PDA

View Full Version : Lake Irrigation system question.

quattro
06-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Hello.

A bit of background. I am installing a lake irrigation system. The system consists of a 2hp centrifugal pump with a 2" intake (sure-flo lake filter), and a 1-1/2" discharge. I can add a pressurized water tank, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

I plan to step-down the 1-1/2" discharge to 1" near the pump outlet and run about 100' to the 3-valve manifold (any advantage to running 1-1/2" 100' to the manifold instead?). The pump will be controlled by a Hunter pump-start relay and a RainBird controller.

My question, finally, is can one of the zones be connected to a standard garden hose spigot? I'm guessing just a 1/2" NPT female spigot would do the trick. Any tips on how to mount it inconspicuously? The owner would prefer to use a garden hose to water her many precarious potted flowers.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but i've been searching the net for days with no clear answers. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Dripit good
06-09-2012, 06:06 AM
I've been using these. They work out well for us.

http://uhideit.com/

Wet_Boots
06-09-2012, 08:35 AM
You need to re-think the entire control system if the owner is to water with a hose.

Mike Leary
06-09-2012, 12:21 PM
You need to re-think the entire control system if the owner is to water with a hose.

I've done it by throwing a valve in for the faucet, put it on it's own program with no start time and simply running a manual program when needed. I've also done it by connecting the faucet to a low-flow (drip, etc.) zone and programming as to the client's needs to manually water.

Wet_Boots
06-09-2012, 12:30 PM
I would never make any assumption a client will be savvy with a controller. Much better to configure the system like a regular water supply, with a pressure tank, and either an ordinary pressure switch, or a more sophisticated control unit.

Mike Leary
06-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I would never make any assumption a client will be savvy with a controller. Much better to configure the system like a regular water supply, with a pressure tank, and either an ordinary pressure switch, or a more sophisticated control unit.

True, that's why ganging the faucet with another zone will work with the psr.

Duekster
06-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I am in agreement. The HO would be happier to just have the water come one when they open the hose.

If you depend on them to manually start and stop via timer and controller there is a risk of dead heading the pump. While in the short term it is ok but eventually the water heats up creates steam and the piping melts.

Listen to Boots.

Mike Leary
06-09-2012, 12:48 PM
I am in agreement. The HO would be happier to just have the water come one when they open the hose.

If you depend on them to manually start and stop via timer and controller there is a risk of dead heading the pump. While in the short term it is ok but eventually the water heats up creates steam and the piping melts.

With the newer pumping systems, "dead heading" is almost non- existent. But, I agree with the client "not being savvy" comment.

Duekster
06-09-2012, 12:53 PM
With the newer pumping systems, "dead heading" is almost non- existent. But, I agree with the client "not being savvy" comment.

They have a built in by pass then to make them idiot proof. If they can afford that pumping system they can afford a tank too. Does not change the fact what Boots said was the best design for the desired application.

Mike Leary
06-09-2012, 12:59 PM
They have a built in by pass then to make them idiot proof. If they can afford that pumping system they can afford a tank too. Does not change the fact what Boots said was the best design for the desired application.

Again, depends on the client, I've had some that knew the clock better than I did!

Duekster
06-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Again, depends on the client, I've had some that knew the clock better than I did!

That is not saying much is it? :laugh:

J/K

What is wrong with a pressure switch and pneumatic tank? It is a far better design for this application even if you have a fancy pump control set up with a by-pass

Kiril
06-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Use the house water for the spigot manual watering ..... problem solved.

Duekster
06-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Sort of, House water is potable and not as cheap as lake water. We do not know how much hose they will need to run either. I would assume it could be over 100 feet from the house.

Kiril
06-10-2012, 09:47 AM
The OP said the spigot was for watering potted plants, so I would think it would not only be close to the house (with a 75-100 foot hose range), but also not that much water in comparison to the rest of the landscape.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Water needs to be pressurized to a faucet at all times. House spigot seems prudent to me as well. Also eliminates the possibility someone will drink from the lake supplied spigot.

Duekster
06-10-2012, 10:29 AM
It seems the home owner wants the hose bib and one ( if not several) would assume she has one connected to the house already. So if this is the desired solution for the homeowner why did the OP mention adding one to the irrigation system?

txirrigation
06-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Sort of, House water is potable and not as cheap as lake water. We do not know how much hose they will need to run either. I would assume it could be over 100 feet from the house.

water is about $10 per 1000 gal. where I am in TX. Lets assume she gets 5gpm from the hose.

If she watered for 3hrs and 20min she would use a WHOLE $10 worth of water. Or you can set up a pump station just for the hose application which will work fine until the home owner gets smart and "adjusts" it.

I wonder how much $ it costs to run the pump for 3 hrs and 20min?

Is there a sarcasm font?

Sprinkus
06-10-2012, 10:46 AM
any advantage to running 1-1/2" 100' to the manifold instead?

Zones could be sized larger, less pressure loss, allows room for system expansion.

Duekster
06-10-2012, 10:47 AM
water is about $10 per 1000 gal. where I am in TX. Lets assume she gets 5gpm from the hose.

If she watered for 3hrs and 20min she would use a WHOLE $10 worth of water. Or you can set up a pump station just for the hose application which will work fine until the home owner gets smart and "adjusts" it.

I wonder how much $ it costs to run the pump for 3 hrs and 20min?

Is there a sarcasm font? :rolleyes:

How big a pump?

Wet_Boots
06-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Say, do they make purple-handle hose bibs for indicating non-potable water?

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I understand purple paint is available

Duekster
06-10-2012, 11:11 AM
OK Ok, lets assume a 5HP pump....

.746 KW / HP = 3.73 KWH

x 3.3 Hours is = 12.3 KWH X $0.1 / KW = $1.23

Now we know that the flow through the hose is around 10 GPM.

Hooked to a pneumatic tank the pump would run 30% the time depending on the size of the tank. 30% RT is a worse case on a single hose and 5 HP pump.

Duekster
06-10-2012, 11:12 AM
I understand purple paint is available

Just put primer on it :laugh: