PDA

View Full Version : Weed barrier

jrsimpson77
06-18-2012, 02:58 AM
What to charge for laying down weed barrier? And to prep ground, remove weeds, tree suckers, level out ground, dig out dirt so rocks aren't spilling over curbing and onto grass. I've done this many times but only for a previous employer not my own business. I'm realize different area's are different in pricing but maybe I could get just general idea.

Thanks

White Gardens
06-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Time plus materials.

Depending on the size of the bed, it could take 1 person up to 3 days to prep an area for fabric and rock.

As for the fabric and landscape pins, I always markup anywhere from 15% to 25% or more depending on the location of the job, and how much I use.

Kartanimal29
06-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Use Preen , don't waste your time with the weed barrier fabric

Mark Oomkes
06-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Unless your going with stone mulch, you're wasting your time and the customer's money with the weed barrier. Even then, eventually weeds will grow. Basically all it does is keep the stones from sinking into the soil.

One of the biggest scams in history.

macgyver_GA
06-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Unless your going with stone mulch, you're wasting your time and the customer's money with the weed barrier. Even then, eventually weeds will grow. Basically all it does is keep the stones from sinking into the soil.

One of the biggest scams in history.

Yep I agree. One of my customers has lava rocks on top of weed fabric around her house and there are all sorts of weeds that grow in it. Mostly fireweed that grows in the thatch and organic material that was built up on top of it over the years. Not to mention they didn't put any sort of edging to keep the grass and rocks seperated so a lot of lava rocks have made their way into the grass and I run over them all the time. Fortunately they're relatively soft rocks so they don't damage my mower blades very much. There's no way to edge with the string trimmer without flinging rocks everywhere so the only way to edge the yard is with round up...ugh had to vent.