PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia leaves

Richard Martin
12-30-2002, 10:00 AM
How do you guys handle weekly Magnolia leaves. I live in the transition zone and we have a few Magnolia trees. The leaves fall off of these things year round and are a pain to clean up every week.

Premo Services
12-30-2002, 10:53 AM
They are a real pain in the you know what-what!!!!!!:mad:
What I do is use my eb7000 to get them out of landscape areas and then mulch em with the walkbehind, or if there are a lot mulch em and put in bags and haul away.

Gravely_Man
12-30-2002, 12:16 PM
They are a real pain is one way to look at them or a real money maker is another way to view them. I include this in the bid and whenever I see a Magnolia tree on the property that I am bidding on. I remove them and do not mulch them up.

Gravely_Man

Rhett
12-30-2002, 12:21 PM
The leaves are not bad if yu keep up with them. I hate the dog gone heads that fall off about 6 monthes out of the year. Just muclh the leaves up every week

crazygator
12-30-2002, 01:42 PM
I found that they would not mulch very easy. So I would just put into the price picking them up. Maybe not every week but every 2 so it wouldnt get out of hand.

SLS
12-30-2002, 02:51 PM
I took a chainsaw to my magnolia. No more mess. :D

I avoid them like the plague.

Popsicle
12-30-2002, 04:16 PM
We rake them out of the beds and haul off. Those heads are definately a hassle.

:mad:

KenH
12-30-2002, 05:05 PM
Do you know what is worse than Magnolia leaves???

Locust Pods:( :(

65hoss
12-30-2002, 05:16 PM
I have a couple properties that have them, but they are not great lawns, so I just mulch them with the mulch kits and roll on.

BRL
12-31-2002, 10:08 PM
Interesting to read. I have 2 decent sized ones in my back yard, but they only drop once in the fall, and they mulch up just fine. Even if I leave them sit & pile up for the whole wet fall, which is what happened this year :( I agree the seed pods are a pain though, i try to rake them up when they're heavy instead of dulling the blades quicker than necessary.

Locust pods are the worst! And if you don't haul them away they start to smell really nasty. They were thick at my son's school and when we walk there he'd hold his nose through the section where they hadn't been cleaned up by the grounds crew LOL

LAWNGODFATHER
01-01-2003, 05:50 AM
Same as any other leaf out of leaf season.

They get ran over once a week till we pick leaves up.

awm
01-01-2003, 06:06 AM
i dropped my magnolia customer.
she didnt like it that i charged exsta for the leaf clean up. but i finally decided that was all i could do an come out.
like u said its a never ending, leaf job.

Gene $immons
01-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Magnolia trees are the worst, charge extra for the clean-up time. sycamore and sweetgum are also messy trees!

IGROTURF
01-01-2003, 08:34 PM
:) THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO IS TO LIMB UP THE MAGS.

ALSO HOW ABOUT PULLING OUT THE MULCH BED UNDER THE DRIPLINE OF THE MAGS, THEY HAVE A VERY SHALLOW ROOT SYSTEM THAT YOU WILL NEVER GROW TURF.

HAVE A GREAT NEW YEARS!!!
IGROTURF IN N.C.

MikeLT1Z28
01-01-2003, 08:41 PM
i guess this is where running the GHS most of the time comes in handy. the heads... different story.

Mark
01-02-2003, 12:19 AM
I have several clients with the Magnolias, and they are very large and drop many leafs, I mulch what i can then blow the rest out and haul them away, but i charge enough that i make good money.......Marks Mowing Service