PDA

View Full Version : Demo lighting idea

muddywater
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
I am trying to think of a better way to demo lights. I don,t want to buy a demo kit. The vista ones break alot, or are either out on loan. Has anyone tried to rig up a 9 volt battery to a light? It would be portable, faster, and easier. I tried it the other day and it would work with led but not with halogen. Then with led, the 9 volt was dim, but 18v was very bright. Any ideas out there?

LLC RI
06-13-2012, 09:55 PM
you could go to an alarm supply house and buy yourself one or two 12 volt emergency light / alarm back up batteries. These are usually 7 amp hour which will be plenty to supply a bunch of LED's for short periods. You will need to find a 12 volt charger for them... Years ago.. Nightscaping used to have a demo kit that came in a hard attache' case and it came with a 12 volt battery and they installed a fuse and some female banana plug jacks... made it easy to connect and disconnect.. your demo lights.

As for what fixtures to use... just use the ones you use for your jobs... a bullet.. a wash.. a mini wash,, small accent.. path light... maybe a deck light.. whatever you want

Zohan
06-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I have used kichler led fixtures with 9volt batteries

irrig8r
06-15-2012, 12:32 PM
The Kichler LED spots light up nicely with a 9V. The Vista spots do not! Learned that while doing a quick demo.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
06-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Do any of you guys rig up an on off switch and secure it to the lights? I was thinking this would be cheaper and easier than a demo kit.

Also why does it not work with halogen lights?

S&MLL
06-15-2012, 10:02 PM
In theory it does but 9volts is going to be a very dim mr16. Plus it wouldnt last very long
Posted via Mobile Device

Classic Lighting
06-15-2012, 10:38 PM
I install mostly Cast products. Their fixtures have integrated LED modules and 9v will power them for a day. However, 9v will not work with drop-in LED. If I remember right, the LED module converts AC to DC in order to power the LED.

I'd recommend purchasing fixtures that can run temporarily on 9v. The prospective client can see how the fixture performs and that is a great selling advantage.

Classic Lighting
06-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Also why does it not work with halogen lights?

Because halogen does not operate on DC power.

S&MLL
06-15-2012, 10:58 PM

Maybe im loosing my mind but im pretty sure i have ran 2 35watt mr16fixtures over night off a 12volt truck battery
Posted via Mobile Device

S&MLL
06-15-2012, 11:05 PM
9volt dc power will power some drop in leds.... i powered 20 pathlights with illumicare led scb lamps off a car battery as well this year. It was for a wedding they wanted a walkway lit in the woods car battery was easier then running a trans
Posted via Mobile Device

S&MLL
06-15-2012, 11:08 PM

Im not loosing my mind haha. What kind of bulb is in your cars headlight!!!!!"
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-15-2012, 03:24 PM
I have been doing demos for the past 2 nights and have one more tonight. I borrowed the vista lighting kit from jdl and it is a pain in the rear. I really don't have enough of those quick connect wires.

I have 6 led lights and I am going to try that tonight as well as a few from the jdl kit.

I think this 9v led may be the way to go with demo. More time to sell the customer and less time setting up and taking down. And possibly get home at 9 instead of 10.

Last night I was thinking about taking a picture of the house I was demo lighting and adding it to my portfolio even if they didn't do it! Good way to build a portfolio fast!

Zohan
08-15-2012, 03:56 PM
do yourself a favor, get some led lights and a few 9v batteries. I have a small demo kit (im not going to do a full lighting system as a demo) consisting of 5 or 6 kichler LED accent lights. Go to radio shack and get some 9v battery connectors/leads. Use heat shrink butt connectors and connect them to the fixture wire. I leave them with one side of the battery connected in a small case like this http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=paded+case
break it out and you are set up in 2 minutes

muddywater
08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
I bought 9 v batt pigtails at radio shack, and zip tied the battery to the stake and wire nutted leads to pigtail. Just unplug the pigtail when your done. I wish there was a compact 12 v battery, that would be perfect!
Posted via Mobile Device

Zohan
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
What do you mean a compact 9v battery?? They are approx. 1"x1", thats not compact enough?

LLC RI
08-15-2012, 05:18 PM
What do you mean a compact 9v battery?? They are approx. 1"x1", thats not compact enough?

He said smaller 12 volt battery... not 9 volt. The 9 volt works, but 12 would be better.

As an option, you could get the alarm batteries which are 12 volt.. and rechargable and although not as small as a 9 volt, one battery could power up more than a few LED's.

Another option would be to get an AA battery holder and put 8 x AA batteries in it to make your own 12 volt packs.

Zohan
08-15-2012, 05:24 PM
lol.....my bad...
but, i dont see why you would need any more than the 9volt...its very small, unless the 12 volt will give a much longer run time?
I wouldnt leave then in overnight anyway, just give the client a little taste....

slowleak1
08-15-2012, 05:26 PM
I bought 9 v batt pigtails at radio shack, and zip tied the battery to the stake and wire nutted leads to pigtail. Just unplug the pigtail when your done. I wish there was a compact 12 v battery, that would be perfect!
Posted via Mobile Device

12 volt drill batteries, 12 volt ATV batteries, AA and button sized batteries.

The watch batteries could be stacked on top each other and wrapped nicely with electrical tape. AA's can be put in cases as said above. Drill batteries are a nice size but kind of odd shop. ATV batteries are bigger, but will last alot longer. Just got to be creative.

muddywater
08-15-2012, 05:34 PM
lol.....my bad...
but, i dont see why you would need any more than the 9volt...its very small, unless the 12 volt will give a much longer run time?
I wouldnt leave then in overnight anyway, just give the client a little taste....

I "think" the leds are a little dim w 9 volts. I could be hallucinating though. I was comparing a volt led to a vista 20w bullet, but could have just been a difference in the manufacturers and halogen and led.

Not concerned w run time. Prob only have them on for an hour
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
12 volt drill batteries, 12 volt ATV batteries, AA and button sized batteries.

The watch batteries could be stacked on top each other and wrapped nicely with electrical tape. AA's can be put in cases as said above. Drill batteries are a nice size but kind of odd shop. ATV batteries are bigger, but will last alot longer. Just got to be creative.

Ok i gotcha. I think aa are only a few volts so it would take a few casings. 9 volt is prob best i can do for mobility
Posted via Mobile Device

Zohan
08-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I "think" the leds are a little dim w 9 volts. I could be hallucinating though. I was comparing a volt led to a vista 20w bullet, but could have just been a difference in the manufacturers and halogen and led.

Not concerned w run time. Prob only have them on for an hour
Posted via Mobile Device

When I connect Kichler LED accent lights to a 9v battery they are the same brightness as a 12v source

muddywater
08-15-2012, 09:19 PM
When I connect Kichler LED accent lights to a 9v battery they are the same brightness as a 12v source

I did the demo tonight with the Volt LEDs and the vista halogen demo kit. There was a huge difference between the Volt and Vista. Maybe the Volt LEDs just don't put out the same amount of light?

But anyway, sold the job... 16 fixture job. That is the 4th one I have sold this week. And I still have one bid out. But I have been humping it to get it. Tonight was my third demo this week.