy-lift guy

Dr.NewEarth
06-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Woe! We should all check with our local city bylaw department to see if we need an arborist report before you start chopping down trees!!!

The property owner will possibly have to pay for a permit too.

easy-lift guy
06-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Woe! We should all check with our local city bylaw department to see if we need an arborist report before you start chopping down trees!!!

The property owner will possibly have to pay for a permit too.

Really! I believe the OP stated that One of Three trees was already dead. The trees are on private property, you can check with your" local city bylaw department", if there is such a thing. Pretty sure a chain saw would be used to remove the dead and nearly dead trees as well. I am sure a TPO is not required for tree removal ESP. Dead ones in OK, USA.
easy-lift guy

woodlawnservice
06-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Really! I believe the OP stated that One of Three trees was already dead. The trees are on private property, you can check with your" local city bylaw department", if there is such a thing. Pretty sure a chain saw would be used to remove the dead and nearly dead trees as well. I am sure a TPO is not required for tree removal ESP. Dead ones in OK, USA.
easy-lift guy

That is correct. No permits or laws Here for such things.. the dead one will come out as well as much as the stump ad possible so we can cover with topsoil and lay sod over it... the ones that'd struggling I'm sure she will want.to try and save first. This thing is huge.. I'd hate to see her loose it as well...
Posted via Mobile Device