PDA

View Full Version : pgv jar top issue, not opening fully

grassman177
06-08-2012, 08:16 PM
IT happens to be a hunter 1 inch pgv jartop valve. valve was not working,solenoid tested bad, installed a new solenoid and now it works, problem is it only opens partially and the pressure is too low to pop all of the heads up. then to put a wrench in, you open it manually with solenoid twist and it works perfectly at full pressure.

now, a little history behind this valve as well. seems, i recall 6 years ago i replaced the entire valve top including the diaphragm and solenoid and jar top. i recall, that it had the same issue, would sometimes open most of the way using the controller, other times only like half but always fine manually opened.

so, any thoughts on something quick to resolve this issue, before i cut it out and replace the entire valve?

thanks, kinda perplexed here

Mike Leary
06-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't know that valve. It has a flow control? Are you "tuning it". Is it on a well with crappy water?

grassman177
06-08-2012, 08:30 PM
no, not that lucky, no flow control and on clean city water.
just trying to see if there is something like a trick i dont know, etc, or wtf is up with this. i have seen it once before, but on a flow control valve that i opened and closed and then tuned and it cured it.

pgv jartop i dont think is even made anymore, but i have not checked. i used them for a bit, but they leak if you have to work inside them it seams. not the strongest imo.

basically though, the same operation and such internally as a hunter pgv, but in a jartop application..

grassman177
06-08-2012, 08:33 PM
i figure you old timers in the irrigation field might have some knowledge to share, lol. may of you i am sure have run into this before and have thoughts, and advice. easy to swap this valve out since it is on the end of the main line but thought there might be something i dont know yet, since i have not been repairing but 10 years, and on a small scale

Mike Leary
06-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Depending on the flow, I'd throw a W*M "Silver" or "Black" valve in there. Only dweeb pikers install valves with no flow controls. You could still be getting crap from the potable, since it's at the end of the throw, but a W*M valve will pass most small cars.

Duekster
06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Have you swapped the valve wire at the controller? I have seen stations not fully power before.

Duekster
06-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Depending on the flow, I'd throw a W*M "Silver" or "Black" valve in there. Only dweeb pikers install valves with no flow controls. You could still be getting crap from the potable, since it's at the end of the throw, but a W*M valve will pass most small cars.

You define piker. :laugh:

Mike Leary
06-08-2012, 08:56 PM
You define piker. :laugh:

Thanks, you made my evening. Wire issues could be the problem, I admit, but I'm sure the OP took a OHM reading before dinking around with the valve. The fact the valve bonnet was replaced mite just point to a short-to-ground situation, but I doubt it.

Duekster
06-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks, you made my evening. Wire issues could be the problem, I admit, but I'm sure the OP took a OHM reading before dinking around with the valve. The fact the valve bonnet was replaced mite just point to a short-to-ground situation, but I doubt it.
Ohm readings on the wire path do not tell you if a ciruit on the controller is going bad old timer. I have seen station pulse because of weak out put on a controller.

And you assumed the OP checked something. :hammerhead:

lawns Etc
06-08-2012, 11:32 PM
In my area good luck finding a flow control valve in any brand. Never see them from any old installation or even at the supply houses until you get into 1.5" and bigger. So we all must be pikers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sprinkus
06-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Could be that there is an obstruction in one of the solenoid chamber ports.
I'm not familiar with those valves but here is the cut sheet (http://hunterind.prod.acquia-sites.com/sites/default/files/BR_PGVJARTOP_dom.pdf) that shows a cross section of the valve and solenoid porting..

grassman177
06-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Power to the solenoid, yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Power to the solenoid, yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was on a job checking a system. You could see the system pulsing. It was just one station. I swapped wires and the problem moved. Simple enough of a diagnostic tool.

I got got ohms, and voltages outputs on the meter. I guess one of those capacitors was going bad on the controller.

mitchgo
06-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Just replace it. Older valve with issues . I've had that same problem before. Cover your basis thoough with voltage tests and pun tests at the controller and at the valve.. old tori jar tops do this all the time when winterinzing
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
06-09-2012, 05:41 PM
i was thinking the same thing mitch, thx. i just thought i would see if there was something else i was not aware of. usually pretty straight forward type of stuff on resi stuff which is mostly what i do. largest system at the moment is 32 zones. average, 10 zone and less systems.

i will double check the voltage, but from some simple wiring tests performed without the meter there is not a wiring issue or controller issue in play.