PDA

View Full Version : New Stihl Autocut C 25-2

finneylawns
06-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I was at my local Stihl dealer the other day buying more trimmer spools, because they wear out so quickly. They advise me that Stihl now offers a commercial head/spool for my "commercial" Stihl string trimmer. (FS90R) The current head/spool that I have is now considered "residential". I say well order me the "new commercial head/spool". When went to pick them up yesterday and was blown away by what I received. I think that this is going to last alot longer than the old "residential" one.

1. Has anyone else seen these, and are they new or just new to my dealer?

2. If you are using them what do you think?

**The old spool in the picture is well used and about wore out, but it was the best one that I had left. Like I mentioned I was in need of new spools anyway. I used it for a size comparison to the new spool**

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-13-2012, 01:20 PM
holly crapola, that thing is massive.... I guess I am still using the "residencial" ones. What does that set you back. I assume you need a whole new head not just the inner spool?

finneylawns
06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
"Residential" Stuff

Head - ~$25

Replacement Spool - $8.46

"Commercial" Stuff

Head - $38

Replacement Spool - $8.64

Not enough of a difference in cost, especially if they hold up longer.

rlitman
06-13-2012, 03:18 PM
holly crapola. . .

I'll second that! I'd love to see how the different design deals with tangling and welding lines and the likes.

Edit:
It looks like the Autocut "C" models are not the new "commercial" models, but rather they're the new easy to wind models. It looks like all that weirdness is so you don't have to disassemble it to wind the line. You poke the line in the ends, and turn the cap (which is why it has that grabby shape).
Sounds like finally Stihl jumped on this bandwagon.

Oh, but if you had an Autocut 25-2, it could handle .095 and .105 line. The Autocut C25-2 is ONLY .095 (which is all I use anyway):
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/2011FLcuttingtoolchart.pdf

rlitman
06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Oh, here's the manual:
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/pdfs/trimmerhead/STIHL_AUTOCUT_C_25-2_071107.pdf

finneylawns
06-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Yesterday was the first day that I was able to use the new "commercial head", well made it to the 3rd yard and went back to the "residential" head.

Well the head is not conducive to pre-spooling line. As mentioned it is not a "commercial" head, but a head for "easyspooling".

So my recommendation keep using your "residential" head/spool. It just works better, and is the easiest to use.

JasonH
09-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I run a Shindaiwa with a Speedfeed 450 and it's top of the line. Stihl is good for chainsaws that all. Trimmers are trash had a FS85R with a autocut 25-2 and never again

PLS-Tx
09-12-2012, 01:57 PM
I run a Shindaiwa with a Speedfeed 450 and it's top of the line. Stihl is good for chainsaws that all. Trimmers are trash had a FS85R with a autocut 25-2 and never again

We run Stihl trimmers and the Speed Feed heads, works great for us.

Been using the SF's for several years with no problems.