PDA

View Full Version : f350 dump or 3/4 ton

Kings of Green LLC
06-16-2012, 07:05 PM
I purchased an lco and a f350 dual 4x4 dump 7.3 diesel came in the package. I pull a 20ft trailer with a billy goat on it. Obviously its all set up for bagging which he bagged all 70 properties! I bag 0 unless the grass is real high.I'm thinking of selling the 350 and going with a f250 diesel. Am I crazy for down seizing?
Posted via Mobile Device

JDGlandscape
06-16-2012, 08:33 PM
I dont know about other jobs that you do, but i have a 350 pickup and a 350 dump, I use the dump full time spring and fall and about half the time in the summer.. The dump is more important to my business than my pickup is...

Do you do cleanups? Bark mulch? Side jobs? tree jobs? trimming jobs? ever need to bring loam to a job? all of these will require a dump or paying for delivery.

also, how upset are the customers since you stopped bagging all 70 that were previously bagged? I would most certainly lose 50% of my lawns if i told them i would no longer bag the lawns.

JDGlandscape
06-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I did just realize you said you will bag if it is really high. I know when i bag places in the spring, I cannot even make it a full day before my 8 ft f350 bed is full and mounded with grass, and this is at about 230pm, I have to go unload before I can mow more, so i take the dump instead.

Kings of Green LLC
06-17-2012, 12:03 AM
I dont know about other jobs that you do, but i have a 350 pickup and a 350 dump, I use the dump full time spring and fall and about half the time in the summer.. The dump is more important to my business than my pickup is...

Do you do cleanups? Bark mulch? Side jobs? tree jobs? trimming jobs? ever need to bring loam to a job? all of these will require a dump or paying for delivery.

also, how upset are the customers since you stopped bagging all 70 that were previously bagged? I would most certainly lose 50% of my lawns if i told them i would no longer bag the lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kings of Green LLC
06-17-2012, 12:43 AM
I didn't loose any believe it or not! I do some mulch and of course fall clean up. It just seems to be a lot of truck to drive around the rest of the year.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDGlandscape
06-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Yeah I hear ya there.. I wish I didnt need the extra costs of having the extra trucks but they come in handy when you have other unforeseen problems. The dump has been extremely helpful for my business, but if you can get by without it, then you could save yourself quite a bit of money.

But in all honesty, I have two fairly similar trucks in my signature, and the mpg difference is only like 1.5 mpgs between the dump and the pickup.. and 250s do not get ANY better mileage than the 350s.

Kings of Green LLC
06-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Did I mention it was a one ton! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

clydebusa
06-17-2012, 09:06 AM
If you only going to have 1 truck, keep the best. I would say once I have a dump truck it is hard to even think about going to a standard truck, mileage or not.

marksj
06-17-2012, 10:00 AM
If you don't need a "pulling vehicle",how about just a dump trailer.No motor less insurance license etc.Just a thought.It does seem like you need something else.As long as you don't haul much weight(grass clippings, some mulch) maybe that would work?

JDGlandscape
06-17-2012, 10:05 AM
If you don't need a "pulling vehicle",how about just a dump trailer.No motor less insurance license etc.Just a thought.It does seem like you need something else.As long as you don't haul much weight(grass clippings, some mulch) maybe that would work?

I seriously considered this when I was first starting up, but for cleanups i need the mowing trailer also and It seemed sily to have to bring two trucks to one jobsite when only one dump was needed..

But again, this is just for my business, just sharing my thoughts. Everyone elses business might be fine and everything i say might not apply to them

marksj
06-17-2012, 10:16 AM
I look around at my equipment and try and "weed" out what might not be used as much as I would like too.Keeping the equipment down helps the bottom line.Sometimes it is hard to figure out what that "piece' may be.

Kings of Green LLC
06-17-2012, 11:31 AM
I seriously considered this when I was first starting up, but for cleanups i need the mowing trailer also and It seemed sily to have to bring two trucks to one jobsite when only one dump was needed..

But again, this is just for my business, just sharing my thoughts. Everyone elses business might be fine and everything i say might not apply to them
Posted via Mobile Device

Kings of Green LLC
06-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Dump trailer would be great I use a 20' trailer now
Posted via Mobile Device

ParkWelding
06-17-2012, 08:31 PM
I purchased an lco and a f350 dual 4x4 dump 7.3 diesel came in the package. I pull a 20ft trailer with a billy goat on it. Obviously its all set up for bagging which he bagged all 70 properties! I bag 0 unless the grass is real high.I'm thinking of selling the 350 and going with a f250 diesel. Am I crazy for down seizing?
Posted via Mobile Device

If the truck is in great shape, and you have another reason for not wanting a dump body or dual rear wheel truck, then you might want to see what you can get for it. If its the 1999+ style super duty cab you could get premium money for the truck with a 7.3 in it. Otherwise if you do a couple small upgrades to the truck you could be getting great MPG and may be worth keeping.

I also stopped bagging grass on all lawns back in 2009. I have had one person with an issue in all that time, and that was easily resolved. I lost no accounts because of it, have had no new customers with an issue either. I find that overall my lawns look better now than they did when I bagged, and am not toting around a full bed of grass every day in a 450 dump truck.

Kings of Green LLC
06-17-2012, 09:58 PM
If the truck is in great shape, and you have another reason for not wanting a dump body or dual rear wheel truck, then you might want to see what you can get for it. If its the 1999+ style super duty cab you could get premium money for the truck with a 7.3 in it. Otherwise if you do a couple small upgrades to the truck you could be getting great MPG and may be worth keeping.

I also stopped bagging grass on all lawns back in 2009. I have had one person with an issue in all that time, and that was easily resolved. I lost no accounts because of it, have had no new customers with an issue either. I find that overall my lawns look better now than they did when I bagged, and am not toting around a full bed of grass every day in a 450 dump truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kings of Green LLC
06-17-2012, 10:00 PM
I am having a hard time getting a value on the truck its not on nada or kbb any ideas on value? 2000 f350 with 235000 miles
Posted via Mobile Device

JDGlandscape
06-17-2012, 10:33 PM
It is on KBB. what you do is select F350 regular cab and in the options it gives you the option to select dump body and dual rear wheels.

It says it is worth right around 10k if it is a diesel, much less if not. But I doubt you will get someone to pay that much with that many miles on a dump truck.

Kings of Green LLC
06-18-2012, 12:33 AM
It is on KBB. what you do is select F350 regular cab and in the options it gives you the option to select dump body and dual rear wheels.

It says it is worth right around 10k if it is a diesel, much less if not. But I doubt you will get someone to pay that much with that many miles on a dump truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kings of Green LLC
06-18-2012, 12:40 AM
I agree hoping for $8500
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device