PDA

View Full Version : Quick way to accpet credit cards?

MJK
06-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Is it only paypal? I have a customer that is needing to pay with a credit card. Does anyone do this with paypal?

Do they charge you a %fee to get your money?

Thanks for the help in advance.

alldayrj
06-08-2012, 10:24 PM
you can do it with a smart phone

jsslawncare
06-08-2012, 10:35 PM
smart phone and square is the app you need.

GreenI.A.
06-08-2012, 11:34 PM
I use square with my smart phones and ipad. you can set it up online and start accepting credit cards right away from your computer or phone by entering the numbers. They'll send you a reader that plugs into your phone that will allow you to swipe the customers cards.

DVS Hardscaper
06-09-2012, 08:39 AM
We do acCept credit cards.

The processing company will do a credit check on you first. They will negotiate the fees. You will probably pay more to process rewards cards and business cards.

I hand enter on a regular card terminal. Yes you can use a smart phone to do this.

I've had a good many people charge $10k jobs this year, more than ever.
Posted via Mobile Device

shovelracer
06-09-2012, 08:56 AM
While we are on the subject. We are new to CC's this season. My understanding is you can not just up the price 3% because of a CC being handed over, but do you guys ask what the method of payment will be and adjust in the initial phases for it? I've had a few negotiate prices for traditional forms of payment then at the last minute hand over the CC or actually more sneaky pay there balance overnight online with the CC option. This really ticks me off they just eat right into it with 3%. So much so that I turned off the CC option in my system and only take it upon request now.

Duekster
06-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Is it only paypal? I have a customer that is needing to pay with a credit card. Does anyone do this with paypal?

Do they charge you a %fee to get your money?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Paypal is more and more accepted by the public but I do not use it often.

They do charge a percentage. 2.9% I think. Easy to set up.

I do not use a smart phone or anything.

I use quickbooks and their merchant service. It has monthly fees / minimum processing amounts as do most merchant accounts. Paypal is the only one I am aware of that does not have a monthly minimum.

GreenI.A.
06-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Square charges 2.75% of you swipe the card and 3.5% if you manuall y enter them. We negotiated one rate that is much lower with them. They also use to do a 30 day hold on manually entered cards, me negotiated that away as well. I believe they stopped doing that anyways though.

Gr8WhiteNorth
06-09-2012, 03:04 PM
We do PayPal and have set up a portal on our web page so customers can pay 24/7. All they do is enter their invoice # and pay with card or PayPal acct. so easy.

The charge varies with the card brand. Most are around 1.8%.

Last year was our first year to accept and people used it like crazy. Racked up huge payments to PayPal we never accounted for. Now we charge an extra 2% to every invoice, but discount if they pay by cash or cheque within 7 days

It just makes you feel more legit once you can do that.

DVS Hardscaper
06-09-2012, 05:32 PM
While we are on the subject. We are new to CC's this season. My understanding is you can not just up the price 3% because of a CC being handed over, but do you guys ask what the method of payment will be and adjust in the initial phases for it? I've had a few negotiate prices for traditional forms of payment then at the last minute hand over the CC or actually more sneaky pay there balance overnight online with the CC option. This really ticks me off they just eat right into it with 3%. So much so that I turned off the CC option in my system and only take it upon request now.

There are no laws preventing anyone from charging a percentage for card transactions.

However....you processor may have it in writing that they do not want you to do this.

I do charge a percentage for card transactions. And have no plans of stopping.

The processors discourage merchants from up charging. Because it discourages people from using plastic.

Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
06-10-2012, 12:18 AM
I use Chase Payment Tech. I call a 1 800 number, punch in my secret code, the credit card number and their computer announcer gives me an approval code.

I can do every-thing from my cell phone.

GreenI.A.
06-10-2012, 03:45 AM
There are no laws preventing anyone from charging a percentage for card transactions.

However....you processor may have it in writing that they do not want you to do this.

I do charge a percentage for card transactions. And have no plans of stopping.

The processors discourage merchants from up charging. Because it discourages people from using plastic.

Posted via Mobile Device

Some states do have laws regarding this. MA for example does. We can not apply a fee to credit cards, but we can apply a discount for cash.

jbailey52
06-10-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't know for sure, but I have heard several times you cannot charge a customer more for using a cc, but you can give a discount for check or cash. So I believe that means if you give a total, and they hand over a card you cannot then up the price. Then again, I'm just a landscaper so what do I know!