PDA

View Full Version : trees

greydog4u2
06-13-2012, 09:12 PM
I have a lawn mowing customer with kwanzi cherry trees in front of their property. the leaves are turning brown especially on the lower branches. These trees are 15-20yrs. old and kept well maintained would be a shame to lose them! Would appreciate any input.also I am planning on calling the ag agent in my area tomorrow.

Dr.NewEarth
06-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Most likely it's a cherry blight. (prunus blight) There isn't much you can do about that.

Just keep the tree happy and watered in the summer.

greydog4u2
06-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Most likely it's a cherry blight. (prunus blight) There isn't much you can do about that.

Just keep the tree happy and watered in the summer.

Would this be terminal? Any way thanks.

Dr.NewEarth
06-13-2012, 09:53 PM
No, it's not going to kill the tree. If it's a bad infection it could stress the tree.

You can cut off the brown bits and burn them or throw them away. Don't compost it, and sanitize your sequeters (pruning tools)

If it's what I believe you have there, there's not much you can do as the blight floats around in the air.

landscapetastic
06-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I am new to the business, do you find that a lot of customers pay between, $70-$90 a yard for colored mulch installed. This is the going rate in my area, but I am not sure if a lot of people go for it.

Dr.NewEarth
06-13-2012, 10:05 PM
I am new to the business, do you find that a lot of customers pay between, $70-$90 a yard for colored mulch installed. This is the going rate in my area, but I am not sure if a lot of people go for it.

I can get a company to blow it in for 45 a yard here. I would search on this site, there was a thread the other day on pricing. ;)

phasthound
06-14-2012, 09:41 AM
I have a lawn mowing customer with kwanzi cherry trees in front of their property. the leaves are turning brown especially on the lower branches. These trees are 15-20yrs. old and kept well maintained would be a shame to lose them! Would appreciate any input.also I am planning on calling the ag agent in my area tomorrow.

The Penn State Plant Disease Clinic is a service and education function of the Department of Plant Pathology, and provides clinical diagnoses of plant diseases for approximately 2,000 samples submitted annually by Pennsylvania agricultural producers, urban gardeners, and homeowners.

There is no charge for this service for samples that have been collected from gardens or landscapes within the state of Pennsylvania.
http://plantpath.psu.edu/facilities/plant-disease-clinic

greydog4u2
06-14-2012, 11:50 PM
The Penn State Plant Disease Clinic is a service and education function of the Department of Plant Pathology, and provides clinical diagnoses of plant diseases for approximately 2,000 samples submitted annually by Pennsylvania agricultural producers, urban gardeners, and homeowners.

There is no charge for this service for samples that have been collected from gardens or landscapes within the state of Pennsylvania.
http://plantpath.psu.edu/facilities/plant-disease-clinic

Thanks I did contact the Penn State agent for my area today from the description I gave him over the phone he said it was most likely leaf spot desiease.Also had the customer contact the agent.