PDA

View Full Version : Customers! Rant!

DVS Hardscaper
06-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Have I ever told you how much I love customers??!!

Ya know, I have a contract that spells everything out. It lists every move we will make and it itemizes quantities of materials that we will use.

Along the way on just about every job we will do something extra and I won't charge for it. And sometimes I may charge - but we do it at near cost.

I don't expect a big that-a-boy letter from the customer. I don't care if they say thank you or not.

But one thing that irks me to no end is when they wait until the last minute and come up with a silly excuse to not release the final payment! My contract clearly states "payment is due on day of completion". Our clients KNOW when we will be finished. I am HUGE on communicating. It's not like we just out of the blue finished and I said "ok, pay up".

Don't send me a text message saying "we will wait for the tenant to inspect before we give you the final payment" :hammerhead:

No, it's not a large amount of money. It's merely the principle of the matter. I thrive off of principle, in my personal life and business. I preach to my kid about morals and doing what's right. I live principle. You know we're finishing up - you get your butt over there and you do the inspection while we're there.

I was raised to always do something extra for people when we do jobs for them. And will continue to do so. Just live up to your end of the agreement, thats all i ask.

Ok, I'm stepping off my soapbox, my rant is over :sleeping:

I'll take the high road and just play along with the client :weightlifter:

jbailey52
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Well, this will be the last time I hire you to do one of my apartments!

FLCthes4:11-12
06-18-2012, 10:16 PM
I thought it only happened to me. Customers that are there with you every step of the way with questions (which I dont mind) and pouring over you the whole time hear the blower and see you loading up the tractor suddenly need to leave. And I get oh just leave the final invoice and we will drop a check in the mail. I then ask what they are doing for dinner cause I will still be here waiting everyone hahaha. I'm serious pay me. So anti climatic to leave a finished job without a check.

jbailey52
06-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Let me rant. I don't think I have ever been this mad before. I looked at a very good condition 1998 international dump truck. Called my insurance broker to find out what the insurance is.. She says its $xx a year. Right in line with my other trucks so I add it to the policy and purchase the truck... I get my insurance renewal in the mail... My policy goes up 7,000!!!!!!!!!!!! So my agent is obviously closed to I call the actuall provider. Oh well she must not have seen that adding this truck makes 5 trucks now so you have a bigger policy.... 7000 a year in insurance for one truck, it's more than half I paid for the truck in cash... So now what do I do? I'm sure when I am waiting at my insurance brokers door at 9 am the are just going to say "opps"

DVS Hardscaper
06-18-2012, 11:04 PM
I thought it only happened to me. Customers that are there with you every step of the way with questions (which I dont mind) and pouring over you the whole time hear the blower and see you loading up the tractor suddenly need to leave. And I get oh just leave the final invoice and we will drop a check in the mail. I then ask what they are doing for dinner cause I will still be here waiting everyone hahaha. I'm serious pay me. So anti climatic to leave a finished job without a check.

What makes it more frustrating is that you have a fantastic relationship each and every step of the way. Contractor and client get along great. Seeing eye to eye, positive conversations, etc.

And then they spring this crap at the very end. I get angry. I'm nice, but my anger is triggered so I'm very Kurt with my sentences to them. This nice, quiet, low key, chill guy they been working for the last month does a 360 and becomes a different person.

My biggest factor against me is that I'm a seasoned veteran contractor. Meaning the more things like this happen to me, the madder I get, because I get feit up.

(I'm certain these people will pay me tomorrow via credit card, it's really not as dramatic as I make it sound, I'm just annoyed and only fellow contractors can relate, like I said it's the principle of the matter)

alexschultz1
06-19-2012, 12:43 PM
I get the "my husband is out I can pay you when he gets back in town" card all the time... The only thing that pops in my mind is, how do you maintain a happy relationship when your spouse does not have enough trust in you to write a check for an already signed contract. and suprise suprise they are always stay at home moms with nannies and cleaning companies
Posted via Mobile Device

Moneypit
06-23-2012, 11:17 AM
My personal favorite is "Well the banks are not open now so I cant pay you untill tomorrow."

Duekster
06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
It is the weasel factor. I like it better when they try to negotiate up front, they try to lower prices and increase scope then act surprised when your price actually is going up.

dycproperties
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Drives me crazy too have a job right now that is complete that I am wanting for payment on. On the day we finnished the customer wasnt home for the first time in the week and a half we were on the job. Previous days he had hung around all day watching the progress and talking to my foreman. Next day we call for payment he starts complaining about a high spot on the lawn section we did as part of the job . Area in question was done at his request after the fact to hide that he had built his deck higher than the lawn grade the guys told him what to expect and he still wanted this, then the foreman had him look at it before we hydroseeded and he was fine with it. Now that it's time to pay out come the d bag excuses. He's supposedly going to pay Monday. Weasel factor is right.
Posted via Mobile Device