PDA

View Full Version : drive xlr8 sucks!

woodlawnservice
06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I bought this for use on crabgrass here in Oklahoma.... I've applied 2 Apps at Max rate and this does not affect the crabgrass at all! It kills the smaller weaker crabgrass but the larger kind it hasn't hurt it the slightest bit with weather being in high 80s to low. 90s. Very disszppointed in this product.... Ive bbeen told to use q4?
Posted via Mobile Device

pinto n mwr
06-10-2012, 11:38 PM
I just bought some. What did you mix it with. I didn't want to buy q4 because of the cost and the high mix rate.

lawns Etc
06-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I like Q4. But drive will work but must use surfectant.
Posted via Mobile Device

woodlawnservice
06-11-2012, 12:24 AM
I just bought some. What did you mix it with. I didn't want to buy q4 because of the cost and the high mix rate.

That's why I bought it as well but I believe it was a mistake now. Seriously this stuff hasn't even weakened the large crabgrass....
Posted via Mobile Device

woodlawnservice
06-11-2012, 12:26 AM
I like Q4. But drive will work but must use surfectant.
Posted via Mobile Device

I did use surfectant with it... I combined drive with trimec to spot spray with. I smoked all my boadleaf stuff and sedges r drying but crabgrass is healthy as ever...
Posted via Mobile Device

maelawncare
06-11-2012, 08:33 AM
I did use surfectant with it... I combined drive with trimec to spot spray with. I smoked all my boadleaf stuff and sedges r drying but crabgrass is healthy as ever...
Posted via Mobile Device

What surfactant? Drive needs MSO. If you were spraying for broadleaf as well as crab you should have went with Q4 to begin with. But two apps of drive will work if used properly and their not in drought conditions.

lawns Etc
06-11-2012, 06:52 PM
I like Q4 it works well on basically everything I control! I was and still am a fan of Trimec Plus, I still have 10 plus gallons of it bought pre ban.

woodlawnservice
06-11-2012, 07:17 PM
So heres the delima then... spend.money to order mso and try drive with that specific brand...or take my losses and just go buy q4... the drive has given me a bad taste now it seems I have wasted my money on it... wish mama was still around...lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Think Green
06-11-2012, 07:23 PM
(Quinclorac) is used by rice farmers under a different name--of course. The trick in agri culture is quinclorac applied when the fields are irrigated to about 2 inches of depth.

Was this lawn irrigated prior and at least 48 hours afterwards.?? The use of a MSO is very beneficial to penetrate the waxy cuticle of the crabgrass. I use MSO with Certainty also for sedge.

Kylec3
06-11-2012, 09:30 PM
isnt the chemical in drive the same thats in q4 for crabgrass? i could be wrong...have had good results with both..i believe drive only works good on beginning stages and full grown stages of crabgrass but not middle stages

lawns Etc
06-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Same chem different ratio.

pinto n mwr
06-12-2012, 12:27 AM
I have used the original Drive, pellet formulation, with excellent result mixed with momentum/3-way with sticker in the past. Chose the liquid drive for easier mixing in turfco. Not blanket app, just curb lines and select problem areas. With the responses hear I may have to rethink my purchase, or do test plots at different rates.

avernon0112
06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
I have used Drive XLR8 now for two seasons at the 1.45 oz rate with crop oil. I have had good success with it. If the first app did not kill it the second did. I am talking small plants and large plants producing seed. I use a tank spray at a rate of 2gallons per k. I also cut irrigation off the day before and after the application.

woodlawnservice
06-12-2012, 02:54 PM
what kind of sticker can i use? does it have to be an oil because i used a 80/20 non ionic Surfactant and it hasnt killed anything at a rate of 1.4 per 1000. im spraying 4 gal per 1000 as well.

woodlawnservice
06-12-2012, 02:58 PM
would li-700 work with it?

avernon0112
06-12-2012, 08:14 PM
what kind of sticker can i use? does it have to be an oil because i used a 80/20 non ionic Surfactant and it hasnt killed anything at a rate of 1.4 per 1000. im spraying 4 gal per 1000 as well.

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld8LD000.pdf
The Sticker and non ionic surfactant does not work. The label says to use a MSO or Crop Oil for best results. I have learned the hard way to take a few extra minutes to read the entire label. It will save you lots of time, call backs from customers, and in the end money.

maelawncare
06-13-2012, 08:30 AM
The Sticker and non ionic surfactant does not work. The label says to use a MSO or Crop Oil for best results. I have learned the hard way to take a few extra minutes to read the entire label. It will save you lots of time, call backs from customers, and in the end money.

Yes, you would have done a lot better if you actually read the label before you went out and wasted chemical.

RigglePLC
06-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Make sure the grass you are trying to kill is actually crabgrass. Drive works fine for me.
However...I have also heard that it works on young and old crabgrass, but not in-between partially mature stages. Exactly what stages are we talking about? 6 inches wide? 12 inches?

Maybe i will have a chance to experiment. Thinking. MSO? Sticker? Hawkeye?

avernon0112
06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Make sure the grass you are trying to kill is actually crabgrass. Drive works fine for me.
However...I have also heard that it works on young and old crabgrass, but not in-between partially mature stages. Exactly what stages are we talking about? 6 inches wide? 12 inches?

Maybe i will have a chance to experiment. Thinking. MSO? Sticker? Hawkeye?

If you do some trials let us know what you see. Take pictures!

Kylec3
06-13-2012, 09:55 PM
i think i add hawkeye to the drive...works fine for me..typically im only using it on mature crabgrass

johnsonslawnmanagement
06-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Be sure to use MSO at label specified rate or Drivexlr8 will not work. Also: are you sure it's Crabgrass and not Dallisgrass? My experience is a one time treatment with Drivexlr8 smokes crabgrass but will not touch Dallisgrass. Not using MSO is your misstep.
Posted via Mobile Device

woodlawnservice
06-19-2012, 10:01 PM
I cannot find mso locally... do you think I can substitute it with an oil based sticker? One thats derived from like soybeans.possibly li-700??
Posted via Mobile Device

avernon0112
06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
What part of OK you in?

Grady1
07-14-2012, 01:16 PM

2 app's of Drive with NON IONIC surfacant 7 days apart, irrigated 2 days before and 2 after, with Basagran for Sedge, smoked it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/CuttnRun/CrabgrassSmoked-11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/CuttnRun/CrabgrassSmoked-12.jpg

Cadzilla
07-14-2012, 02:11 PM
2 app's of Drive with NON IONIC surfacant 7 days apart, irrigated 2 days before and 2 after, with Basagran for Sedge, smoked it!

I would hope so.

avernon0112
07-14-2012, 11:18 PM
[B]2 app's of Drive with NON IONIC surfacant 7 days apart, irrigated 2 days before and 2 after, with Basagran for Sedge,

I am glad it did. I tried that on one building (drive and non ionic) last year. It stressed a little but it came back. It didn't seem to work for Woodlawn. Maybe the Basagran had something to do with it? Or you had the perfect conditions. Adjusting the irrigation is a key thing it getting this stuff to work. I may try a building Monday using the NI surfactant and see how that goes.