PDA

View Full Version : Two problems I have that I need help with

LawnsharkMB
06-18-2012, 03:51 PM
The first I have came across several times.

On the irrigation box when I try to set up the zone start times it will only go 1-4. The run times will go through all 8 zones. Has anybody seen this before? I've had this problem with Hunter and Rainbird boxes.

Problem #2. A residential client's Hunter irrigation box says OFF on the screen and will do nothing. I've been running the valves manually and it's really annoying because I have to keep coming back to cut off one zone and start another. The guy lives out of town so he can't do it himself.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

jvanvliet
06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Model of the controllers?

Kiril
06-18-2012, 04:03 PM

On the irrigation box when I try to set up the zone start times it will only go 1-4. The run times will go through all 8 zones. Has anybody seen this before? I've had this problem with Hunter and Rainbird boxes.

Start times have nothing to do with zones.

Problem #2. A residential client's Hunter irrigation box says OFF on the screen and will do nothing. I've been running the valves manually and it's really annoying because I have to keep coming back to cut off one zone and start another. The guy lives out of town so he can't do it himself.

Turn it on? Rain delay?

LawnsharkMB
06-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Start times have nothing to do with zones.

Turn it on? Rain delay?

So what do numbers 1-4 represent?

I've pushed every button on the thing, does nothing.

LawnsharkMB
06-18-2012, 04:09 PM

I have no idea.

Duekster
06-18-2012, 04:17 PM
there are too many controllers to give good info.

Most controllers have multiple programs A, B C and some times D.

You set up the run time for each station inside those programs.
You can set up to 4 start times for each of those programs. You also set up days of the week.

IE, I want to run a station 15 minutes but if I run 15 minutes I get run off so what I do is set the station to run 5 minutes, all 8 stations @ 5 mins = 40 mins. Can then set up the controller to start @ 3 AM 4:30 AM and 6:00 AM.

This keeps me from having overlap on the run times plus enough wiggle room to use the seasonal adjust.

The second controller likely shows off because it has because it was not programmed correctly.

There is a new residential Rainbird that programs a little differently I suppose to make it easier for HO.

Most of the time you only use one program for small res units but the say you have a flower bed that needs more frequent irrigation...
Instead of using the same program that is used for turf you can use a different program with different days of the week.

Kiril
06-18-2012, 04:21 PM

Start times for individual programs .... assuming you have what represents 99% of your resi/comm controllers on the market.

Kiril
06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Most of the time you only use one program for small res units but the say you have a flower bed that needs more frequent irrigation...

I will have to disagree. Unless you have a site with only 1 hydrozone or 1 valve, then you should be using more than one program. Even on tiny postage stamp sites, 3, and many times 4 programs are simply not enough.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Read the manual. It's obvious that you have no idea how to program / operate these controllers.

LawnsharkMB
06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
there are too many controllers to give good info.

Most controllers have multiple programs A, B C and some times D.

You set up the run time for each station inside those programs.
You can set up to 4 start times for each of those programs. You also set up days of the week.

IE, I want to run a station 15 minutes but if I run 15 minutes I get run off so what I do is set the station to run 5 minutes, all 8 stations @ 5 mins = 40 mins. Can then set up the controller to start @ 3 AM 4:30 AM and 6:00 AM.

This keeps me from having overlap on the run times plus enough wiggle room to use the seasonal adjust.

The second controller likely shows off because it has because it was not programmed correctly.

There is a new residential Rainbird that programs a little differently I suppose to make it easier for HO.

Instead of using the same program that is used for turf you can use a different program with different days of the week.

Gotcha. Thanks a lot.

As for the box that says off I was told maybe it was struck by lightning? Idk. Guess I will call in an a company that installs systems to take a look.

Duekster
06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Gotcha. Thanks a lot.

As for the box that says off I was told maybe it was struck by lightning? Idk. Guess I will call in an a company that installs systems to take a look.

If it manually runs lighting is unlikely.

Duekster
06-18-2012, 04:51 PM
I will have to disagree. Unless you have a site with only 1 hydrozone or 1 valve, then you should be using more than one program. Even on tiny postage stamp sites, 3, and many times 4 programs are simply not enough.

How so? I really want to know.

txirrigation
06-18-2012, 05:08 PM

I've pushed every button on the thing, does nothing.

1-4... sounds like you are looking at "Start Times" not "Run Times."

Mike Leary
06-18-2012, 05:08 PM

I agree, the old Hardie "Touch Command" had independent station programming, as does the Calsense, I assume. RainMaster has 12 programs, plus ISP, which I use a lot.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Best controller ever, for it's time (and the most misunderstood) was the Rain Bird ISC-B+. That was true station independent programming. The only problem was that a lot of people could just not wrap their head around how to program it. It was a damn stable controller too... electronically speaking.

1idejim
06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I bet it's just plain silly to ask if any electrical measuring devices have been involved
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
06-18-2012, 07:35 PM
1-4... sounds like you are looking at "Start Times" not "Run Times."

could be a stpi? controller. i think RB makes something that sounds like that. has touchpad daily and water 1-2-3-4 times. little control since it jvst divides 12 hrs into equal parts
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
06-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Lot of info without knowing what controllers are involved. EG #1 if it's modular, there's a possibility the module is not locked in or defective...

Carry on throwing the bull. Thumbs Up

Dripit good
06-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Operator error so far.

Sprinkus
06-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I hate that stpi controller. Throw in a "u" and a "d", rearrange the letters a little and that pretty much explains the way the programming is set up. :hammerhead:

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-18-2012, 09:13 PM
The first problem the op has come across several times. A clue that it is not one particular brand of controller. It's any controller with 4 start times.

LawnsharkMB
06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
The first problem the op has come across several times. A clue that it is not one particular brand of controller. It's any controller with 4 start times.

I'm straight on the first problem. I was thinking that you should be setting each zones start times.

Still no advice on the 2nd problem with the box just saying OFF. Has anybody seen this before?

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
06-18-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm straight on the first problem. I was thinking that you should be setting each zones start times.

Still no advice on the 2nd problem with the box just saying OFF. Has anybody seen this before?

Without knowing the make and model of the controller nobody here can really give you any kind of answer.

LawnsharkMB
06-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Without knowing the make and model of the controller nobody here can really give you any kind of answer.

I've gotten plenty of answers so far. I know I'm not gonna get a definite answer to the problem but if this box is doing this I'm sure somebody has seen this no matter the make and model.
Posted via Mobile Device

txirrigation
06-18-2012, 10:06 PM

Does it say: OFF, and somewhere on the display say sensor? If so, you have a malfunctioning rain sensor. Try to bypass the sensor and see what happens.

Kiril
06-18-2012, 10:08 PM
How so? I really want to know.

Differing intervals require different programs.

Kiril
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I've gotten plenty of answers so far. I know I'm not gonna get a definite answer to the problem but if this box is doing this I'm sure somebody has seen this no matter the make and model.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have seen it a bunch of times ..... when the controller is turned off.

Autoflow
06-18-2012, 10:11 PM

He should only service Weathermatic Smartline controllers, but then he would be saying the zone start time only works for station 1 but then they all come on.. :hammerhead:

irrig8r
06-18-2012, 10:38 PM

For gawd's sake man, RTFM!

Problem #1: I get calls from people occasionally who try to program a start time for every zone .... ya wanna know what they all say?

"Help! I can't get my controller to stop watering! It goes through all the zones and then starts all over again!"

It's really funny when it's a Total Control and you can program 16 start times....

Problem #2: Need more info. Is there a rain sensor installed?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
06-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Take a picture of it!

LawnsharkMB
06-18-2012, 11:18 PM
And FYI I just graduated from college with a degree in turf management and I have a pesticide license, so I'm very qualified to put down fert and pesticides. I haven't messed with irrigation boxes too much until now and was just trying to get some knowledge from people with experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
06-18-2012, 11:23 PM
And FYI I just graduated from college with a degree in turf management and I have a pesticide license, so I'm very qualified to put down fert and pesticides.

No offense man, but there is a whole lot more to managing a sites soils and plants than knowing how to calculate pounds of nutrients applied or jumping through state mandated hoops.

LawnsharkMB
06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
No offense man, but there is a whole lot more to managing a sites soils and plants than knowing how to calculate pounds of nutrients applied or jumping through state mandated hoops.

Agreed. Why do you think I'm here?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
06-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Agreed. Why do you think I'm here?

And I will repeat myself.

If you can't do even the most basic legwork before coming onto this forum and asking questions, then you should prepared to get flamed.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
06-18-2012, 11:40 PM
I bet a lot of us could Identify it with a general description of what it looks like, colors, button arrangements, etc....

1idejim
06-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Every controller has a manual somewhere. Most are available online FOC.
None of our regular contributers are bags.
How can you really expect to go online about a problem with a controller and not know the make or model?
A few pics would help but most of us are meer mortals (this excludes ML and KIRIL, the grumpy guy from florida, Fimco, Danamac, Hoskmo, irrig8or, Sheep boots and SoCal) and not clairvoient.
It is pretty much standard that a lawn service person tries to get some help here without having enough info to make a decent eval of the situation but yov brought zip and then insult one of our own....
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
06-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Original post; not helpful Kiril?

2nd post; also not helpful?

Lot of info without knowing what controllers are involved. EG #1 if it's modular, there's a possibility the module is not locked in or defective...

Carry on throwing the bull. Thumbs Up

I'm sure that if people weren't afraid of killing the gerbil, they'd kicked you in the butt a long time ago.

humble1
06-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Read the manual. It's obvious that you have no idea how to program / operate these controllers.

Rainbird and hunter have a homeowner assistance number. If this has been covered sorry in advance. With wells sometimes you would program 4 zones on prog A and the next 4 on prog B. Or is you are in a town with odd even restriction you run the front yard according to the restrictions and the back however you want. To check to see if its a cut line, or dead valves you can take wires at module and switch 1 to 4 that work with 5 to 8, if they fire and the prog is ok, try switching the module over to see if that works or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
06-19-2012, 02:03 PM
And I will repeat myself.

I took a quick look at the box Friday after running the heads manually and didn't think to get the make and model. I wasn't going to worry about it until I got back but I thought maybe I could get it figured out by posting on here. I'm terribly sorry I'm fairly new to the business and didn't think to get the make and model. From now on though I will ignore the know it alls such as yourself and just pay attention to the other 90% of the helpful posters. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Look dude.... nobody is TRYING to be an ass to you nor are they trying to be a know it all. The make and model is important because different makes and models of controllers have specific issues that everybody here is well aware of. If we had that information it would save a lot of back and forth and playing 20 questions and we'd probably be able to give you an answer much faster. That's all!

Kiril
06-19-2012, 02:34 PM
That's all!

Come on Dan, surely you got something more you would like to add.

Michael J. Donovan
06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
ok guys, I think we can/should move on from this one