PDA

View Full Version : Toro 300 Series

jimmyburg
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
I have ran across a few of these in the last couple of weeks. They were installed at least 15 years ago and still working.

My question is - Can you compare these rotors to Rain Bird or Hunter as far an better product for water conservation?

Wet_Boots
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
They are probably the most reliable rotor head still in production. Nothing is better for retracting when the watering is done. The fact that the entire mechanism is encased in a basket filter gives it extra protection from any stray grit in the water. (not for sandy water, though, or you are endlessly cleaning screens)

Mike Leary
06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
The 300 "Stream-Rotor" was invented by Ed Hunter, unfortunately, he was a design engineer at Toro then, and they had the rights. It still stands as the finest rotor ever made,especially if it's used in a turf application with foliage and trees. The reason most contractors don't use them is they are very picky about head-to-head and pressure. Plus, done right, it's SO pretty to watch work!

koster_irrigation
06-15-2012, 08:26 PM
neat to watch is right....

ive always liked them.

the smaller nozzle 01's always stopped
turning before a 03 nozzle.....

irrig8r
06-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Their biggest weakness was spacing issues. There were the -01, -02 and -03 nozzles... I think they were at something like 15 to 18, 21 to 24 and 28-32 feet?

A landscape architects spec'd them for a couple of maintenance jobs I had in the early 80's with no regard to spacing in turf, which soured me on them. We kept changing nozzles and the dry spots just moved around a little.

Then later they came out with an adjustable radius OMNI nozzle, but the cap would blow off if you as much as breathed on it.

The shrub version made a lot of sense on hillsides of ground cover though... when spaced and timed right.

Those oil bath gear drives used to quit regularly too.

irrig8r
06-15-2012, 09:29 PM
The 300 "Stream-Rotor" was invented by Ed Hunter, unfortunately, he was a design engineer at Toro then, and they had the rights. It still stands as the finest rotor ever made,especially if it's used in a turf application with foliage and trees. The reason most contractors don't use them is they are very picky about head-to-head and pressure. Plus, done right, it's SO pretty to watch work!

What was the name of the one that Ed started Hunter with.

Instead of metal discs it had the plastic "cone" nozzle much like the MP Rotator now does (as I recall.) Did Walla-Walla have to license that from him?

irrig8r
06-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Ran across an interesting old article about Ed Hunter:

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-01-08/news/vw-750_1_ed-hunter

http://www.irrigationmuseum.org/photos/History_Pictures_006.jpg

irrig8r
06-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Instead of metal discs it had the plastic "cone" nozzle much like the MP Rotator now does (as I recall.) Did Walla-Walla have to license that from him?

When I said "started with" I mean the rotor with streams similar to the 300 after he left Toro... I had never heard about Moist O' Matic until today.

grassman177
06-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I do like stream rotors, never thought about it but they do last a long time.other than that I can't stand toro irrigation products.
Posted via Mobile Device

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Moist o matic was the riverside based company toro bought. The stream rotor was an awesome head back in the late 70s. Space them every 18' and watch them run was as cool as it gets. They had a bigger version of the stream rotor whose name escapes me.

mrsteve
06-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Moist o matic was the riverside based company toro bought. The stream rotor was an awesome head back in the late 70s. Space them every 18' and watch them run was as cool as it gets. They had a bigger version of the stream rotor whose name escapes me.
I think your talking about the Toro XP rotor. Had two opposing streams, a short and a long throw. Not too bad a head for it's time.

Wet_Boots
06-16-2012, 08:58 AM
not the XP-300 ~ it's an older head, that was designated "320"

Mike Leary
06-16-2012, 12:37 PM

"Ed's folly" was called the "Type S" and was a miserable attempt of Ed's to relive his glory days with the #300. Toro tried plastic arc disks in a #300 clone, called the 345, I believe, it too failed. The variable arc nozzle was stupid, as well. Properly designed Stream Rotors with the 02 or 03 nozzle are still my favorite of all time. The SR is a water-eater, no doubt, so they made a 63 and 93 nozzle with fewer streams that lowered the gpm demand.

Wet_Boots
06-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Strictly on precip rate, an 02 nozzle matches with a 93 better than the 03

Mike Leary
06-16-2012, 01:37 PM
I did a system with all Stream Rotors, during the walk-through, the client said, "It's like sitting around a campfire." After a few minutes, he also said, "I don't think you ought to look at these too long."

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-16-2012, 01:39 PM
not the XP-300 ~ it's an older head, that was designated "320"

Wasnt there a head called the Rain Pro by Toro?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
06-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Wasnt there a head called the Rain Pro by Toro?
Posted via Mobile DeviceThat's the 320 - I probably have some stored away - it was the gear-drive heavyweight champ of riser-mounted performance

Mike Leary
06-16-2012, 03:35 PM
The huge lag with the Stream Rotors was the lack of factory low-drain check valves. In order to provide for LDC, we had to use the Hunter version, which was pricey, needed a deeper hole and the friction loss ate you for lunch! Toro never got it, tho I bitched and moaned to the REPS for years. :hammerhead:

Wet_Boots
06-16-2012, 04:06 PM
The huge lag with the Stream Rotors was the lack of factory low-drain check valves. In order to provide for LDC, we had to use the Hunter version, which was pricey, needed a deeper hole and the friction loss ate you for lunch! Toro never got it, tho I bitched and moaned to the REPS for years. :hammerhead:You can't have both a check valve and a basket strainer - I think they did put a check-valve washer on the moveable basket that the 340 version used.

Mike Leary
06-16-2012, 04:34 PM
You can't have both a check valve and a basket strainer - I think they did put a check-valve washer on the moveable basket that the 340 version used.

The shrub head has some sort of check valve, I'm told. I'd take that great basket strainer design anyday, tho the cost of a 12" SR w/Hunter LDC was pricey, even for me! Prolly the most expensive combination I ever installed.

Wet_Boots
06-16-2012, 04:44 PM
I stopped using the shrub heads, because the nozzle assembly was vulnerable to being removed by curious hands of children.

Mike Leary
06-16-2012, 05:17 PM
I stopped using the shrub heads, because the nozzle assembly was vulnerable to being removed by curious hands of children.

Unless run up a fence line in copper, they also looked like hell.

Wet_Boots
06-16-2012, 05:20 PM
popups on a riser don't look much better

S.O.Contracting
06-16-2012, 06:57 PM
That's the 320 - I probably have some stored away - it was the gear-drive heavyweight champ of riser-mounted performance

Have a customer who still has some of these in the yard just going to town. Both full circle heads. They look cool but definitely not 300 cool.

Mike Leary
06-16-2012, 07:13 PM
popups on a riser don't look much better

Nope, if you're doing risers (which I like), use copper and either MPs or brass. This is saying they are in the center or rearwards. Front-load risers are a sign of pikerdumb. :hammerhead:

Wet_Boots
06-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Stream rotors work okay with 3/4-inch sch 80 risers, since the forces are spread out.

irrig8r
06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
"Ed's folly" was called the "Type S" and was a miserable attempt of Ed's to relive his glory days with the #300....

Maybe a Type R?

http://www.hunterindustries.com/sites/default/files/ts_rtype_beauty_shot.jpg

http://www.hunterindustries.com/sites/default/files/ts_rtype_working.jpg

http://www.hunterindustries.com/support/what-comparable-replacement-my-hunter-r-type-streaming-rotor

Mike Leary
06-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Maybe a Type R?

Prolly so. :cry:

Wet_Boots
06-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Nelson had a stream-rotor knockoff with a feature that allowed you to choose one of several fixed distances based on how the serrated cover piece was aligned against the next piece down.

Mike Leary
06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
The client had planned for more dwarf trees, so I spec'd SRs and subbed it out. (anyone notice anything strange?)

Wet_Boots
06-22-2012, 06:35 PM
the idiot near the green shed?

Mike Leary
06-22-2012, 06:48 PM
the idiot near the green shed?

Good call, he was the installer and this was my walk-thru. I'd spec'd two f.c. heads and only one went in. He looked at me and said, "what's the big deal, the sprays touch each other at the end of the throw, so I thought I'd save you guys some money.":dizzy:

1idejim
06-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Good call, he was the installer and this was my walk-thru. I'd spec'd two f.c. heads and only one went in. He looked at me and said, "what's the big deal, the sprays touch each other at the end of the throw, so I thought I'd save you guys some money.":dizzy:

so, how's this sub workin' for you :confused:

Mike Leary
06-22-2012, 08:36 PM
so, how's this sub workin' for you :confused:

Only you know who they are. :cry:

sprinklerchris
06-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Nelson had a stream-rotor knockoff with a feature that allowed you to choose one of several fixed distances based on how the serrated cover piece was aligned against the next piece down.

Almost forgot about that one... the Gearstream... had a combo 1/2" and 3/4" inlet.

Wet_Boots
06-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Almost forgot about that one... the Gearstream... had a combo 1/2" and 3/4" inlet.I don't think I ever saw one in operation