PDA

View Full Version : How to fix ruts in yard?

cpllawncare
06-10-2012, 04:20 AM
I was called to a house that has been rutted up pretty bad, she just fired her previous LCO and ask if I could fix her lawn, I know it can be done just not sure of the best method, it's about 6K sq feet of centipede, I was thinking sand but wasn't sure if this would be the best method?

cgaengineer
06-10-2012, 05:13 AM
You can use a pitchfork to raise the soil back if not too bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

easy-lift guy
06-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Sounds bad enough for top soil be layed over affective area and rake level. Have done many times with St.. Augustine and Argentine Bahia.
easy-lift guy

Duekster
06-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Big fan of compost or a mix mostly of compost instead of top soil.

cpllawncare
06-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I was thinking top soil or compost also she said they had had sand brought in once before, my question was why sand?

Duekster
06-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I was thinking top soil or compost also she said they had had sand brought in once before, my question was why sand?

Sand is common in the piedmont area but in your area? Compost will improve the soil be it sand, clay or loam.

kirk1701
06-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Big fan of compost or a mix mostly of compost instead of top soil.

Will be doing it that way myself this fall, have some areas now where we had tree stumps ground and I filled in 6 years ago we'll now the rest of the stumps are rotted and the ground is settling so I got holes in the yard.

Duekster
06-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Will be doing it that way myself this fall, have some areas now where we had tree stumps ground and I filled in 6 years ago we'll now the rest of the stumps are rotted and the ground is settling so I got holes in the yard.

Deep holes should not be 100% compost. That would be a top soil / compost blend. I would then blend that 50 / 50 with the native soil then level.

kirk1701
06-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Deep holes should not be 100% compost. That would be a top soil / compost blend. I would then blend that 50 / 50 with the native soil then level.

Yea, sorry thats what I'm using. The place has it 50/50 or you can buy compost or topsoil.

I have a few projects planned for this fall I'll be starting a thread on one soon for additional landscaping idea's.

Plus aerating this fall

wildstarblazer
06-10-2012, 10:59 PM
If you only use top soil or a mix or whatever without adding new sod, the weeds will grow in before the grass grows back in. Cent doesn't creep fast like st. Aug does.
Without seeing the site it's hard to give advise but I have fixed ruts before by aerating the compacted spots with a pitch fork and then put sod right over it without adding soil cause it sat down level just with the soil on the sod pieces.

If you do use soil, some also recommend a soil and sand mix not sure the compost is needed.

cgaengineer
06-10-2012, 11:29 PM
If you only use top soil or a mix or whatever without adding new sod, the weeds will grow in before the grass grows back in. Cent doesn't creep fast like st. Aug does.
Without seeing the site it's hard to give advise but I have fixed ruts before by aerating the compacted spots with a pitch fork and then put sod right over it without adding soil cause it sat down level just with the soil on the sod pieces.

If you do use soil, some also recommend a soil and sand mix not sure the compost is needed.

This...no soil needed
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare
06-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Centipede responds well to a top soil/sand/compost mix as a top dressing. Have used it several times for same problems. Your mix will depend on the amount of soil you need. If you need 1.5 yard total, have your supplier mix .5 yard of each together before loading your truck. Centipede is fairly slow to recover, though at the same time, most centipede lawns I see haven't received proper nutrients. Feed centipede with liquid iron and seed over the areas you put the soil mix. The seed is slow to germinate and establish...up to 60 days for 3/4'' plant.