PDA

View Full Version : Door to door mulch offer $60 per yard installed?

RonWin
06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Looking at a lot of the lots in my neighborhood the beds seem pretty bare or unkept and was thinking of leaving some advertising/knock and talking. Would this price scare off most people? Does this seem fair? The beds that are unkept would obviously have to be prep'd and will vary on the amnt of time to rdy for mulch spreading. (what would you charge for the time/amnt of work for the bed prep?). I came up with $60 per yard mulch installed by $30= mulch delivered $30 mulch labor per yard. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried to really hit home mulching or just stick to the same list of services with your company name?

Tq23
06-11-2012, 06:56 AM
If you have the time, then go for it. They may turn out to me yearly mulch customers.

Ijustwantausername
06-11-2012, 07:40 AM
If you have the time/energy and it will make you money, then go for it. I personally went up A LOT on mulch this year. Mainly because I really don't like doing it and my margins (even at the price I charge currently) aren't that much. I prefer sitting on a mower any day :)

bohiaa
06-11-2012, 08:36 AM
I wish you were NOT so far away....

I could keep you busy all year

RonWin
06-11-2012, 08:47 AM
So you guys think that the (should i say naive) customer isnt going to get scared away if i tell them that they need 5 yards and are looking at $300 worth of work/material? If so I will work til i cant move... everyday.

Lawn Pawn
06-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Locally in my smaller town here, the landscape companies that sell and install bulk mulch price is this.
Larger town a few mile away is more.

NOT colored $30 to $38 a yard.

Delivery $40 to $50 for a ton dump truck load.

Nothing else for the price, customer does the work. I do not know what install charges would be. Your price would be giving it away in this town.

Get Some...
06-11-2012, 08:49 AM
How much can you haul at one time?

orangemower
06-11-2012, 08:57 AM
At the price you mention, I think you need to change your name to "ronlose" instead of ronwin. I get at minimum $90 a yard installed. I've charged as much as $150 a yard including bed prep.

RonWin
06-11-2012, 09:06 AM
At the price you mention, I think you need to change your name to "ronlose" instead of ronwin. I get at minimum $90 a yard installed. I've charged as much as $150 a yard including bed prep.

The bed prep (weeding clearing leaves debris) and edging is not included. This is strictly spreading the material. I just did a 15 yard mulch job and had to edge a total of 554' which i charged $15 per 100' and then another $70 for the walk behind edger rental. I charge $900 for the material(15yard mulch) and labor. It took me 5 hours with my brother, my friend and I. so the total bill was $1052.50 (edging/material/labor).

RonWin
06-11-2012, 09:09 AM
How much can you haul at one time?

currently i have a guy who sells fine dark mulch for $30 a yard delivered. I have him deliver it (i lose out 5-10 dollars a yard not delivering it myself but i dont have the capability atm to self-deliver). I could upcharge the mulch another 5-10 dollars myself and charge $65-70 per yard (material deliverd + labor). His stuff is real good and i was extremely pleased (as was the customer) with the way the mulch sat.

RonWin
06-11-2012, 09:12 AM

Does this include you clearing out the beds and edging them? If so we are probably charging the same price in the end with bed prep/edging.

Get Some...
06-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Charge what YOU need to be happy......it does not matter what other folks say they charge.

RonWin
06-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Where i run into trouble as far as advertising that i am selling mulch and installing it for a set price per yard ($60) is how much to charge for the time and the work spent on clearing out the beds. Would it be wise to quote that seperately or try to come up with a system such as charging another $20 for bed prepping and relating it to the size 1 yard would take up with a 3" thickness?

Example i have 5 yards worth of mulch that i am delivering and installing for $60 a yard but the beds need to be cleared beforehand so instead of a total price of $300 (just spreading the material) i am charging an extra $20 PER YARD for the job rendering a payment of $400?

* With a 3" thickness a yard of mulch should be just about a 10x12 area per yard. That being said $20 for that space may be good if there is not a ton of weeds/crap to clear. Charging accordingly may work with this type of equation..

vaacutabove
06-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I ran a bunch of numbers last year and i made more money mulching than i did mowing per hr. All was spread by hand not blowing. This is considering over head as well ie mowers trimmers. I also live in an area that all the supply areas charge by the "scoop" not the yard. Most are bigger jobs i dont think you could do to well on single yard jobs. Just the other day my self and two other ppl did a 25 yard job and i cleared two days income of mowing. But then again im down to one day a week of grass best move i have made.
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCountyLawn
06-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Sell them a price with the prep and edging included. Make it so as if they are getting that for free and its sold.

orangemower
06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Does this include you clearing out the beds and edging them? If so we are probably charging the same price in the end with bed prep/edging.

The $90 a yard does not include bed prep or bed edging. I make as much as $180-200 a yard with everything included. It also depends on the conditions. If all I have to do is spread the mulch the customer bought, I'll get close to $60 a yard if everything else is good.

Kylec3
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
we are charging 65-70 per yard installed 90% of the time depending on difficulty and whether it needs to be mostly shoveled in or if we can mostly just go in with wheel barrows and dump in different spots..

we are at 75-80 for dyed

mulch costs us 20 for root and 29.50 for dyed (plus tax)

this does not include bed prepping

RonWin
06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
we are charging 65-70 per yard installed 90% of the time depending on difficulty and whether it needs to be mostly shoveled in or if we can mostly just go in with wheel barrows and dump in different spots..

we are at 75-80 for dyed

mulch costs us 20 for root and 29.50 for dyed (plus tax)

this does not include bed prepping

is edging another additional cost for you guys ?

Kylec3
06-13-2012, 08:51 PM
just lump weeding, edging, etc into one additional charge....we only edge if needed

shovelracer
06-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Mulch business like everything else are in the toilet. There was a time when we were putting down over 1000 yards a season residential. Now we are closer to 100-200 yards. People are just not spending the money. However when they are they are paying full rate. Of course we have guys installing for 15-30 per yard here too, but most of these guys are loading at the brush recycling center. My customers are almost exclusively Canadian cedar and would not tolerate landfill junk. One of my suppliers has a blower. There was a time you needed to book 6 months in advance to get in. Now the machine sits idle many days a week. Wait time is less than 1 week. Mulch is easy work, but still you can only do so much in a day. I would not get in the habit of selling it cheap.

knox gsl
06-14-2012, 10:31 PM
You get to enjoy higher taxes and cost of living there than I do and I would never advertise mulch that cheap. I'm at $75/yard for cheap brown recycled mulch up to $100/yard for premium black hardwood bark, plus bed prep.

BradLewisLawnCare
06-14-2012, 10:37 PM
I love the smell of fresh mulch

Get Some...
06-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Smells like $.

lawnboyskc
07-05-2012, 10:18 PM
are you crazy $60 a yard installed!!!!

no wonder im losing to the kid down the street

$100 a yard 3 yard min unless they are good customer

90 a yard for big amounts

Mahoney3223
07-06-2012, 09:11 PM
you guys that are charging (or claim to be) $100 per yard what are you paying for your mulch?

lawnboyskc
07-06-2012, 11:52 PM
wholesale price is just under 30 with tax
customer would pay around 40 with tax if they bought it

socustomer thinks it is 60 installed and delivered per yard