PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about "rooting" trees???

Pro-turf lawn
06-09-2012, 11:44 PM
I have a female ginko tree in my yard that I planted a few years back this year it sprouted new shoots from the base, I cut them and put them in water with rooting powder, we have great luck doing this with rose of sherron but I just didn't know about an actual tree. Thanks for any help

Dr.NewEarth
06-10-2012, 12:15 AM
I've never tried that with a Ginko. There are different rooting hormones available. Some for small plants, some for larger.

Does your female Ginko ever flower, because they smell like puke!

Pro-turf lawn
06-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Dr. New Earth I think it's a male it docent flower or produce the little the cherry-type things. but you seem to know a lot I put tree spikes around it and the tips of the leaves turned brown and started dying at the top of the tree and it's working it's way down?

Dr.NewEarth
06-10-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm guessing it's fertlizer burn. Were the roots damaged? I wonder what other types of stresses it could be reacting to?

Dr.NewEarth
06-10-2012, 01:51 PM
The Admin. edited my post last night. It was much longer.

Normally when the leaves go brown along the edges such as you have reported, it's a fertilizer burn. Can you remove the stakes?

When a tree is in decline from the top down, it could be caused by abiotic or biotic factors. (caused by people or vectors/disease)

Was the rootball ever damaged? Even if the nursery dropped it off of the truck, it could have an effect later on the trees health. Or, there could be an insect or a disease problem with the roots.

agrostis
06-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I have used rooting hormone powder and it work's well. But it seem's like the more woody a plant is the less it will root successfully. But you never know, some plant's root easily, and i have never tried to root a ginko.

Dr.NewEarth
06-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm guessing it's fertlizer burn. Were the roots damaged? I wonder what other types of stresses it could be reacting to?

I wonder why the second and third posts by me are on this page? Perhaps

they got misdirected when the admin. edited what I wrote for another member the other night
???

sorry for this.

andyslawncare
06-13-2012, 11:24 PM
I haven't rooted any trees yet, but I do successfully root several hardwood shrubs from cuttings. I use seed starting plastic domes that I buy at walmart for about $3. The 'domes' come with a 72 1'' pot tray. I use a mix of 2 parts potting soil, 2 parts compost, and 1 part crushed pine bark. If you use a dome system, you don't want to keep it outside during the summer, as it will burn your cuttings really fast. I root some of my plants inside in the domes that retain humidity, and most of them outside in open pots. My open pots receive 10 minute blasts from micro sprays on my drip irrigation system 3-4 times per day. I would use a cutting 4-6'', remove all but 2 or 3 leaves, and cut the leaves in half to reduce transpiration. Tricky business without a temperature controlled greenhouse. I hope your not propagating a female tree!