PDA

View Full Version : ground cover

williams lcm
06-15-2012, 05:31 PM
How do you guys get the weeds out of low groundcover
? I tried pulling them up but the ground cover is so thick that the ground cover comes up with the weeds. Please help!!! Customer wants them out asap.Thanks

Duekster
06-15-2012, 05:49 PM
What type of weed? Type of Ground cover?

Smallaxe
06-15-2012, 07:23 PM
If you can't spray them safely with RU, then use a paint brush...

Landscape Poet
06-15-2012, 07:36 PM
How do you guys get the weeds out of low groundcover
? I tried pulling them up but the ground cover is so thick that the ground cover comes up with the weeds. Please help!!! Customer wants them out asap.Thanks

William - Depends on the weeds and the groundcover. You have several options to help you in the future with Pre-Emergents like Snapshot.

Is the ground cover asiatic jasmine by chance? If so let you client know that it will take awhile for them to fill in. I have went through that with many clients expecting it to fill in overnight and that simply does not happen, although it will fill in quicker with the right conditions, which does not include a mulch bed which many people do and wonder why there asiatic jasmine does not spread.

Duekster
06-15-2012, 07:59 PM
William - Depends on the weeds and the groundcover. You have several options to help you in the future with Pre-Emergents like Snapshot.

Is the ground cover asiatic jasmine by chance? If so let you client know that it will take awhile for them to fill in. I have went through that with many clients expecting it to fill in overnight and that simply does not happen, although it will fill in quicker with the right conditions, which does not include a mulch bed which many people do and wonder why there asiatic jasmine does not spread.

Poet,
I generally do not use Asiatic Jasmine but am now on a job where it is specified. It includes pecan shell mulch. Are you saying mulch slows down the fill in? Not that it matters much to me but just wanted the FYI.

williams lcm
06-15-2012, 08:13 PM
I think it is the Jasmin. They did put mulch down when they planted them. It is just weeds and zoyia grass coming up through the ground cover. The zoyia grass is so tough to pull out. I though preen would work but that might kill the jasmine and other plants. If I could only spray each weed without touching the rest of the plants. The flowerbeds are edged eack week and the zoyia seem to jump over the fine edge that I have established.

Landscape Poet
06-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Poet,
I generally do not use Asiatic Jasmine but am now on a job where it is specified. It includes pecan shell mulch. Are you saying mulch slows down the fill in? Not that it matters much to me but just wanted the FYI.

I am not sure of your kind of mulch but what I have experienced here is when mulch is applied it seems to take forever to fill in as compared to fill in areas lightly with compost or top soil lightly as needed. This does not prevent its stolons from taping down is my guess. Leaving it totally bare long term does not seem to work either, so my advise has been to topdress lightly with soil/compost as needed as it seems it fills in alot better like this.

It also seems to have responded much better with spread with a regular foliar feedings as opposed to granular whenever.

Landscape Poet
06-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I think it is the Jasmin. They did put mulch down when they planted them. It is just weeds and zoyia grass coming up through the ground cover. The zoyia grass is so tough to pull out. I though preen would work but that might kill the jasmine and other plants. If I could only spray each weed without touching the rest of the plants. The flowerbeds are edged eack week and the zoyia seem to jump over the fine edge that I have established.

Your Zoysia grow by both above ground stolons like SA but also have rhizome much like Bermuda, so although you edge the surface it can still be way below where you are edging and you not know it.

There are options such as fusilade for grassy weeds William, broadleaf you have options that are wider including really diluted RU which may stunt the growth of the jasmin in my experience but because it is so hardy it bounces back but there are many other options dependent on the weeds you are actually trying to control. As far as killing out the Zoysia that has made its way into the bed I am not sure, a turf PCO may be able to help you better with that route.

Duekster
06-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Never used Pecan shells as a mulch before either.