PDA

View Full Version : thinking of going enclosed

gcbailey
06-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Right now our current lineup is a 5x12 2' mesh sides (Leonard), 6x16 2' mesh (Kaufman), and a 6x10 (???) that we primarily use to haul off brush, shrubs, etc...

I'm thinking about adding to the fleet or replacing the 5x12 with an enclosed trailer. I haven't really looked at brands before but locally I have a Leonard dealer and about 100 miles away in Roanoke, VA there is a Pro Line dealer and about 60 miles away a Homesteader dealer. I don't want anything too wide, I would rather have something like a 6x14 but can't really find one. I will probably have to go with 7x14. There are a lot of narrow curvy roads with deep ditches in WV and I just don't like the thought of dropping one off too much.

Here's some questions for you all....

- V-Nose, are they worth it, does the V count as additional length to the "box" portion or is it additional to it? So on a 7x14 does the 14 include the V?

- As far as weighing them down, is there anything to worry about concerning if I go with a fold rear ramp vs. barn doors and a ramp? Talking about a 48" Laser Z w/200lb rider probably the heaviest thing on it.

- It seems like the Pro Line trailers are the cheapest things I've came across, I've always believed you get what you pay for, so is that the case with them too?

- Anything else I should consider? I would like to see some options side by side but googling I just can't find any dealers locally within 1.5 hours outside of the Leonard dealer and the only thing he stocks is a 5x8 and 5x10 single axle, everything else is special order.

JABBERS
06-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I have a 8.5 x 20 and I love it. I really don' like the v nose. It cuts down on how sharp you can back up. I have a couple open trailers but will not buy another open trailer to haul mowers around.

KrayzKajun
06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
The v-nose is not included with the length of the box. Get a ramp door. I love my enclosed its 8.5 x 18 w/ v-nose. Always go one size bigger than you think you need.

Poorboy's landscaping
06-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I have a 7x16 enclosed V nose and wish I would have when 8.5 x 16. So go bigger then u need for room to expand. With a V nose it like an extra 1.5 ft up front. Great for a shelf. That how mine set up.

With 7 ft it get very tight with a 60 rear bagger Z and stuff on the walls. It works. I don't use it much but at home.

Now I had a 12.5 x 60" single axle open trailer last year. After switching to an enclosed I will not go back. It nice going place right from cutting and knowing everything locked up inside. I just drop the trailer at the end of the night and leave it at the lot I rent. No unloading stuff. IMO it the best invest I made next to a Mexican!
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
06-09-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm not so worried about loading/unloading as my garage/shop is big enough to just back the trailers in and drop them off, I am just getting more and more concerned about having both guys around back at large properties, we lock everything down, but still yet.

I like the sounds of a v-nose, but I really need to get a hands on look. Any preferences in brands or are they all about the same?