PDA

View Full Version : Troy Built 4 stroke weedeater vs Echo 2 stroke weedeater

bebyb
06-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Okay, I am thinking about these two weedeaters:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_372989-65481-TB6042+XP_0__?Ntt=372989&productId=3606322&rpp=24

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100663438&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=

I know Echo is one of the best weedeaters made, but I like the 4 stroke that Troy Built offers. My main question is, would the Troy Built hold up as good, or at least almost as good, as the Echo? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

White Gardens
06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Echo, Troy Bilt is now made by MTD.

Ridin' Green
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM

http://www.lowes.com/pd_372989-65481-TB6042+XP_0__?Ntt=372989&productId=3606322&rpp=24

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100663438&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=

I know Echo is one of the best weedeaters made, but I like the 4 stroke that Troy Built offers. My main question is, would the Troy Built hold up as good, or at least almost as good, as the Echo? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

Unless something has changed, I believe that the Troybilt is still made by Ryobi for MTD. They used to be when the first 4 stroke TB's came out. I have a Ryobi 4 stroke trimmer that is identical to the early TB's, and it went 10 hard years of trimming without anything other than oil changes, and cleaning the air filter being done to it. I also used it with the tiller attachment to roto-til my fairly large garden after the plants got to tall to do any other way.

Still, I think you'd be happier with the lighter Echo.

RTR Landscaping
06-18-2012, 09:38 PM
I have no dog in this hunt as I run all RedMax trimmers. You should get the Echo.The old Troy Bilt company is gone. What you see now is made by MTD.
Echo is a quality product,MTD not so much.

bebyb
06-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

bebyb
06-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Unless something has changed, I believe that the Troybilt is still made by Ryobi for MTD. They used to be when the first 4 stroke TB's came out. I have a Ryobi 4 stroke trimmer that is identical to the early TB's, and it went 10 hard years of trimming without anything other than oil changes, and cleaning the air filter being done to it. I also used it with the tiller attachment to roto-til my fairly large garden after the plants got to tall to do any other way.

Still, I think you'd be happier with the lighter Echo.

Was there any advantage to having a four stroke over a two stroke?

weeze
06-19-2012, 01:00 AM
neither get a honda or a husqvarna with a honda engine.

4 strokes have more torque and use about half as much gas as 2 strokes. they are also quieter. they do weight a little more than 2 strokes but it's not a big deal.

newz7151
06-19-2012, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4446606]Unless something has changed, I believe that the Troybilt is still made by Ryobi for MTD. /QUOTE]

Ryobi is a rebranded Homelite. MTD, who actually had the Ryobi brand for a while, no longer produces the Ryobi units and parts.. well.. the common ones are still out there as far as filters and fuel line kits, but much more than that and.. ppfftt.

zo6
06-19-2012, 01:14 AM
What is a "weed eater" exactly??????

Ridin' Green
06-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Was there any advantage to having a four stroke over a two stroke?

Back when I bought it, I needed one quick, and I didn't have near the amount of 2 stroke stuff that I do today, so I wanted to try a 4 stroke which would mean I wouldn't have to have so much mixed fuel sitting around going stale. While it is quieter, it is heavier, and also while Stihl 4 mixer's are very torquey, the one you are looking at isn't nearly so much. Mine was designed for using normal use with .095" line but it would have been much better off running .080" instead power wise- if you run any other type of line besides round that is.

Overall, it was a great little trimmer for part time use, but if you need one for all day type trimming, of the two you are looking at get the Echo. No valves to adjust, lighter, revs faster, less moving parts in the engine to wear and/or cause trouble, and responds faster to a load being put on it.

Ridin' Green
06-19-2012, 01:22 AM

You know- four legs, horns and/or curly white hair they make clothes out of, craps constantly, some people think tastes good with mint jelly.........

Ridin' Green
06-19-2012, 01:29 AM
[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4446606]Unless something has changed, I believe that the Troybilt is still made by Ryobi for MTD. /QUOTE]

Ryobi is a rebranded Homelite. MTD, who actually had the Ryobi brand for a while, no longer produces the Ryobi units and parts.. well.. the common ones are still out there as far as filters and fuel line kits, but much more than that and.. ppfftt.

Ryobi is an actual brand, or at least was. They were around for a looong time before MTD got involved. I was buying Ryobi power saws down in FLA back in the early '80's for a lot less than what you could get a Makita or Milwaukee for back then, and they lasted just as long.

I bought my Ryobi trimmer long before I ever saw any Homelite, CC, or Troy Bilt trimmers in any stores around here, and when I finally did see those brands start showing up, they were exactly the same units with different colors and labels.

MTD was the US distributor for them for a while, and maybe even owned them, I can't say one way or the other on that. I know I used to call Ryobi directly here in the US when I needed a part or something.

blake101
06-19-2012, 01:43 AM

It's called a Billy Goat...

bebyb
06-19-2012, 01:44 AM
Back when I bought it, I needed one quick, and I didn't have near the amount of 2 stroke stuff that I do today, so I wanted to try a 4 stroke which would mean I wouldn't have to have so much mixed fuel sitting around going stale. While it is quieter, it is heavier, and also while Stihl 4 mixer's are very torquey, the one you are looking at isn't nearly so much. Mine was designed for using normal use with .095" line but it would have been much better off running .080" instead power wise- if you run any other type of line besides round that is.

Overall, it was a great little trimmer for part time use, but if you need one for all day type trimming, of the two you are looking at get the Echo. No valves to adjust, lighter, revs faster, less moving parts in the engine to wear and/or cause trouble, and responds faster to a load being put on it.

Thanks! I just put that Echo on there as an example. The Home Depot has about 10 different models of Echo trimmers. My max spending limit right now is about $275. Would there be any other Echo models that you would recommend for that price?

Ridin' Green
06-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Thanks! I just put that Echo on there as an example. The Home Depot has about 10 different models of Echo trimmers. My max spending limit right now is about $275. Would there be any other Echo models that you would recommend for that price?

Yea, it's orange in color and called a Husqvarna!:laugh: For $249 at Lowe's you can get the Husky 223L, and it is one sweet trimmer. I love mine, and I use it all the time. Plenty of power for almost any type of grass trimming except really tall, thick weedy crap. It only weighs 9 lbs, has a 24.5 cc engine and 1.01 hp. Best feeding, easiest to load trimmer head I've ever used too (outside of the speedfeed head). To top it all off, it has an outstanding rep for reliability. For another $30 bucks ($279) you can get the even better 323L with the same engine and weight, but 1.2 hp and a solid drive shaft.

weeze
06-19-2012, 06:00 PM
weedeater is a brand name of cheap trimmers/mowers sold at places like walmart. everyone calls trimmers weedeaters around here though.

hey it doesn't have to be good to make a company money. i bet weedeater has sold more trimmers than any other company out there. they cost about $70 and you probably have to buy 3 of them to last as long as one good commercial $300 trimmer.

GRASSMONKEYS
06-19-2012, 07:02 PM

ECHO is definitely the way to go, I have no troubles out of my 2 SRM225's. plenty of power and light. the SRM225 goes for about 200.00 and in my opinion is the best buy. The SRM230 is 289.00 and has a 22.8cc engine compared to the SRM225's 21.2, but of course it is heavier.

I have a like new Troy Built 4 stroke that just sits in my shed, anyone interested I'm in Md. If you don't want to mix gas and want something quieter that's it's positives.

newz7151
06-20-2012, 01:51 AM
[QUOTE=newz7151;4446951]

Ryobi is an actual brand, or at least was. They were around for a looong time before MTD got involved. I was buying Ryobi power saws down in FLA back in the early '80's for a lot less than what you could get a Makita or Milwaukee for back then, and they lasted just as long.

I bought my Ryobi trimmer long before I ever saw any Homelite, CC, or Troy Bilt trimmers in any stores around here, and when I finally did see those brands start showing up, they were exactly the same units with different colors and labels.

MTD was the US distributor for them for a while, and maybe even owned them, I can't say one way or the other on that. I know I used to call Ryobi directly here in the US when I needed a part or something.

I am simply telling you the way things are now. If we have an older model "Ryobi" branded unit come in for repair that is an MTD range built unit, some of the parts are available through MTD from our MTD central. MTD Ryobi was from 2000-2004. If it is a newer "Ryobi" that is in for repairs (which we generally do not take in anymore), they are rebadged Homelite units and parts are sourced through our Homelite/TTI distributor.

Ridin' Green
06-20-2012, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4446965]

I am simply telling you the way things are now. If we have an older model "Ryobi" branded unit come in for repair that is an MTD range built unit, some of the parts are available through MTD from our MTD central. MTD Ryobi was from 2000-2004. If it is a newer "Ryobi" that is in for repairs (which we generally do not take in anymore), they are rebadged Homelite units and parts are sourced through our Homelite/TTI distributor.

So who owns Homelite now?:dizzy::laugh:

BTW- I see the quote system is F'd again.:rolleyes:

crazyflyboy30
12-29-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks!

Do doubt in my mind Troy Built .I have a MTD/Ryobi 31cc 4 cycle that is 7 years old and it has been awesome I even run it to day and I have 3 Troy Built 29cc 2 are brand new.I am thinking of geting a Honda 35cc 4 cycle to play with.

crazyflyboy30
12-29-2012, 09:15 PM
weedeater is a brand name of cheap trimmers/mowers sold at places like walmart. everyone calls trimmers weedeaters around here though.

hey it doesn't have to be good to make a company money. i bet weedeater has sold more trimmers than any other company out there. they cost about $70 and you probably have to buy 3 of them to last as long as one good commercial $300 trimmer.

I remember was cuting grass when the fist band weedeater came out at that time I was only cutting 2 or 3 jobs.And I had a 3.5hp BS push mower ,8hp 36'' Yardman ,weedeater .

crazyflyboy30
12-29-2012, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4446965]

Can you tell me some thing about my MTD/Ryobi it is 31cc and it is in the time line of what you said 2000-2004.My Green Machine is in the same boat can't find much info.

WillsLandscape
01-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Go with the Echo, my trimmers are both Echo's and are both going on 15 years old, I would NOT go with the Troy-Bilt. That brand has changes into Toy-Bilt Lowes material. Plus, with the Echo, you get dealer support :)

jiggz
01-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Echo is far from the best trimmer.. they actually suck
I have a srm230 i bought from homedepot last year only because i got it for 200bucks there is no way i would pay 300 for that trimmer..

go to a landscape supply house and get a redmax tr2350s there about 275$ and will kick the **** out of that Echo

jiggz
01-21-2013, 06:24 PM
The problem I have with the echo is really my prefference on how i like to run trimmers.. I always like to take the guard and slide it up an inch..this will alow me to run 2 more inches of line, but still giving me the protection.. every trimmer I have ever used, performs 100 times better with another inch or 2 of line end of story.. And you cant do that with the Echo because the guard is bolted to the underside of the gearbox,..Plus Echo heads are garbage unless you get the speedfeed.. they are really bad to load..

After replacing the guard with one off an old redmax, and using a head off an old redmax. i dont mind the trimmer but out of the box there are better machines

slowleak1
01-21-2013, 09:49 PM
All echos come with speed feeds these days. As for the way you run your shields...doesn't make much sense.

Cant go wrong with buying from hd either. Anything over 299 is interest free for 6 months...helps keep your credit up.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnsquadnc
01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
I bought an echo srm 266 from my local dealer for $300 and it works great.It came with the larger speedfeed head which is easy to load and takes no time at all. Also you should run unleaded 89 in your 2 stroke equipment.

jiggz
01-22-2013, 02:57 PM
All echos come with speed feeds these days. As for the way you run your shields...doesn't make much sense.

Cant go wrong with buying from hd either. Anything over 299 is interest free for 6 months...helps keep your credit up.
Posted via Mobile Device

how does it not make sence?.. They simply run better with more line, more tq. especially an Echo because they dont give you much swath.. If you let out 25%-30% more line "and an srm230 can handel that" then you trim 25% to 30% faster..thats proven! saves 15-20 min for every hour trimming..im not quite sure what you dont understand? explain.. plus if your any taller then 5'9 edging is sooooomuch easier on the back with more line because your not bendind over holding the trimmer to the ground

And you can go really wrong buying from homedepot (unless it is for a backup)

If that machine goes down for any reason they are going to send it back to get factory serviced and your not going to see it for 3 weeks..My business cant operate that way!!
if im spending 300$ on a trimmer and it shits the bed, i expect to bring it back to my dealer and have him give me a loaner untill it is fixed the verry next day!!!!

ed2hess
01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
The problem I have with the echo is really my prefference on how i like to run trimmers.. I always like to take the guard and slide it up an inch..this will alow me to run 2 more inches of line, but still giving me the protection.. every trimmer I have ever used, performs 100 times better with another inch or 2 of line end of story.. And you cant do that with the Echo because the guard is bolted to the underside of the gearbox,..Plus Echo heads are garbage unless you get the speedfeed.. they are really bad to load..

After replacing the guard with one off an old redmax, and using a head off an old redmax. i dont mind the trimmer but out of the box there are better machines

You are wrong on about everything. The guard comes off and with the high torque head you can run a lot more line. And if you ask them they will put the honda bump head on and that has been around forever. And the speed head is garbage if you actually use it a lot. They wear quickly and then vibrate. And try loading that thing out in 100F.....

jiggz
01-22-2013, 09:30 PM
You are wrong on about everything. The guard comes off and with the high torque head you can run a lot more line. And if you ask them they will put the honda bump head on and that has been around forever. And the speed head is garbage if you actually use it a lot. They wear quickly and then vibrate. And try loading that thing out in 100F.....

I said the guard comes off!! That was the whole point of my statement. The problem is you cant move it to another location on the shaft like you can shaft mounted guards..If you just straight up take it off totally YOUR AN IDIOT and a LIABLITY! Unless you like getting smacked in the face with **** and throwing stuff 75 feet..

Ask Homedepot to switch out an Echo head and to put on a Honda head for you? Where do you get your information from?? Try that and watch them laugh at you!! I don’t even know if a dealer would do that for you unless you are a Really good customer and if that was the case he wouldn’t be considering a Troy built or asking about trimmers on a website

The speed feed head is garbage yes! yes!yes! That is why I switched to a Redmax head, If I thought it was a good head I would have used it

Im right on everything..You agree with most of it!! I have no idea what most of your post has to do with any of mine

WillsLandscape
01-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Well, I use the Echo aluminum fixed line heads, which are both going on 14-16 years old, which can basically never wear out because they are thick-a** metal, and the Shindaiwa UltraFlex .130 line almost never breaks, and you can basically brush cut and fine trim with the same machine.

Also, if you trim from right to left, you can take the Echo guards off and rarely have clippings come back to hit you.

WillsLandscape
01-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Fail...I meant to say that if you trim from left to right the clippings won't hit you.

biodale
01-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Save yourself a headache and put them both in the trash. Then spend a few more dollars and get Stihl. They have a hybrid four stroke that uses mixed fuel. Has the torque of a four stroke yet simple to maintain. The valves will have to be adjusted occasionally. They sure work well for me.

THORNTON SERVICES LLC
01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Husquvarna , echo , stihl all are decent trimmers , do not get the troy bilt I personally use all stihl small equipment because there is 5 dealers within 1/2 hour drive so if one place is out , another place will have what I need , my opinion is to look to see what kind of dealers are in your area and go with a brand that had a repitable dealer , the box stores are not that good to deal with for repairs. Plus a dealer can give you a good waranty on your piece of equipment , if you are new to business tell the dealer its for your home , home owner waranty is usually double what commercial is , this is just my opinion though.

crazyflyboy30
01-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Husquvarna , echo , stihl all are decent trimmers , do not get the troy bilt I personally use all stihl small equipment because there is 5 dealers within 1/2 hour drive so if one place is out , another place will have what I need , my opinion is to look to see what kind of dealers are in your area and go with a brand that had a repitable dealer , the box stores are not that good to deal with for repairs. Plus a dealer can give you a good waranty on your piece of equipment , if you are new to business tell the dealer its for your home , home owner waranty is usually double what commercial is , this is just my opinion though.

Yes I am a Home Owner . :laugh::laugh::laugh: