PDA

View Full Version : Peanuts

Richard Martin
12-30-2002, 09:57 AM
How many of you guys ever have to deal with Styrofoam peanuts? You know the kind that are used for packing materials. I had to pick up about 500 of them out of a customer's yard last week. Charged 'em 10 bucks extra.

TJLC
12-30-2002, 10:05 AM
Richard, please don't get me started on the styrofoam peanuts. I am constantly picking them up on my commercials.

xpnd
12-30-2002, 11:02 AM
If you have enough of them they can make a pretty winter scene in the middle of the summer. My service agreements contain an up front clause that we will not pick up packaging peanuts, dryer lint, or the remains of toilet papered houses (full rolls will be picked up). If it is there when we come we just mow it up.

jsnrub
12-30-2002, 11:10 AM
10 bucks! sounds like you let em off pretty cheap:dizzy:

Gravely_Man
12-30-2002, 12:09 PM
I agree depending on how spread out they were it sounds like you were quite the nice guy. That would take some time if they were everywhere and not just in one spot. Either way not a fun task I would imagine.

Gravely_Man

Richard Martin
12-30-2002, 01:39 PM
It took me about a half hour to get them all up. I was there to do the last leaf mulch and since it only took about a half hour at 35 bucks I threw a discount on the peanut "harvesting".

xpnd wrote:

If it is there when we come we just mow it up.

So you're saying that when you are done there is Styrofoam trash all over the lawn?

ProMo
12-30-2002, 04:42 PM
they mulch up pretty good for me the worst ive seen was when a guy hit the sunday paper what a mess

xpnd
12-30-2002, 08:07 PM
What I'm saying is that the time necessary to remove packing peanuts can equal or easily exceed the time it takes to perform a residential mowing job. Time is time and that time is not built into my estimate. If they want a crew of three men to chase down packing peanuts that long then they can expect a a bill 2X what it should be. We routinely pick up litter from the lawns but we stop short of combing a lawn for what I define as nuisance litter. If you pick up packing peanuts why not pick up every cigarrete butt before you mow. They are of equal size and in my opinion the filtered ones make more of a mess than mulched peanuts. My service agreements are highly specific about what we do and don't do. We move trampolines one time onto a finished turf area, garden hoses will be moved but not recoiled on the holder, if there are so many toys on the lawn the mowers have to be stopped to clear the yard, the area is not serviced and no discount is given, locked gates are not my problem if I don't have the combination and finally I have no use for Bois D' Arc fruit. There are more than enough reasonable customers out there that I have decided not to work for ones with unrealistic expectations who seem to think I am a not for profit organization. If you think this is severe check out what a maid service will and won't do unless you pay the extra fees. And finally to answer the question asked of me, yes the remenants of mulched packing peanuts are left on the lawn. They are so small they can hardly be seen and blow away in an hour or so.

rvsuper
12-30-2002, 08:31 PM
This past summer I got a commercial account at a local Agricultral Tractor Parts warehouse. There was cardboard from the warehouse all over the ditch that had about a 13 degree slope to it, so every time I had to mow there, I would mow over the smaller stuff, but I had to pick up the bigger stuff. And since I was along a major Hi-Way, there would always be pop cans, paper bags, a few times some diapers, it goes on and on. So I finally told them that this is getting outrageous and that they should pick it up instead of me because I am on a schedule and need to be in and out as fast as I can. They finally agreed to do so, and has been that way since. Another thing that I hated mowing when I didnt see them, was those metal straps they used to seal the big packages, made a heck of a noise getting mowed over.

SDlawndawg
12-30-2002, 10:44 PM
I mow a restaraunt in town that always has trash. Cigarette butts to flyers to whatever. It's always a mess. If I didn't have my peco vacuum, it would be a major chore. I sucked up an entire newspaper with it last summer.

bob
12-30-2002, 11:07 PM
I tell any one who helps me that styrofoam is the one thing that you MUST pick up. For some reason when you run over it with the mower, it multiplies to even more than you started with.

ProMo
12-31-2002, 09:11 AM
they sell potting soil with little pieces of styrofoam in it to help with drainage

GroundKprs
12-31-2002, 12:09 PM
Many of the packing peanuts I see today are biodegradable. Some white ones made of styrofoam are still in use. But if it is off color white, green, or other color it is likely the dissolvable type. Try one in a glass of water, dissolves in a short time.

So if you see the old white ones, yes, they'd have to be picked up to do a nice job. But the others will just dissolve in the next rainfall or irrigation.

rodfather
12-31-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by GroundKprs
Many of the packing peanuts I see today are biodegradable. Some white ones made of styrofoam are still in use. But if it is off color white, green, or other color it is likely the dissolvable type. Try one in a glass of water, dissolves in a short time.

So if you see the old white ones, yes, they'd have to be picked up to do a nice job. But the others will just dissolve in the next rainfall or irrigation.

huh...I never knew they made them biodegradeable? Learned something new today.

Ryan Lightning
12-31-2002, 10:16 PM
They make some you can eat, but they dont taste good.:p

SLS
01-01-2003, 03:10 AM
Not only do the edible ones taste bad...but they are very sticky when wet. It makes 'em hard to swallow. They do stick to the ribs though.

Glad those 'lean' days are over. :D

lawncare3
01-01-2003, 04:46 AM
I tell any one who helps me that styrofoam is the one thing that you MUST pick up. For some reason when you run over it with the mower, it multiplies to even more than you started with.
LOL LMAO I agree! But, I just run them over if there then it's there fault I have no guilt in fact I think it's fun.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-01-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by xpnd
What I'm saying is that the time necessary to remove packing peanuts can equal or easily exceed the time it takes to perform a residential mowing job. Time is time and that time is not built into my estimate. If they want a crew of three men to chase down packing peanuts that long then they can expect a a bill 2X what it should be. We routinely pick up litter from the lawns but we stop short of combing a lawn for what I define as nuisance litter. If you pick up packing peanuts why not pick up every cigarrete butt before you mow. They are of equal size and in my opinion the filtered ones make more of a mess than mulched peanuts. My service agreements are highly specific about what we do and don't do. We move trampolines one time onto a finished turf area, garden hoses will be moved but not recoiled on the holder, if there are so many toys on the lawn the mowers have to be stopped to clear the yard, the area is not serviced and no discount is given, locked gates are not my problem if I don't have the combination and finally I have no use for Bois D' Arc fruit. There are more than enough reasonable customers out there that I have decided not to work for ones with unrealistic expectations who seem to think I am a not for profit organization. If you think this is severe check out what a maid service will and won't do unless you pay the extra fees. And finally to answer the question asked of me, yes the remenants of mulched packing peanuts are left on the lawn. They are so small they can hardly be seen and blow away in an hour or so.

I thought everyone should read this again.

BTW what is Bois D` Arc Fruit?

And no we don't pick up much trash, it gets moved to the side that has been mowed.

r.eckley
01-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Dont you hate them ? Ihave found it only takes a few mins. longer
to pick up most trash and it sure makes the job look like it was done by a profesional instead of a neighborhood kid. I have an
48" easy reacher &mounted a small plastic wastbasket on
frame of my z-master. Also have SH85 Sthil vac that works good
on trash pickup