PDA

View Full Version : mower/engine decision?

cville
12-30-2002, 11:55 AM
After much research here and at other forums, I have decided on getting a belt-drive, WB, fixed 48" to mow my 1 acre home lot.

I have narrowed the choice down to two mowers - a Metro with a 15 hp Kohler or a Scag with a 17 hp Kaw. I am leaning toward the Scag because I really got interested in the Kaw engine when I was shopping riders and was convinced that I shouldn't get any other engine.

Is there a significant difference in these engines? Should I wait till I can get a Metro with a Kaw (my local dealer doesn't have any now and won't until the '03's come in and they will not have discounted price tags -the Metro is 2399, the Scag is 2849)?. Or, as a homeowner would the Kohler engine be adequate?

Thanks for any advice

gene gls
12-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Kohler would be best for you.

Gene

ksland
12-30-2002, 09:35 PM
The exmark with the Kohler would suit your needs and some.

cville
01-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Is there a difference in the reverse between the Scag and Xmark?

In the catalogs, Scag describes the reverse as up to 3 mph, Xmark just says its an assist. Is the Scag reverse any more of a positve reverse?

grassdaddy
01-01-2003, 10:12 AM
i have a2002 scag 17/48 belt drive w/b.my friend has a exmark 17/48 belt drive wb,its about 4yrs old.both have that same peerless 5spd trans,scags rev.is just an assist too,and not much assist at that!both are very well built .neither of us can tell a nickles worth of difference between the two.what we agree on most is power-we both would like a 19or21hp!!--15hp is not enough.my 17 in high grass is weak,and pulling me (215lbs)on hills ,it definatally knows i'm back there.:cool:

cville
01-01-2003, 11:11 AM
thanks Grassdaddy,

that is helpful to know. I have a bad back and am worried about having to wrestle with the mower too much, however, being a homeower, its hard to justify the hydro. Though I don't plan to use a sulky (need the exercise) so it seemed the 15 was enough hp.

Is there a belt drive with a positive reverse?

cville
01-02-2003, 02:18 PM
or maybe I should just go with a hydro? at least the resale would be better.

fprintf
01-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by cville
or maybe I should just go with a hydro? at least the resale would be better.

What difference does resale make to a homeowner? Well at least to me it makes very little difference.

I plan to die sometime in the next 40 years and leave my walkbehind to my kids. At homeowner usage and with proper maintenance the mower will probably outlast me. If I outlast the mower then resale is not much of an issue cause it'll be worth about the same hydro or gear.

Buy the mower to keep it for the long haul.

cville
01-03-2003, 02:11 PM
that's a good point, but I'm not real sure how long we are going to be at this porperty. Maybe not more than five or so years. That was my initail thought but I will probably go with a belt drive if I can get a demo and if I find that it doesn't require too much wrestling. I was hoping to get some imput on that point - how much more one has to man-handle a belt drive?

Thanks though, you bring a good point.