PDA

View Full Version : Leaf box vent

cos
12-31-2002, 01:42 PM
Where would you say that it should be? Front, back, sides, middle?

I cut it out in the top back. I didn't want all the leaves sticking to it after being blown to the front of the truck.

mdb landscaping
12-31-2002, 02:43 PM
i put mine in the roof of my box. works really good.

ksland
12-31-2002, 04:42 PM
Cover the whole top with a mesh tarp. My 16hp loader almost never clogs, and it packs it full nicely right to the top. Best thing, it just unhooks. I will post a pic of mine in a bit

Tvov
12-31-2002, 04:43 PM
We have two 8"x16" rectangular vents on each side near the top. On our next leaf box we will probably have a roof vent above were the leaf vacuum blows into the box.

ksland
12-31-2002, 04:55 PM
Here is mine

mmacsek
12-31-2002, 08:01 PM
I like the idea of the tarp. My leaf box has the back half (top) with fine screen. I use a 16 h.p. Lesco loader on the back of my pickup truck. Where do you buy these mesh tarps? Matt

cos
12-31-2002, 08:05 PM
Very nice set ups! Is there any rhyme or reason as to the placement of the vent hole? When building mine, I thought of blow out and clogging of the vent. I put mine on the top of the solid plywood roof at the back of the truck. I heard those mesh tarps work very good!

mdb landscaping
12-31-2002, 08:12 PM
so far i havent had any problem as to the position of my vent. I have the right amount of vent to allow for air to blow out properly, and i dont get a out.lot of debris that blows. the tarps are a good solution, but i wanted a nice sturdy box that comes off in one piece and will last for years to come. Just my preference though. If you are going to make a collapsable box the mesh would be the way to go.

GroundKprs
12-31-2002, 09:09 PM
Haven't done but one leaf box, and just built mine this year on input from others who have used them for years. One frequently mentioned problem was blowout of dust through the vent, and therefore vent should be located away from engine.

Mine is the 16 hp Briggs, so it's pushing 3200 CFM. Let's assume that is the unit we will use to compare venting. Comparing the two rigs pictured above, the speed of the air going through mdb's 1/4 roof vent will be 4 times the speed of the air going through ksland's full top vent (with fabric). The faster flow in the smaller vent will cause more dust, and be more susceptable to plugging up. Of course these conditions will also vary with the type of material used in the vent. But, the larger the venting area, the lower the speed of the air rushing out of the vent.

Perhaps there may be some advantage in a smaller vent causing better compaction of debris? Mine is pictured below, and I accomplished at least a 6:1 compaction ratio for those jobs I measured.

I only made front and back solid, front to keep dust away from engine and back because vac really blasts the debris at back door. Have had wet leaf vacing cause a 4" deep buildup of debris on door, LOL. Both sides of leaf extension are fabric, as well as the full top. My trailer has almost twice the venting as ksland's full top vent, and I have full view of how the load is filling. Only get a little dust when it is almost packed full.

GroundKprs
12-31-2002, 09:10 PM
Duuhhhh, the pic:

ksland
12-31-2002, 09:35 PM
I posted this a short while back, but for the newbies.....

gene gls
12-31-2002, 10:23 PM
mmacsek

My mesh truck cover came from J. Lamco, Inc. 302-422-7531. They are 14' wide and sold by the running foot.

My box is like ksland, I load from the front and have arched cross members to hold up the tarp, about 2' higher than the sides. The whole top is mesh tarp. I fasten a peice of plywood 2'x8' under the top of the cross members for the leaves to hit against, also have a 2'x2' peice hanging down from the last cross member as a back stop.

Gene

GroundKprs
01-01-2003, 01:15 AM
For open weave fabric, hemmed and eyleted in different sized tarps, see at http://www.amleo.com/bin/subcat.cgi?GD . I used two of the Bulldog 10'x12'.

Also at A.M.Leonard, shade fabrics (larger rolls or sheets) are on this page: http://www.amleo.com/bin/subcat.cgi?GA .

Tarps are used by landscapers to protect plants from wind dessication during transport. Larger sheets are used as shade fabric in a greenhouse setting. The tarps are usually heavy duty, sheets can vary in weight depending on what % of shade you desire. I think the transportation tarps are equivalent to roughly a 65% to 75% shade rating.

mmacsek
01-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the information on the mesh tarps. I couldn't find one locally. I'll be modifying my leaf box this winter. The pictures said alot. Matt