PDA

View Full Version : CIC books

lyonsprinklers
06-12-2012, 08:09 PM
I want to take the Certified Irrigation Contractor exam, but I would rather pick up used copies of the study material than pay full price for the books from the IA. Anyone have a good idea? (there is nothing on Amazon or eBay, I have been looking for months).

Also, is it worth it? I almost never get asked for credentials, and I am wondering if it is worth the investment.

My background:
-3 years as an Apprentice Journeyman Plumber (throughout high school).
-1 summer as a Sprinkler Repair Foreman for a full service landscaper.
-1 summer as an under-the-table sub-contractor for doing repair and upgrades for four lawn mowing companies.
-1 summer at Red Butte Botanical Garden doing irrigation and horticulture.
-1 year at an irrigation supply warehouse managing their retail sales and designing new systems for small/ medium homes.
-7 years doing repair as a part time job (about 10-20 hours a week during the summer) for supplemental income.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I may get my head bit off but I don't think anything from the IA does much good business wise. Do it for self fulfillment reasons but it won't mean hooey to most customers.

Sprinkus
06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
That's CIC dude. :laugh:

lyonsprinklers
06-13-2012, 01:33 AM
I was thinking that might be the case. But I am gunning for a full time job in the industry, and even though I am able to do everything they want, they are asking that the candidates have a CIC. So that gets me back to needing the books, but not wanting to pay full price.

Sprinkus
06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Amazon CIC workbook. (http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Irrigation-Contractor-Workbook-Association/dp/B000HC6YY2)

Amazon Turf Irrigation Manual. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_15/178-1907929-2347754?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=turf+irrigation+manual&sprefix=turf+irrigation%2Cstripbooks%2C257)

lyonsprinklers
06-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Cool, thanks for the links.