PDA

View Full Version : Need a good name for biz.

b.j.haynes
12-30-2002, 11:32 PM
Hello, I'm starting a lawn care bueiness this spring, and I need some good opinions on a name. Here is what I thought of so far, Turf Pride, Cutting Edge, Turf Pro, or something. I will be a very small company. I only have push mowers, but I'm willing to do what it takes to operate a succesfull business. You see I'm a school janitor, and I want to operate a lawn care business part time. Thank you all. :angel:

PR0 TURF
12-30-2002, 11:53 PM
You have 3 perfectly good ones there. Just make sure no one in your area is using the name, or one close to it. For example, we are Pro-Turf...so if a Turf Pro popped up in our town this spring I don't think we'd really be too happy. Once you decide on your name go down & register the name with the state or city.

b.j.haynes
12-31-2002, 12:04 AM
Yes, I know about the name registration. Here in Ohio I think the secretary of state will tell me if I can't use a name. Thanks for the input.:angel:

lrose2
12-31-2002, 12:21 AM
Hey, BJ! How 'bout Ground F/X? Ground effects. Get it? Go Bucks!!!!!!!!

fblandscape
12-31-2002, 12:27 AM
Why not use all of them? When I went to open up my business, I had to give a list of 3 or 4 names.. prioritized of course and the one highest up on the list that was not taken was mine. Not sure how it works out there though.

GrassMaster84
12-31-2002, 12:33 AM
I've heard lots of business names, and the one you gave "Turf Pride" is perfect. It is short and to the point. This is a name that people will notice and pay attention to.

Go with Turf Pride!!

Runner
12-31-2002, 01:36 AM
That's funny that Larry said that because that is the name that I always recommend to people if there isn't one in their area. Ground Effects. That's the way to go.;)

Clay
12-31-2002, 01:47 AM
b.j.

I've always been partial to my friend's business name...

"Better Lawns & Garden"

I used "Grass Masters" because of this really cool logo I made up and then only used the logo on my first set of 500 business cards and have never used it or business cards since... go figure :-)

Good Luck, Clay

FrankenScagMachines
12-31-2002, 10:22 AM
I chose Cutting Edge Lawn Care for mine. I would like to try to make a logo that has like the end of a mower blade slicing into grass clippings or something to that effect, something to convey the sharpness of the blade too and just to visualize "cutting edge". Also my slogan is 'Putting the "care" in lawn care!'
Turf Pride is great IMO
good luck,
Eric

Rhett
12-31-2002, 11:58 AM
Any of the before mentioned names would be fine. I can tell you some of the names I have seen locally in the last month that I would not choose. We have the ever popular Blow and Go. Another called Mow Blow and Go. How about Bubba's Dirty Yards Done Dirt Cheap. Even saw one That stole my idea as a joke called Two Fat Guys Mowing. Actually the last should be two really great big fat guys drinking beer in a astro van.:D

Good Luck
Rhett

b.j.haynes
12-31-2002, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the help. I do like ground f/x, but Turf Prid is the name that best discribes me, because I take pride in anything I do. I do have some experience in the green industry. I worked for chemlawn in 2001, I did't make no money though, because I would treat the hole lawn, but I must say, if it wasn't for Trugreen I wouldn't be starting my own business. Thanks :angel:

BOG Lawncare
12-31-2002, 04:59 PM
those are all great, but very common. Try to get unique with the name.

Turf Technologies
12-31-2002, 06:57 PM
We are going with Turf Technologies. But I like what you have come up with.

Anyone use a certain software for a design or hire that out to a sign shop?

lawncare3
01-01-2003, 04:52 AM
Can someone PLEASE tell me what IMO means?

Brieldo
01-01-2003, 05:14 AM
Turf Technologies has been my idea from day one:angel:

LAWNGODFATHER
01-01-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by lawncare3
Can someone PLEASE tell me what IMO means?

In My Opinion.

BTW= By The Way

IMHO= In My Honest Opinion.

FYI= For Your Info.

Now, why do you and BHB have them large equipment lists under you names?

BTW you spelled snapper wrong.

Mowov Erthis
01-01-2003, 06:47 AM
LawnEnforcement Co. Greenpeace!

or

The Lawndromat. Neet Clean and Green!

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
01-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Maybe Just Make it plain and simple BJ'S Lawn Service,Tha fancy name don't meen squawt,its the quality and reputation that sells your biz

FrankenScagMachines
01-01-2003, 07:40 PM
LGF, I always like to see what all equipment others have, I just figured they like to read it too or they wouldn't put theirs there. But I hear tell that there is an option where you can not show signatures in threads ;) ;)

MikeLT1Z28
01-01-2003, 08:48 PM
BHB= BushHogBoy

LGF= LawnGodFather

;)

lawncare3
01-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Now, why do you and BHB have them large equipment lists under you names?
Whay don't u?

brucec32
01-01-2003, 11:55 PM
I think that if you want to appeal to customers who like the fact that they're dealing with the owner/operator, not a big company with anonomous guys doing the mowing, you should incorporate your own name into the business name. BJ's is an good name to have for that. If you're showing up with push mowers, a fancy name isn't going to impress anyone anyway.

I would encourage you to invest in a more efficient walk behind or ztr mower as soon as your business size and budget allow. They will more than pay for themselves very fast. Even a low-cost 36" gear drive walk behind with a velke (maybe $2500) will double or triple your production and give you a more professional image. I commend you on your initiative in starting a business. Work hard, do a good job consistently, show up on time, every time, and you will have plenty of business. Push mowing anything but really small lawns is tough when you do several a day.

Acorn
01-02-2003, 12:20 AM
There is a company around here called "Lawn Rangers" Their slogan is "We're the first in lawn and order"

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
01-02-2003, 10:15 AM
There is a company around here called LAWNORDER

Ed Ryder
01-03-2003, 03:03 AM
I don't think you need a fancy name at all. I'm a one man operation. I use no signage, have no business cards and don't need them. Simple flyers near the mailbox got me back into the business after having left it. I started over completely. I spent barely anything on advertising and went from $0 to $1200 a week in business within the first 3 weeks using a 48 inch walkbehind. And then new customers just came to me from my high quality of work (and great personality). My best workday in that re-start-up year was $461 using just the 48 and a velke. This past year my best week was $1849 with the 48. I actually think my pricing is too cheap. I'll do better this year.

Anyway, it doesn't take a fancy name to get started. Perhaps you shouldn't try to give a big company image. Hmm...

JimLewis
01-03-2003, 04:52 AM
Well, I'll chime in...

I was told a long time ago that any good business name tells the consumer exactly what it is the company does right when they read it. With that in mind, a name like "Lewis and Associates" or "Lewis, Ltd." tells a consumer absolutely nothing. I can't tell you how many contractors I see running around town with names on the side of their truck like these. Stupid! Like people are supposed to guess what they do and just call....

So I've always been partial to names that actually tell you exactly what the company does. Names like, "Nelson Landscape Services", "Northwest Landscape Industries", West Side Property Maintenance", "Wilson Landscaping", or "Best Choice Landscaping".

Names like "Nelson Lawn Care" or "AAA Mowing" are fine too except they are limiting. If you ever decide to do more than just mowing, then you'll have to change your name. At first, I never thought I'd want to do more than just maintenance and mowing. But as we grew bigger and I started to learn how to do other kinds of landscaping we slowly began to add services. Nowadays we just about do it all. And I think back and am very glad I didn't chose a name like "Lewis Lawn Care", which was a close 2nd back then.

Also, feel free to be creative. Some people like names like "Organicare" or "Prograss". That's fine. I don't think it matters one way or another if you are creative in your name or not. But if you add "Landscaping" or something to that effect after the name, it is much better IMO.

HOMER
01-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Progressive Lawn Maintenance

We take pride in every blade.

MacLawnCo
01-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by sackedbysapp
Anyone use a certain software for a design or hire that out to a sign shop?

I would not bother with learning a software program unless you have some money for the manual and alot of time. With that being said, i am playing with two programs. I had a sign shop do a logo for me, and i greatly regret it. I am doing it over, with a graphic designer. Dont waste your money with a sign shop, thats all they are.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by lawncare3
Whay don't u?

LGF, I always like to see what all equipment others have, I just figured they like to read it too or they wouldn't put theirs there. But I hear tell that there is an option where you can not show signatures in threads

I did, it was useless