PDA

View Full Version : BLOWIN' STUFF IN THE STREET...

richard2
08-14-2000, 01:30 PM
with fall on it\'s way i thought i might ask what everyone\'s opinion on airstream pushed debris and city buses is? what\'s acceptable?

Scraper
08-14-2000, 01:55 PM
blowing it all in the street and letting the passing cars blow it into the neighbor's lawn? If so, not good business. Not to mention cars/buses going the opposite direction will blow it back in your customer's lawn.

thelawnguy
08-14-2000, 04:03 PM
Dont be a Scrub.

Its stuff like that which gives the rest of us a bad name.

Good thing they saved your seat at the spice factory.

[Edited by thelawnguy on 08-17-2000 at 01:43 AM]

bob
08-14-2000, 05:00 PM
When I do leaves, I include the curb in front of the customers house.

Rufur
08-14-2000, 07:39 PM
what do you guys do about secondary leaves sometimes I feel very frustrated having to blow grass and leaves back up on the lawn afterwards ruins the finish also what do you guys do about sec leaves in bed my help blows it back out on the grass along with clippings just hate to bring the blower out first thing and then last again how do you all do it

richard2
08-15-2000, 01:31 AM
you grow it i mow it 'cause it really don't take any formal edge-a-ma-kation....to mow and try to build my self esteem via the web....bill learn to smile and laugh...you are a liar if you claim to have never kicked a dirt pile under a city bus in your life! also, this feild isn't rocket science.....it's a pretty silly way to earn a livin'....imagine if we put all this energy and fert into growing food for people in 3rd world nations? i guess i'll let you drink beer and ride on your mower....you mow cause you can't grow!ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!

TGCummings
08-15-2000, 11:24 AM
Scraper, Lawnguy:

What do you suggest as an alternative? I used to sweep the streets for my customers at no extra cost (very early on), but that was too time-consuming and therefore expensive. I've offered street-cleaning as additional service but got no nibbles, and was told by many customers they don't care about the streets, just so the lawn looks good.

So, I'm left with blowing the stuff to the gutter and leaving it, or out to the street and letting Mother Nature take it's course.

Your suggestions?

-TGC

curlawngreen
08-15-2000, 11:39 AM
Have you ever heard the term "CURB APPEAL" ?

Scraper
08-15-2000, 12:31 PM
I assume you are talking about grass clippings and not tons of leaves. We blow clippings and the like back up onto the lawn when we are finished. If you are talking about a lot (which there shouldn't be if you mow two strips facing in) then pick up the bulk of it and blow the little scraps left back onto lawn. This is all included in basic service. Might want to take another look at your pricing schedule if you don't think you're getting enough $$$ as it is.

If you are talking leaves, then that's priced in with fall cleanup. If it is still early in the leaf drop season when I'm still mulching the early falling leaves, I will usually blow all the leaves along the curbside up on to the lawn prior to mowing. Takes a little extra time, but not enough to be a big deal.

gusbuster
08-15-2000, 02:45 PM
Myself,
If I notice any amount of leaves, I always blow into the lawn first and let the machine either mulch it or bag it. Saves a lot of time when finishing up a client plus it looks better. As for blowin stuff in the street, just depends on the weather and how much debris I have made. If a lot, blow it into a pile and pick up. If not too much, blow into the curb and let the wind deal with it. One of the nice things about living close to an ocean, always have some sort of breeze. I try to never leave an obvious sign that I threw the debris into the street. Looks like crap. Black top and green grass, can see from the other end of the street\block. Plus, do it often enough, you will get a little letter from the city stating that your debris is clogging the sewer grates, bla, bla ...um isn't that why I pay taxes and a business license so the city can run a street sweeper once a week?:confused:
John

Charles
08-15-2000, 08:32 PM
NEVER EVER, BLOW THE GRASS IN THE STREET. Unless you then blow it into a neat pile for the city to pick up. Mulch the grass. WHATEVER. But please show a little bit of class. Richard, alot of business ventures do not take much brains. What's your point? Think THE DONALD is a brain surgeon? Think Ross perot is a chemist? NOT. I dump leaves on the curb for the city to pick up. if no service is available. Then mow more ofen. Mow higher. MUlch. BUT NEVER EVER.............

richard2
08-15-2000, 09:39 PM
curllawngreen said it right on....my property manager requires me to blow off the curb on each and everyone of his properties.......now when do you draw the line and bring in the billy goat? also, THE LAWN GUY, dude, as i read your posts and see your catchy fraze ( you grow it i mow it) i am left to wonder......are you speaking about lawns or a ?

Sorry Richard2, I don't think that was a good thing to say on this forum.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 08-16-2000 at 01:20 AM]

Rufur
08-15-2000, 10:05 PM
man sometimes I dont wanna blow the street back on the lawn esp commercial properties I dont want that crap near my grass..lets stretch it .clippings on a BUSY street..get run down... wait for cars to pass...?.... on this one I blow the stuff to the middle away from the curb

TGCummings
08-15-2000, 10:26 PM
Hmm...

Well, I've been blowing into the street on some 70 properties for nearly three years now. Generally, I like to blow into the curb and leave it, but that afternoon sea breeze on the Central Coast makes that impossible most days. So, out into the street it goes.

Like I said before, I used to pick it all up but that became too much extra time and I began to notice I was the only gardener in town to give a care. Made that a selling point until I found out customers didn't care about it either. Definitely not going back to sweep & scoop as a freebie, so I guess we're left with what we got...

Scraper: Yeah, my pricing structure is already in the midst of an overhaul as-is. No way I can afford to do additional work for my underpaying clients. I mulch, so no matter which way I mow 'facing in' I get a good amount on the sidewalks and curbs.

It's no biggee. It's never been a sticking point with any customer I have anyway. I've always felt like you do, that it's unprofessional to leave it in the street, but there simply isn't a ready alternative...

-TGC