PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper mower problems-HELP!!

Quality Lawn
06-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Grasshopper 725D will not shut off when I put the key in the off position. Suspect a fuel solenoid but was hoping for some input and suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mowingman
06-09-2012, 09:50 AM
It is either a bad key switch, or a bad fuel solenoid.
On the fuel solenoid, it is more common for them to not stay engaged, so mower will not stay running. Your symptom is just the opposite. I would think the key switch is the most likely problem in this case.

Jbh0724
06-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Your first problem was buying a grasshopper. RUN RUN

Mowingman
06-09-2012, 08:15 PM
This is just an ignorant statement.
Grasshopper builds one of the best designed, most durable, and longest lasting mowers that you can buy. It is common for Grasshopper mowers to last thousands of hours longer than other comparable brands of ZTR's.

dboyd351
06-09-2012, 10:36 PM
This is just an ignorant statement.
Grasshopper builds one of the best designed, most durable, and longest lasting mowers that you can buy. It is common for Grasshopper mowers to last thousands of hours longer than other comparable brands of ZTR's.

+1. A friend has been using 2 Grasshoppers for many years. He is easing his way into retirement @ 65, but the mowers are still going strong.

Quality Lawn
06-10-2012, 10:15 AM
New solenoid installed....all fuses checked and are good....Found 2 ground wires that looked like they were broken so I put new ends on them and reattached them to the frame....still no power to the solenoid.

Using Denso 16851-60041 solenoid.

dutch1
06-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Did you replace the fuel solenoid or the starter solenoid? If it was the starter solenoid, with a test light, check for power at the switch leg of the solenoid when the switch is turned to the start position. If you have no power there, it's likely the ignition switch is defective.

TriCountyLawn
06-10-2012, 01:46 PM

I have to say this is the first time Ive heard Grasshopper get bashed on lawnsite.....I think that say something about the brand.

And to the OP, since its still running drive it up here ! lol good luck.

Quality Lawn
06-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I did replace the fuel solenoid and have no power to it. The one I replaced was locked up so I am not sure if my current problem is as a result of that or the cause of the other!! I appreciate your input.

Quality Lawn
06-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I have to say this is the first time Ive heard Grasshopper get bashed on lawnsite.....I think that say something about the brand.

And to the OP, since its still running drive it up here ! lol good luck.
Let me tell you somthing TriCounty....If I thought I could get up there and back today and it fixed by tomorrow I would be northbound!!

First time for me also hearing Grasshopper being bashed.....in one ear and out the other. They have been very reliable mowers for me. Just a hiccup that I am trying to fix myself rather than pay labor fees. Thanks.

ricky86
06-10-2012, 08:11 PM
From what I remember, the solenoid is controlled by a module. It's wired into the interlock system. I assume it has 3 wires on it?

Quality Lawn
06-10-2012, 08:22 PM
From what I remember, the solenoid is controlled by a module. It's wired into the interlock system. I assume it has 3 wires on it?

No, it only has one....Denso part number 16851-60014. I have included a link below if you would like to see what it looks like.

http://www.generatorguru.com/products/Stop-Solenoid-%252d-Denso-16851%252d60014.html

Mowingman
06-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I have a factory electrical troubleshooting manual for the Grasshopper Machines. There are 3 pages of simple tests you can do to diagnose the problem you are having. As far as I know, this book is available to the retail customer. The procedure is too lengthy to describe here. There are several components that are in the starting system. These include: ignition switch,fuel solenoid, fuel solenoid module, main fuse, and solenoid fuse, and a control relay. All you really need to follow the test procedures, is a test light and an ohm meter.
"Service Manual"
"Electrical Troubleshooting"
"Volume 2"
Form#172111-071006
Mine is from 4 years ago, so there probably is an updated version

Quality Lawn
06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I have a factory electrical troubleshooting manual for the Grasshopper Machines. There are 3 pages of simple tests you can do to diagnose the problem you are having. As far as I know, this book is available to the retail customer. The procedure is too lengthy to describe here. There are several components that are in the starting system. These include: ignition switch,fuel solenoid, fuel solenoid module, main fuse, and solenoid fuse, and a control relay. All you really need to follow the test procedures, is a test light and an ohm meter.
"Service Manual"
"Volume 2"
Form#172111-071006
Thank you very much. I will try to find it online and order it!

bob
06-10-2012, 11:02 PM
"Service Manual"
"Volume 2"
Form#172111-071006

I have that manual ( mine is from 1997) What are the 3 pages he needs? I shound ask, what is the title at the top of each of the 3 pages? I could scan them & send them.

TriCountyLawn
06-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Let me tell you somthing TriCounty....If I thought I could get up there and back today and it fixed by tomorrow I would be northbound!!

First time for me also hearing Grasshopper being bashed.....in one ear and out the other. They have been very reliable mowers for me. Just a hiccup that I am trying to fix myself rather than pay labor fees. Thanks.

Good to hear and hope you get it sorted out. Im on the fence between a Scag or going with a GH front mount. Really leaning towards the grasshoppers. Good luck.

Mowingman
06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
The pages that you need are pages 30, 31, and 32.
The heading on these pages is: "Engine Starts, but dies when key switch is released". I believe the testing sequences on these pages will help get the problem figured out.

bob
06-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Grasshopper 725D will not shut off when I put the key in the off position. Suspect a fuel solenoid but was hoping for some input and suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

PM me your email. I'll send pages this afternoon.

Shannon J
08-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I am having the same problem with a 321D, new fuel solenoid, interlock module, and still won't hold fuel on, it's got 12 volts to the hold wire but won't hold it open. I would love to see that troubleshooting guide and get this thing fixed. Thanks to all that can help.

fixer67
08-13-2012, 10:59 PM

Most other systems have a "power to run" type fuel set up but not this one. It is a "power to shut down" set up

This system works back-wards from what you would think. When running there is no power to the fuel solenoid. The fuel valve is held open by a spring. When you turn the key off the module sends power to the solenoid to kill the engine. The module times out after about 15 seconds. The engine is dead by about 5 seconds but the module holds it a bit longer to make sure.
The first one I seen I was like "What the ?" is this.
It sounds like your shut down module is bad.

Just when you get to know the rules some one goes and changes them.

fixer67
08-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I am having the same problem with a 321D, new fuel solenoid, interlock module, and still won't hold fuel on, it's got 12 volts to the hold wire but won't hold it open. I would love to see that troubleshooting guide and get this thing fixed. Thanks to all that can help.

Now it sounds like your set up is a "power to run" type. Now is it a two wire or 3 wire solenoid. A 3 wire solenoid has a common wire, a pull in wire and a hold wire. The pull in wire can take up to 30 amps to run it and it does not need to run but just for a few seconds while starting. It is most common to have the pull in wire going to the starter so when the starter is engaged the pull is is as well. Now the hold wire only take about 2 amps to run and get power from that acc or run side of the key switch.

A 2 wire type get it power from acc or run side of the key switch (though a relay as the key switch can not handle the power on pull it). The change over from pull in to hold on the 2 wire type is taken care of by a switch in the solenoid its self. the 2 wire type and 3 wire type are not interchangeable.

OMG!! I have been doing this for way too long. I can close my eyes and see wiring schematics.:laugh:

Shannon J
08-14-2012, 08:34 AM
It is the 3 wire set up, pull wire from starter solenoid, hold wire from interlock switch, and both wires have power to the fuel solenoid at the right times, but it won't hold it in. What could be wrong?

Mowingman
08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
you have already eliminated two potential problems. There is a good chance the key switch is bad. The other two things to check are the solenoid fuse, and the main fuse.
you can buy the electrical trouble shooting book at a Grasshopper dealer. I highly recommend having a copy in your files. It is invaluable if you do your own maintenance and repairs.

fixer67
08-14-2012, 08:37 PM
It is the 3 wire set up, pull wire from starter solenoid, hold wire from interlock switch, and both wires have power to the fuel solenoid at the right times, but it won't hold it in. What could be wrong?

When you hit the starter it pulls in. When you let off the starter the hold coil holds it but if the plunger is not seated in the solenoid the hold coil is not strong enough to hold it. The rod from the solenoid may need adjusting. If it prevent the plunger from seating it will never hold. To test this unhook the rod from the injector pump. Turn the key to start and watch the rod pull in. Let off the key letting it go back to the run position. The rod should stay locked in the solenoid and be very hard to pull out until you turn off the key. I have seen the rods get bent or gummed up and cause it not to work right.

You may have to jump out the interlock for the test.

I just realized we have two threads going on at once here so when we post a reply we should state to whom we are talking to, Shannon J or Quality Lawn

fixer67
08-15-2012, 08:53 PM
I got this from work today. I took these readings on a new out of the box unit I replaced last year.
This is for the 3 wire type.
Hope it helps.