PDA

View Full Version : Am l out of line ?

duckworth
06-15-2012, 01:09 AM
2 pulls ,100',50' very rocky ground had stop to remove rocks a couple times.l run a dw 100 sx.pulling 3/4 PVC .l charged $ 280 for 2 men and machine, pipe included schedule 40.my customer thinks l'm out to lunch.am l high ?

southgalawns
06-15-2012, 01:11 AM
I wouldn't think so, tell him to go rent the equipment and try it himself and then say its too high.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
06-15-2012, 02:55 AM
2 pulls ,100',50' very rocky ground had stop to remove rocks a couple times.l run a dw 100 sx.pulling 3/4 PVC .l charged $ 280 for 2 men and machine, pipe included schedule 40.my customer thinks l'm out to lunch.am l high ?

and his qualifications are?
time was including travel?
total expenditures including beer?
all of us, including me have spilled more at dinner than that. i would have been happy with that price.

DanaMac
06-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Sounds extremely reasonable. I would have charge more.

Duekster
06-15-2012, 08:08 AM
I do not think you need to come here to justify that price. More than fair.

What kind of cheap customer is this?

greenmonster304
06-15-2012, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't think so, tell him to go rent the equipment and try it himself and then say its too high.
Posted via Mobile Device

Better yet tell him to dig it by hand then ask if $280 is out of line.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
06-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Some people do not understand the concept of money, and running a business with equipment and business expenses. My mom is one of them. She thinks everything should be one dollar (a little exaggeration, but you get the idea). She is SHOCKED at the price of anything - product or service. And she doesn't understand that what I charge, is not going in my pocket. She is also always broke, and unfortunately I have been supporting/enabling her for years. But it's mom, I gotta do it.

GreenLight
06-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Don't really pull anything here, it's all basically trench work. That said, I am with Dana, I think you are actually well below what should have been charged.

I inform most customers on short one or two hour jobs like this that the second a small mini ex or trencher is needed it will be $250 for that equipment use before anyone gets out of the truck and starts working. Then they pay separately for materials and labor. Im not in business to break even or lose money and with the cost of overhead these days if you take yourself, two guys and a machine out to a job it's costing your company a lot of money.

txirrigation
06-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Sounds low to me, but I also am in trenching country.

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-15-2012, 10:12 AM
I agree with most that that is more then fair. I assume 2 Man ours was the actual site time? So there is loading and unloading at the shop, travel, specialty equipment, the know how....

Don't drop a penny from that price!

1idejim
06-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Some people do not understand the concept of money, and running a business with equipment and business expenses. My mom is one of them. She thinks everything should be one dollar (a little exaggeration, but you get the idea). She is SHOCKED at the price of anything - product or service. And she doesn't understand that what I charge, is not going in my pocket. She is also always broke, and unfortunately I have been supporting/enabling her for years. But it's mom, I gotta do it.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
you're a good guy dana :)

duckworth
06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks for input the customer is a good guy just out of touch with pricing .whats the aprox. going rate for a dw 100sx plow min rate and hr rate for machine only

txirrigation
06-15-2012, 10:46 AM

I was talking to a customer the other day (he had already paid) and he was asking why all the bids were so high. I explained to him that no matter if I am running crews or not my business costs me over 1,600 a day not including labor and parts.

ArTurf
06-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Check the price of renting trencher in your area. Around here it would be about $150-200. Tell him if he checked the price of renting the trencher, pipe, glue & etc and then did the work himself (if he actually could) then he would probably feel good about the price and understand.

Kiril
06-15-2012, 03:41 PM
If you get out of line, you need to go to the back of the line .... no cutting.

Mike Leary
06-15-2012, 05:13 PM
If you get out of line, you need to go to the back of the line .... no cutting.

Unless you were lucky enough to have an excavator doing the trenching. :walking:

ARGOS
06-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Sounds extremely reasonable. I would have charge more.

funny. I was thinking I wouldn't pay you HALF that.

DanaMac
06-15-2012, 05:53 PM
funny. I was thinking I wouldn't pay you HALF that.

Cheap azz!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-15-2012, 06:04 PM
As a side note- there is some validity to checking out the rental rates for equipment you own. Those company's have a good idea of what it takes to recapture equipment expenses and make a profit.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-15-2012, 09:13 PM
How long did it take you?

What is your expected return per hour?

If we were doing work there already we charge 175$ if we are going there 2 men 1 hour we need 200$, 1.5 hours a guy would of been 300$ no doubt.

nighthawk117
06-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Do the math, today we re- connected a system due to a garage addition. Truck, enclosed trailer, Burkeen B-30b, 160' PVC sch 40 1", 160' of 18-7 wire, silicone filled wire nuts, two people with 3 hrs of labor, glue,primer. Then test the system, fine tune, set the clock. So what do you think this bill will be ?? :laugh: :drinkup: Your price is well within, some clients have no clue