PDA

View Full Version : Jury rigging equipment

Richard Martin
12-30-2002, 09:04 AM
I just wanted to get an idea of how many people fix their equipment right the first time when it breaks, jusry rig it until a permanent fix can be made or just jury rig it until it won't go any longer. You can just vote on the poll or you can leave a comment about what you do and why.

At this time all of my eqipment is 100% except for my Husky chainsaw. It needs a new chain.

Richard Martin
12-30-2002, 09:12 AM
How can this many people view this poll and not "vote"? You can be honest because we have no way of knowing who you are unless you leave a comment.

Heller Landscaping
12-30-2002, 09:16 AM
I fix it right away, if I do not it will haunt me later. :)

TJLC
12-30-2002, 09:20 AM
Richard, I voted " Fix it right the first time". If it's something simple that I feel confident fixing, I will do it myself but if not. it goes straight to the dealer where I bought it. I try to have backups for all my equipment to avoid excessive down time.

KenH
12-30-2002, 09:47 AM
Isnt it "jerry rig.??"

I fix it temp. if Im on the job and do not have the parts, but then I fix it ASAP.

GroundKprs
12-30-2002, 09:55 AM
I love a new piece of equipment. Means this winter I get to take it all apart, to see how it works, and put it back together again. Then when it breaks down on a job, I know if it's something to fix now right here, fix this Saturday, or wait until winter or send to shop for a real fix.

Usually no sense in wasting time for a jury rig, might as well do it right. But my best example of functional jury rig: throttle spring breaks on mower carb, so it can't maintain rpm's; engine dies as soon as blade hits uncut grass. 75% of this lawn done, and would waste 30-40 minutes to go get a part and return to job. Break out the coathanger, it's the same diameter as the hole for the spring on throttle shaft (remember, I took this machine ALL apart, LOL). Take 30 sec to bend coathanger to right angles, and finish mowing by manual throttle control. Then go to shop to get new spring and install - coathanger saved 30-40 minutes that day.

xpnd
12-30-2002, 10:07 AM
I carry enough back-ups so that if a machine goes down, it goes to the front of the trailer until the last job when it is put at the end. At the shop that night it is pulled and fixed right. Incomplete or partial repairs are time wasters and money losers.

bubble boy
12-30-2002, 10:19 AM
temp fix for the day. or it goes to the dealer and the back up comes off the bench.

wouldn't spend more than 15 min though.

rkbrown
12-30-2002, 11:05 AM
Agree with Bubble Boy. If it breaks down in the field, I fix it with whatever method/tools are available to me...and do it quickly. When I get it home, I try to fix it properly or take it to the dealer.

Gravely_Man
12-30-2002, 11:07 AM
I will fix it right the first time unless I am really under the gun to get the job done and can Jerry-Rig within a few moments. When I get back to the shop it is fixed that night the right way. I expect a lot from my equipment but to be realistic I need to make sure it is all operating correctly to avoid downtime.

Gravely_Man

Tvov
12-30-2002, 11:47 AM
We usually jury rig until we can get back to the shop to fix it correctly, but some equipment stays "jury rigged". Our rolling blowers, for example, always seem to have throttle controls that "creep" towards down throttle, and throwing a bungy cord on them fixes it just fine. I don't know how many throttle cables I replaced, and carbs that I adjusted (tightened, whichever), until we've gotten to the point where we just use the blowers with the bungy cords.

I usually tell my guys that if a piece of equipment breaks down, take 5 minutes to try to fix it, if they can't, grab one of the backup pieces to finish the work (which is why we have backups for everything, usually the older equipment that still runs but is in rough shape). I will usually fix the equipment after hours back at the shop.

Tony Harrell
12-30-2002, 11:56 AM
I do WHAT I have to do WHEN I have to do it. Meaning, if I have to JR something, it's done right when I can get it done. Otherwise it bothers me. I bought new wheel pulleys 2 weeks before the season ended because they were annoying the poopoo out of me. I guess I had thought about replacing them during the downtime and not being able to try them out. Anxiety got the better of me!

eslawns
12-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Not only will I fix it right, sometimes I'll fix it better. The baffling on one of my old mowers came apart where the weld had worn. I put a piece of flat bar and welded it where it was to start and back about 3". I also replaced the aluminum spindles on my Encore mower with cast iron ones from a Scag. It's like a whole different mower and I don't need to rebuild them after leaf season like I used to.

Isnt it "jerry rig.??"

NO! It's jury rig. Just like it's I couldn't care less. and not I could care less and chest of drawers and not chester drawers. :p

Runner
12-30-2002, 01:48 PM
But I thought jury rigging was something only the rich and the dangerously powerful could do!~:p
I fix it right, or better than it originally was (which as we all know, doesn't take much in many cases), and sometimes I'll do whatever it takes to get it through the day. It's nice to be able to carry around a half of a hardware store around with you! :)

Brickman
12-30-2002, 02:34 PM
I usually mickey mouse things together until I get home at night and can fix it. That is if it can be. If not then we quit early that day. And go fix it right.

65hoss
12-30-2002, 03:27 PM
I do whatever is necessary in the field. That is where your making money. Then after its finished its day working, I fix it correctly.

Bob Minney
12-30-2002, 03:46 PM
In the tool box for emergency repairs

Nuts, bolts, screws, cotter pins
Bailing wire
hose clamps
bungee cords
DUCT TAPE

Richard Martin
12-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Bob Minney wrote:

DUCT TAPE

I'm sorry Bob but I can't resisit. This is one of those odd facts that I know. The correct slang name for the tape you are referring to is DUCK TAPE. DUCK TAPE was invented during WWII. The military had a need for a tape that they could use to seal ammo boxes and other things that shouldn't get wet. The tape that was developed was so water resistant that soldiers in the field said that it shed water like a duck and started calling it DUCK TAPE. The name stuck and that is what it is called today. It was only after WWII that the secret weapon was released to the public and that is when the HVAC industry started using it to seal ductwork. I realize that you can buy DUCK TAPE packaged as duct tape but it's every bit as wrong as calling a copier a Xerox machine when it's not made by Xerox.

That is your fun fact for the day.

xpnd
12-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Duck or Duct tape can fix anything.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
12-30-2002, 08:12 PM
I agree with Bubble boy ,jerry rig to get the job done then fix it right

SDlawndawg
12-30-2002, 09:35 PM
Duckt tape, bungy cords, rope, trimmer line, whatever it takes to make it through the day. Most breakdowns for me are flat tires. I carry lots of tire plugs. Best invention ever next to duckt tape.

lawncare3
12-30-2002, 09:48 PM
The name stuck and that is what it is called today. It was only after WWII that the secret weapon was released to the public and that is when the HVAC industry started using it to seal ductwork.
Does anyone seriously use it for duct repair?

bubble boy
12-30-2002, 09:49 PM
this is why every spring i try and go by the dealers with the guys...just so their faces are familiar. then they can go on their own and still be front of the line... instead of taking 3/4 of an hour in the field, 5 min drive to the dealer for a ten minute repair. even at the $ cost still often worth it, mostly the part has gone missing anyway...

bob
12-30-2002, 10:05 PM
If I have the part, it's fixed right. If I don't have it or can't get it right away, I'll rig something up. I broke a plastic hydro fitting on my mower. The dealer had to order the $5 part. I went to the hardware store and got the parts to rig it, other wise the mower would have been a $10,000 paper weight for the week!

Flex-Deck
12-30-2002, 11:37 PM
I use my late grandfathers deal - TTTW - That stands for Tin - Tar - Turpentine and Wire - Nowadays add - Bungies. Over the years I used to jerry rig, but now can pretty much anticipate parts I should carry - which are basically none since I run JD 455's - the most reliable machine on earth.http://Wide Deck

geogunn
12-31-2002, 12:37 AM
I once broke the starter rope on my lesco, 14-kaw...about 9:30 AM.

it was a very important day for mowing so I had the choice, fix it and not finish the day or leave it running and mow like heck.

and mow like heck I did.

over the evening and next AM, the starter rope was replaced and all was right with the world.

so I don't know if I jerry rigged or fixed it right.:confused:

I got the job done so I don't guess it mattered.

GEO

McNeal Lawn
12-31-2002, 08:40 AM
Jury rig repairs are an evil necessity in the field, but only when I feel that emergency repair can be safely done in repect to personel and the equipment.

Richard Martin
01-01-2003, 12:14 AM
ttt

lawncare3
01-01-2003, 02:54 AM
I once broke the starter rope on my lesco, 14-kaw...about 9:30 AM.
Myne is still started with a tie down strap and that's 1 season later!:D

LAWNGODFATHER
01-01-2003, 04:39 AM
Only thing that get's rigged is tubes for the peco vacs with "DUCK TAPE", everything else gets fixed right if possable at the time it went down.

crawdad
01-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by KenH
Isnt it "jerry rig.??"

One entry found for jury-rig.

Main Entry: ju∑ry-rig
Pronunciation: 'jur-E-"rig, -'rig
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: 2jury
Date: 1788
: to erect, construct, or arrange in a makeshift fashion

Doogiegh
01-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Runner
[B]But I thought jury rigging was something only the rich and the dangerously powerful could do!~:p

Like O.J.??

SDlawndawg
01-01-2003, 04:26 PM
ditto LGF about peco vacuum tubes. Mine are notorious for getting holes in them. LOT'S and LOT's of tape for them.