PDA

View Full Version : Paint for blocks ?

xtreem3d
06-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I know the title sounds crazy but i am building a tan wall out of Hampton blocks and want a chocolate row, as an accent, about 2 rows below the caps. Hampton doesn't come in a dark brown (chocolate) block so I thought I might paint a row but don't know what type of paint might work..anyone ever try or know?
Thanks,
Steve

SVA_Concrete
06-08-2012, 10:07 PM
oh mylanta..... dont paint them.

use a concrete stain, you can get a warm chocolate look with little effort.

i have acid stained many walls, pre cast parts, concrete, etc.

call you local decorative concrete supply house.

C Jovingo Landscaping
06-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I was painter for 12 yrs & yes, do NOT paint. Paint will fail cuz it basically sits on surface, stain soaks into block. Sherwin Willliams has stains for concrete block, so check theat route also.
Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
OK I'll check into the stain....wasn't sure because I see many old houses with painted blocks and bricks,
Steve

C Jovingo Landscaping
06-08-2012, 10:58 PM
There is moisture behind a retaining wall & this would cause paint to fail. Look at some old basements that r painted.
Posted via Mobile Device

C Jovingo Landscaping
06-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Also Sherwin Williams can tint stain so they will need a piece of block to do tests on til they get the color ur lookin for.
Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
06-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the help

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-11-2012, 01:28 PM
What about using a choclate block from Legacy? Kirchner/ Versa lok makes it and is a cheap version of the diamond block. They are 12" deep though so you'll have to watch your lines with the Hampton.

xtreem3d
06-11-2012, 06:21 PM
STL...i'll look it up and see if it might work. it will need to be sraight face hopefully 6" tall. If you head out Hwy 40 west there is a red painted stone wall for a retirement home on the left close to the mason exit I think....that's why I asked about paint,
Steve

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-11-2012, 08:02 PM
STL...i'll look it up and see if it might work. it will need to be sraight face hopefully 6" tall. If you head out Hwy 40 west there is a red painted stone wall for a retirement home on the left close to the mason exit I think....that's why I asked about paint,
Steve

Steve they come in straight face and are 6" blocks.

xtreem3d
06-11-2012, 09:58 PM
yeah thanks I found them...they should work ......I owe ya ! :waving: