PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Fs100Rx or Husky 326Ls

cuttenup
06-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Looked at these two trimmers today. Which would you go with? Why? I will be using it for trimming purposes only.

Ridin' Green
06-19-2012, 05:02 PM
While I love the torque of the Stihl 4 mixer's, I'd take the Husky without hesitation. Less moving parts, lighter, and plenty of power. Solid reputation for dependability too.

lawnboy dan
06-19-2012, 06:32 PM
the husky! sthil 4 mix is garbage

GMLC
06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
I would go with the Stihl. Going on 15 years of trouble free Stihl products. I love my 4 mixes! I call BS on the haters...
Posted via Mobile Device

2stroked
06-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Husqvarna all the way!

southgagrass
06-19-2012, 08:49 PM
My guys always go for the 100 for some reason just about can't get them to use anything else.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
06-19-2012, 09:24 PM
My guys always go for the 100 for some reason just about can't get them to use anything else.

I'll second this. My 2 employees love the 100. No dealer in my area for husky so I've never tried their products.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scagguy
06-19-2012, 09:36 PM
I have 9 of them. They are run hard 5 days a week 10-12 hour days. Very few problems over the years. Same with the BR 600's and the pole saws. Other people may have had problems with their stuff, but I've found that 89 octane and Opti-2 work great in these machines.

michaelee2
06-21-2012, 06:30 PM
I have both and I use my Stihl more than the Husky. I love them both and they are both great trimmers but I just seem to like the torque of the stihl 4 mix better. Actually thinking about picking up another stihl trimmer before long

lawnboy dan
06-22-2012, 06:43 AM
all the 100,s of posts of problems with the 4 mix arnt bs

GMLC
06-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Its always the same handful of bashers. There are many here including myself with thousands and thousands of hours on trouble free Stihl products. Like I said im going on 15 years and cant be happier!
Posted via Mobile Device

Zero Turn Fanatic
06-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Both are great choices, but you can't go wrong with Stihl. I have a FS90R, and it is a beast. Husqvarna is pretty good, but you gotta watch what your buying from them. I would demo them both, but the Stihl has more torque from the 4 Mix.

Alan0354
06-23-2012, 03:47 AM
Husky 326.

chagh2.0
06-23-2012, 05:42 AM
I have 12 of the 90 r and there great 89 oct and echo oil never a big problem

jbell36
06-23-2012, 10:13 AM
the torque on the fs 100 is ridiculous for a trimmer, it's way too much...my company has broken 6 windows in the last year and a half simply because if the stihls pick up a rock they are going to launch it...we never had that problem with our shindy's...i'm looking into buying different trimmers...the stihl's are also very touchy, seems like you can either give it just a little throttle or full, not much of a medium...but as far as reliability i love stihl, all of our handhelds are stihl, i like to keep everything the same brand...love my chainsaws and pole saws...anyways, we are looking into the husky trimmers, heard good things about them

Bumpmaster
06-23-2012, 10:21 AM
If you want your trimmer to resemble a dirt bike. Go with the Stihl.

J Dawg
06-23-2012, 02:52 PM
I would go with the Stihl. Going on 15 years of trouble free Stihl products. I love my 4 mixes! I call BS on the haters...
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. The 4 mix engine is a very good engine and the only trick to keeping them working properly is high quality fuel and oil mixed at a 50:1. While there are more moving parts and burns like a 4 cycle, the weight difference is a pound and a half and they seem to have much more power and torque than do the 2 cycles. IMO

sildoc
06-23-2012, 10:24 PM
I am not a hater of stihl but I am done with them. I am now looking for a new line of handheld equipment. I have had stihl over the last 6 years and have been having nothing but problems. My older stihl which is 12 years old runs great all the time but the new stuff is garbage. Problems flooding trimmers if they flip in the rack. clogging carbs, clogged screens till we take them off, you name it just run like crap. I am thinking of going back to the husky 326. wondering about redmax or shindy's? I will no longer own a stihl, they are way to picky of fuel and handling.

Busybee Lawns
06-24-2012, 10:15 AM
the 326 weight is (9 Pounds) solid steel shaft drive no cable!
it is a true 2 stroke with adjustable carb fyi. just need the tool to do so.
at 24.5 cc you get 1,2 hp which will cut threw at lot of tall siht.
Put a speed feed on it . try them all out ! find what fits your needs it;s your money!!!!!!!

jackal
06-24-2012, 11:10 AM
I have the rx 100. I don't like it nearly as well as an fs 85.

morgaj1
06-24-2012, 02:10 PM
I have a Husky 326LS with a Speedfeed head. I had Echo and Kawasaki before this one and the Husky outperforms all of them. It is light, powerful and starts on the 2nd pull every time. I just can't get used to the idea of valves and 2-stroke gas. There is enough problem with carbon buildup on the exhaust port of a 2-stroke. You add small valves to the mix and I think you are asking for trouble. And yes, I run synthetic - either Motul 800 or Stihl Ultra. I loved the old 25cc 2-stroke Stihl motors (FS-85, FC-75, etc.), but do not want any part of the 4-mix technology.

BAKERS
06-24-2012, 09:45 PM
I believe that the Husqvarna 326LS is the finest product they've ever made, power, performance, weight, and down right reliability. We sell a couple hundred every year, and I give my customers a no questions asked money back gaurantee and this trimmer. If there's an honest try given there has been no refunds yet... I dont usually comment on these things but i feel so strongly abou this trimmer....

Busybee Lawns
06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
I bought a 327ls this trimmer is powerfull and light and a true 2 stroke!.
I compare this trimmer to my shindiwaT230x very balanced!
the only thing is that a speical tool is needed to adjust or the dealer

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
06-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Stihl 100rx

Busybee Lawns
06-27-2012, 08:26 PM

husqvarna trimmers A tool is needed too adjust the carb! but you can adjust the carb!!!
my shindiawa is fixed no adjustments. all of shitl are 4 stroke inbreed.
buy up them true 2 strokes because the e piss a wants them gone!

Dave Archer
07-06-2012, 02:29 AM
I loved my Stihl FS110R for its power, but had Stihl on speeddial with the issues I had with it. Not sure if I had a lemon or not, but the service department couldnt really get my 4 mixes to work properly. Not sure if is is total BS...

Burnie
07-06-2012, 04:49 PM
husqvarna trimmers A tool is needed too adjust the carb! but you can adjust the carb!!!

Just wondering from someone who has a 326LS, is this the adjustment tool for the carb? http://www.edgeandengine.com/store/ehp-530035560.html
Can't find the trimmer local and was looking at one for $305 shipped, but would like, if needed, the tool to adjust the carb. Don't want to take it somewhere where I didn't get it to have it adjusted if it needs to be adjusted.

lawnboy dan
07-06-2012, 06:02 PM
more posts with trouble for the sthil 4 mix? say it isnt so

castlerockmo
07-06-2012, 09:18 PM
326=last forever! All I will run!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Archer
07-07-2012, 02:01 AM
and was absolutely amazed! I put many hours on my Stihl 110R, and did many many jobs with it, including brush work. I cleared a patch with this machine much quicker and efficiently than the FS110R. If you use the 110R, you understand that it doesn't take much to bog the trimmer down, and I found myself going over areas several times. I moved this 326LS as fast as I could move it, and the only thing that held it back in the big stuff was the .095 Husqvarna XP Force trimmerline (Great line that I will gun most of the time). I will try some of my Square Magnum Gatorline and see how that does, as I used it with my FS110. I agree with Ridin' Green in that the T-35 trimmerhead for the 326LS is the absolute best out there. I had issues with line feeding on the 110 and my Echo SRM-225. All the issues that people have and are having with the Stihl trimmers I had also...If you don't own a FS110R, look at the videos on that popular video site and watch how it cuts down brush...watch them try to sell it to you as they cut, cut the same area again, and go over it again. Listen to the machine bog down situations where a machine in this price range should not. The people that are speaking so highly of Stihl are those that have spent the big dollars on them and don't want to face the reality that there are other machines out there that are much better. People don't like their choices challenged--it is offensive to them, causing a defensive reaction. In the past, all I owned was Stihl...BR600, FS110R, and the only piece of machinery I had by Stihl that didn't give problems was the 2 stroke handblower. Are the Stihl trimmers good trimmers--yes. Are there better machines out there--yes. There ya go. The ONLY thing I miss about the Stihl is the lower noise level...2 cycles are LOUD...Sorry for jumping tangents--typed it as it came to me...

superdog1
07-07-2012, 02:46 AM
I love Sthil. I have Sthil hedge trimmers and Sthil trimmers. With that being said, my Sthil Backpack blower was left on a job site by one of my EX-employees. The dealer I love and normally deal with was closed for a religious holiday that few of us observe (they are Mennonite). I needed a back pack blower that day and could not wait. I was going to buy one at Lowes, but I decided that buying from a local dealership would be a smarter move.

I stopped at a Husky dealer and fired up a couple of their blowers to see what I would think. I was BLOWN away (pun intended, Lol)! I must say, I LOVE this blower (560 BTS). It starts on the 2nd pull every time, has a lot more power than my Sthil unit did (BR 380) and was cheaper than what I paid for the Sthil. Since I don't remember what the specs are, it may be an unfair comparison power-wise?

I also just bought a Sthil KM90 Kombi system power unit with the articulating hedge trimmer and string trimmer head unit about 3 weeks ago. My guys love it, I hate it, and I like my Sthil FS90 with the bike handles. The FS90 is 2 years old, starts every time on the 2nd pull and is great. The KM unit is horrible! I have to yank my brains out to get it started every time.

With all of this being said, I would have no problem buying the Husky unit and trusting it. With the pricing I found in my area, the Husky is $40 less, so why not try it? Heck, $40 is two cases of Coors light and they taste pretty darn good after a hard day in the sun (truck said it was 99 degrees today!).

leon2245
07-07-2012, 07:10 AM
and was absolutely amazed! I put many hours on my Stihl 110R, and did many many jobs with it, including brush work. I cleared a patch with this machine much quicker and efficiently than the FS110R. If you use the 110R, you understand that it doesn't take much to bog the trimmer down, and I found myself going over areas several times. I moved this 326LS as fast as I could move it, and the only thing that held it back in the big stuff was the .095 Husqvarna XP Force trimmerline (Great line that I will gun most of the time). I will try some of my Square Magnum Gatorline and see how that does, as I used it with my FS110. I agree with Ridin' Green in that the T-35 trimmerhead for the 326LS is the absolute best out there. I had issues with line feeding on the 110 and my Echo SRM-225. All the issues that people have and are having with the Stihl trimmers I had also...If you don't own a FS110R, look at the videos on that popular video site and watch how it cuts down brush...watch them try to sell it to you as they cut, cut the same area again, and go over it again. Listen to the machine bog down situations whhere a machine in this price range should not. The people that are speaking so highly of Stihl are those that have spent the big dollars on them and don't want to face the reality that there are other machines out there that are much better. People don't like their choices challenged--it is offensive to them, causing a defensive reaction. In the past, all I owned was Stihl...BR600, FS110R, and the only piece of machinery I had by Stihl that didn't give problems was the 2 stroke handblower. Are the Stihl trimmers good trimmers--yes. Are there better machines out there--yes. There ya go. The ONLY thing I miss about the Stihl is the lower noise level...2 cycles are LOUD...Sorry for jumping tangents--typed it as it came to me...

I see the srm-225 currently comes with the speedfeed head already- was it that giving you problems on your echo? Because I notice a few guys here are putting it on their 326ls too (& is that system compatible with stihls)?

Ridin' Green
07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I love Sthil. I have Sthil hedge trimmers and Sthil trimmers. With that being said, my Sthil Backpack blower was left on a job site by one of my EX-employees. The dealer I love and normally deal with was closed for a religious holiday that few of us observe (they are Mennonite). I needed a back pack blower that day and could not wait. I was going to buy one at Lowes, but I decided that buying from a local dealership would be a smarter move.

I stopped at a Husky dealer and fired up a couple of their blowers to see what I would think. I was BLOWN away (pun intended, Lol)! I must say, I LOVE this blower (560 BTS). It starts on the 2nd pull every time, has a lot more power than my Sthil unit did (BR 380) and was cheaper than what I paid for the Sthil. Since I don't remember what the specs are, it may be an unfair comparison power-wise?

I also just bought a Sthil KM90 Kombi system power unit with the articulating hedge trimmer and string trimmer head unit about 3 weeks ago. My guys love it, I hate it, and I like my Sthil FS90 with the bike handles. The FS90 is 2 years old, starts every time on the 2nd pull and is great. The KM unit is horrible! I have to yank my brains out to get it started every time.

With all of this being said, I would have no problem buying the Husky unit and trusting it. With the pricing I found in my area, the Husky is $40 less, so why not try it? Heck, $40 is two cases of Coors light and they taste pretty darn good after a hard day in the sun (truck said it was 99 degrees today!).

superdog1

The model number is actually 570.;)
I bought one last fall to go with my other BP's, and you are right, it has some cahones. It is in the same class as all the big BP's, though it's stronger than just about all of them. It is way more powerful than the BR380, but it is also more powerful than my BR600M that is only a year older than the 570. I used them exclusively for all my fall leaves last year, and the 570 once broken in, is noticably stronger than the 600. The Husky is a couple lbs heavier, but has a far superior shoulder harness system, and is way more comfortable for long periods of time. You made a great choice.:)

I like Stihl lawn care handheld equipment and haven't had any trouble with it, but as my Stihl equipment wears out, I'll be switching over to all Husqvarna (outside of chainsaws where Jonsered rules) because so far, all of my Husky stuff is just better overall.

superdog1
07-07-2012, 02:30 PM
superdog1

The model number is actually 570.;)

Ok? I don't have access to it right now, as it is loaded on the trailer and I don't feel like walking down the hill to the shop (It is like 105 degrees outside!!!:dizzy: ) so I will have to take your word for it? Anyways, I am beginning to think that no matter who you are or what you use, sooner or later, we will all end up having problems with our gear.

When you take into consideration how many units each major CO ships per month, there is bound to be an issue with one or two of them. No matter how good their quality control measures are, one or two are bound to slip through. Overall, it seems that people who use commercial units have a much better experience than guys/gals that use Home Depot/Lowes brand units.

I have heard both sides of the argument. One school of thought is that with the prices of the homeowner grade units, they become disposable? The idea is that 2 cheap units will last just as long as 1 commercial unit and you can just toss them in the dumpster when they die. I personally do not agree with this. I will say that I had a Ryobi trimmer I bought for home use. It looked cheap, felt cheap, stuff rattled around when you ran it and I never put any grease in the tube. We used it for 2 years in my business and prior to that, I had it for home use since 1999. The only reason it quit was the fact that the drive shaft wore through the tube, otherwise it would still be going, Lol.

On the other side of this argument, most people feel that by spending twice as much (or more, Lol) on a commercial unit and doing the proper maintenance, you can get 10,15, or even 20 years use out of the machine. I can't answer this question, as I haven't been in business that long? I am going to follow the 2nd train of thought and buy commercial units. I simply can not afford the down time if something pukes.

Dave Archer
07-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I would suggest you putting the Husqvarna universal T-35 tap head on your Echo...You can buy it at Lowes. It of course is made for Husqvarna and fits Stihl, Echo, Redmax, Shindaiwa and Poulan. The T-35 head is awesome.

Ridin' Green
07-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Ok? I don't have access to it right now, as it is loaded on the trailer and I don't feel like walking down the hill to the shop (It is like 105 degrees outside!!!:dizzy: ) so I will have to take your word for it? Anyways, I am beginning to think that no matter who you are or what you use, sooner or later, we will all end up having problems with our gear.

When you take into consideration how many units each major CO ships per month, there is bound to be an issue with one or two of them. No matter how good their quality control measures are, one or two are bound to slip through. Overall, it seems that people who use commercial units have a much better experience than guys/gals that use Home Depot/Lowes brand units.

I have heard both sides of the argument. One school of thought is that with the prices of the homeowner grade units, they become disposable? The idea is that 2 cheap units will last just as long as 1 commercial unit and you can just toss them in the dumpster when they die. I personally do not agree with this. I will say that I had a Ryobi trimmer I bought for home use. It looked cheap, felt cheap, stuff rattled around when you ran it and I never put any grease in the tube. We used it for 2 years in my business and prior to that, I had it for home use since 1999. The only reason it quit was the fact that the drive shaft wore through the tube, otherwise it would still be going, Lol.

On the other side of this argument, most people feel that by spending twice as much (or more, Lol) on a commercial unit and doing the proper maintenance, you can get 10,15, or even 20 years use out of the machine. I can't answer this question, as I haven't been in business that long? I am going to follow the 2nd train of thought and buy commercial units. I simply can not afford the down time if something pukes.

I agree with the commercial side of the debate myself.

BTW- My bad. You could,and probably do have a 560. I completely forgot about them coming out. That is the newest BP Husky has out, and it hasn't been out for too long. They are the same as the Redmax 6500. Still, a lot more power than the BR380. ( 560 specs= 232 MPH/636 CFM at the nozzle).

morgaj1
07-07-2012, 05:17 PM
superdog1I like Stihl lawn care handheld equipment and haven't had any trouble with it, but as my Stihl equipment wears out, I'll be switching over to all Husqvarna (outside of chainsaws where Jonsered rules) because so far, all of my Husky stuff is just better overall.

FYI, Jonsered chainsaws are actually Husqvarna chainsaws with a different color scheme. When Electrolux bough Jonsered, there were still some Jonsered-designed saws. But, there haven't been any made in quite a number of years. I have a Husqvarna 346XP chainsaw, but think the same saw as a Jonsered (Model 2153) is much better looking saw.

Ridin' Green
07-07-2012, 05:49 PM
FYI, Jonsered chainsaws are actually Husqvarna chainsaws with a different color scheme. When Electrolux bough Jonsered, there were still some Jonsered-designed saws. But, there haven't been any made in quite a number of years. I have a Husqvarna 346XP chainsaw, but think the same saw as a Jonsered (Model 2153) is much better looking saw.

I'm very familiar with all the major brands of chainsaws. Jonsered is owned by Husky now, but when Electrolux owned them both, Jonsered was the premier saw in their line-up. That came straight from their importer at Tilton via a phone conversation one day several years back. Husky is now it's own separate company from Electrolux. There's a ton of info posted here on LS alone about that point.

Any major, new development has always came out on Jonsered saws well before being available on a Husky. I'm not knocking Husky here either. I love their stuff. Just pointing out some facts.

For example- The turbo cleaning system came out on Jonsered chainsaws to prolong air filter cleaning intervals and maintain peak performance was available on them long before it was available on a Husky (and now later still, Stihl) chainsaws. Go to the pro tree forum here and see which saw is rated/regarded most highly of the major brands. I ran Stihl chainsaws for 20+ years before switching to all Jonsered saws, and now will never run anything else. They may share the same engine as the Husky, but the ergonomics are far different and far more comfortable, especially for long periods of use.

They are not always equal in real world performance either, at least not in the past, saw for saw. There were slight differences in carbs etc in the past that gave an edge to Jonsered saws. These days they may well be equal in performance since it makes good business sense for Husky to make everything the same on each and yet still offer both brands for folks to choose from who have an affinity for one or the other.

Truth is, there are only a very small number of places in the world that manufacture cylinders or carbs for chainsaws, so all the majors are on fairly equal footing there. It's what they do with the components after they buy them that makes the difference in performance from one brand to another.

morgaj1
07-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm very familiar with all the major brands of chainsaws. Jonsered is owned by Husky now, but when Electrolux owned them both, Jonsered was the premier saw in their line-up. That came straight from their importer at Tilton via a phone conversation one day several years back. Husky is now it's own separate company from Electrolux. There's a ton of info posted here on LS alone about that point.

Any major, new development has always came out on Jonsered saws well before being available on a Husky. I'm not knocking Husky here either. I love their stuff. Just pointing out some facts.

For example- The turbo cleaning system came out on Jonsered chainsaws to prolong air filter cleaning intervals and maintain peak performance was available on them long before it was available on a Husky (and now later still, Stihl) chainsaws. Go to the pro tree forum here and see which saw is rated/regarded most highly of the major brands. I ran Stihl chainsaws for 20+ years before switching to all Jonsered saws, and now will never run anything else. They may share the same engine as the Husky, but the ergonomics are far different and far more comfortable, especially for long periods of use.

They are not always equal in real world performance either, at least not in the past, saw for saw. There were slight differences in carbs etc in the past that gave an edge to Jonsered saws. These days they may well be equal in performance since it makes good business sense for Husky to make everything the same on each and yet still offer both brands for folks to choose from who have an affinity for one or the other.

Truth is, there are only a very small number of places in the world that manufacture cylinders or carbs for chainsaws, so all the majors are on fairly equal footing there. It's what they do with the components after they buy them that makes the difference in performance from one brand to another.

I agree with you on the ergos on the Johnny Reds. The biggest reason that I bought the Husqvarna over the Jonsered is the sometimes spotty parts suppy of Tilton. It's no big deal on parts that are the shared with Husky, as you can simply buy Husky parts. But covers and such that are specific to J-Red can sometimes be a problem.

I will also agree with you that, in previous years, developments usually surfaced on Jonsered saws first. This is no longer the case. For example, Auto-tune showed up on Huskys a while back. I do not know of a Jonsered with that feature. Also, now the latest/greatest saws come out as Huskys first. Take the current 550XP, 562XP and 555. These are the newest saws in the Husky line up. They are all 3 available at Husky dealerships. Jonsered has yet to announce the black/red counterparts of these saws.

beaver29
02-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I have a Stihl FS100RX and it seems real powerful for it's weight. Does the Husky 326 have as much power as the FS100? I see that it is a pound lighter in weight.

Ridin' Green
02-13-2013, 11:37 PM
The FX100 has 1.4 hp and the 326 has 1.2. They are close. The Stihl may have the edge at low rpm's, but trust me, you will rarely need more than what the 326 offers. It is about identical in power to the FS90, but a lot lighter in weight.

beaver29
02-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks Ridin Green. So it can handle if I want to swing about 18-20" of string (guard off) without bogging down? I think I might give the Husky a shot, I am in the market for a new trimmer and was thinking og going with another FS100.

sildoc
02-13-2013, 11:56 PM
I started out with the Husky 326 and have intermixed with the stihl fs1110. Over all the guys usually go towards the husky. I have since quit buying the stihl for one it is more fussy than the husky 326. power wise they are similar but for day to day there is no reason to not go with the husky.

Ridin' Green
02-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Thanks Ridin Green. So it can handle if I want to swing about 18-20" of string (guard off) without bogging down? I think I might give the Husky a shot, I am in the market for a new trimmer and was thinking og going with another FS100.

I'd say that would depend more on the type and size of line you use than anything else. The Husky's are really nice units, and seem to start easily and run consistantly. I have several pieces of both Stihl and Husky, but anything that needs replacing in the future will get replaced with Husky.

weeze
02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
i'm gonna tell you like i always tell everyone. go with the husqvarna 224L. it's 4 stroke. it has more torque than 2 strokes and uses less gas and you don't have to mix oil with the gas. it has a honda engine on it.

Z's Lawncare
02-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Stihl 100rx all the way best trimmer i have ever used!!

herler
02-15-2013, 01:21 AM
I don't so much believe that either trimmer is better than the other but the reason I have two Husqvarna's in my collection of what would otherwise be pure Stihl's is because of the issue with Stihl's proprietary parts department, just for example I can order a Husqvarna tool online and have it shipped to my door, you can't do that with a Stihl.

With the exception of a few home owners selling their one and only here and then...
Just try and find a parts catalog.
Some you can find it but it's not supposed to be available.

Other than that they're both great tools because if Stihl's didn't last as long as they did I wouldn't have as many, but I'll put Husqvarna up alongside a Stihl any day.

lawnboy dan
02-15-2013, 07:31 AM
sthils parts system has turned me off also. i dont buy sthil anymore.

Busybee Lawns
02-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Now that i have used the 326l, for the summer I belive it's under powered
damm EPA!!

GMLC
02-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Personally I like how Stihl protects its dealer network and only allows dealers with the proper resources to have trained techs and a huge parts inventory in stock. They have not sold out to big box stores and internet companies which have decimated privately owned local businesses. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
02-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Personally I like how Stihl protects its dealer network and only allows dealers with the proper resources to have trained techs and a huge parts inventory in stock. They have not sold out to big box stores and internet companies which have decimated privately owned local businesses. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

But.... they are heading that way GMLC. There were several links posted here last summer about various A.C.E. hardware stores now carrying Stihll equipment, and some of them were right down the road from a full time Stihl dealership. They're going to have to "get on board or get left behind" it appears.:rolleyes:

GMLC
02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
But.... they are heading that way GMLC. There were several links posted here last summer about various A.C.E. hardware stores now carrying Stihll equipment, and some of them were right down the road from a full time Stihl dealership. They're going to have to "get on board or get left behind" it appears.:rolleyes:

Most dont realize the each ACE hardware store is independently owned. Also they are still required to have factory trained techs and the required parts inventory in stock. Actually some ACE stores also carry commercial mowers as well. Not all stores are this way, its up to the owner to decide if they want a shop/dealership. They must follow all the same Stihl rules. My ACE is a Carhart dealer and rents commercial equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Most dont realize the each ACE hardware store is independently owned. Also they are still required to have factory trained techs and the required parts inventory in stock.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know that, but you are right- most don't know it. I talked with a Stihl rep last year though that says it's coming, it's just a matter of time. If they don't they will lose too much business. I really hate to hear that. I hate this world economy crap. It is forcing everyone into one big gov't owned boat, and sooner or later it'll be one big world gov't owned boat.

GMLC
02-15-2013, 12:47 PM
I know that, but you are right- most don't know it. I talked with a Stihl rep last year though that says it's coming, it's just a matter of time. If they don't they will lose too much business. I really hate to hear that. I hate this world economy crap. It is forcing everyone into one big gov't owned boat, and sooner or later it'll be one big world gov't owned boat.

Sad but true.....

I know qualifying to be a Stihl dealer was a big accomplishment for a business. Something to strive for, guess like you said its only a matter of time....
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
02-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Sad but true.....

I know qualifying to be a Stihl dealer was a big accomplishment for a business. Something to strive for, guess like you said its only a matter of time....
Posted via Mobile Device

The best we can hope for now I guess, is that it comes way off down the road sometime if has to come.

As for this thread topic- I like my Stihl equipment, but I am really starting to like Husky much more. Like I said above somewhere, I believe I will be replacing my Stihl equipment with all Husky as needed in the future.

GMLC
02-15-2013, 12:58 PM
The best we can hope for now I guess, is that it comes way off down the road sometime if has to come.

As for this thread topic- I like my Stihl equipment, but I am really starting to like Husky much more. Like I said above somewhere, I believe I will be replacing my Stihl equipment with all Husky as needed in the future.

Nothing wrong with Husky!! I wouldnt hesitate to run Husky equipment. Stihl has been good to me and is my current choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
02-15-2013, 01:03 PM
I've never really had any trouble much with Stihl (only one piece that I can think of), and just about exactly half my equipment is Stihl. It's just that I am getting better real world performance from my comparably priced/sized Husky equipment.

crazyflyboy30
02-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Its always the same handful of bashers. There are many here including myself with thousands and thousands of hours on trouble free Stihl products. Like I said im going on 15 years and cant be happier!
Posted via Mobile Device

The older Stihl are KO but new stuff not so much .I have got all new Husqvarna this year. I have 11 years old MTD Trimmer run like new one .Has not been nothing work on it not even a spark plug .

crazyflyboy30
02-17-2013, 12:59 AM
I started out with the Husky 326 and have intermixed with the stihl fs1110. Over all the guys usually go towards the husky. I have since quit buying the stihl for one it is more fussy than the husky 326. power wise they are similar but for day to day there is no reason to not go with the husky.

I know my Husqvarna 224L is a little heavier that the 326 or FX 100RX but the 224L has a lot of power .I use on some heavy cutting .I see no need to have one that has more power. There is no gas to mix. The engine is a Honda. It starts with one pull ever time cold or hot. I love it .:cool2:

GMLC
02-17-2013, 07:11 AM
The older Stihl are KO but new stuff not so much .I have got all new Husqvarna this year. I have 11 years old MTD Trimmer run like new one .Has not been nothing work on it not even a spark plug .

All my new stuff has been awesome. Trouble free and start on 1-2 pulls everyday.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnboy dan
02-17-2013, 08:59 AM
my beef with the sthil biz model is you are at the mercy of the counter person waiting on you. its nice to be able to at least be able to look up parts before you go in and know what to look for in advance.

crazyflyboy30
02-17-2013, 10:05 AM
my beef with the sthil biz model is you are at the mercy of the counter person waiting on you. its nice to be able to at least be able to look up parts before you go in and know what to look for in advance.

I know exactly what you are talking about .I have one dealer I go to for parts I must have a part no. or there are like :dizzy: I don't know at you got. :dizzy:

sildoc
02-17-2013, 10:56 AM
I know my Husqvarna 224L is a little heavier that the 326 or FX 100RX but the 224L has a lot of power .I use on some heavy cutting .I see no need to have one that has more power. There is no gas to mix. The engine is a Honda. It starts with one pull ever time cold or hot. I love it .:cool2:

We had one at one time and just didn't have the power for heavy cutting. Day to day was fine but when we do some fence line cut downs and fire abatement it just didn't have the power that the 2 smokes do.

crazyflyboy30
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
We had one at one time and just didn't have the power for heavy cutting. Day to day was fine but when we do some fence line cut downs and fire abatement it just didn't have the power that the 2 smokes do.

They must have give more power I was very surprised it was so power full .
I got a new Husqvarna book that has the 224L at 1.1 hp the 326LS is 1.2 hp all I can say the 224L has a lot of power I can do normal trimming at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, and full throttle it will cut all hlll up.:drinkup:

sildoc
02-17-2013, 10:20 PM
They must have give more power I was very surprised it was so power full .
I got a new Husqvarna book that has the 224L at 1.1 hp the 326LS is 1.2 hp all I can say the 224L has a lot of power I can do normal trimming at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, and full throttle it will cut all hlll up.:drinkup:

On day to day stuff it is a great trimmer. the problem is when you come to real thick wet weeds and the 4stroke only hits on every other stroke. that is when the 2 stroke shines. Hp and torque are to very different things. Torque is key to the trimmer when you need the power.
Similar to the diesel and gas engine thing. Torque is key!!! HP means nothing when your pulling a load!

weeze
02-17-2013, 11:19 PM
the 4 stroke has more torque than 2 stroke. 4 stroke cuts at 1/4-1/2 throttle things that a 2 stroke you have to cut at full throttle to get the same cut. this results in the 2 stroke using more fuel to run it.

i've used both. my dad has husqvarna 323L 2 stroke. it's light as a feather but you have to rev it way up to cut as good as my honda. also 2 stroke uses twice as much fuel almost and you have to pay for oil to mix with the gas. i trimmed my dad's 3 acre yard with his trimmer and it used over 1/2 of a tank. i used my honda one day it used about 1/4 of a tank. over time that's a huge amount of fuel savings not to mention no cost for oil to mix in the fuel. the 4 stroke weighs a bit more but you get used to it and then it's no big deal. it's also quieter which is nice.

crazyflyboy30
02-17-2013, 11:40 PM
the 4 stroke has more torque than 2 stroke. 4 stroke cuts at 1/4-1/2 throttle things that a 2 stroke you have to cut at full throttle to get the same cut. this results in the 2 stroke using more fuel to run it.

i've used both. my dad has husqvarna 323L 2 stroke. it's light as a feather but you have to rev it way up to cut as good as my honda. also 2 stroke uses twice as much fuel almost and you have to pay for oil to mix with the gas. i trimmed my dad's 3 acre yard with his trimmer and it used over 1/2 of a tank. i used my honda one day it used about 1/4 of a tank. over time that's a huge amount of fuel savings not to mention no cost for oil to mix in the fuel. the 4 stroke weighs a bit more but you get used to it and then it's no big deal. it's also quieter which is nice.

You know what I am talking about .ALL I can say is that the trimmer I have I did a test of for a 1/2 day on all kinds of grass to bush's to small trees it cut as good has ever seen from a trimmer .I would even go so far to say that is has good or better than me old Green Machine trimmer. I will never need a bigger trimmer.

ddixon7
02-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Of course you have to run a 2 stroke full throttle, there is really no in between on them. I haven't read this full thread, but can you run the true four stroke upside down and on its side? Does it get properly lubrication in all positions?

weeze
02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Of course you have to run a 2 stroke full throttle, there is really no in between on them. I haven't read this full thread, but can you run the true four stroke upside down and on its side? Does it get properly lubrication in all positions?

yes you can. read about it here:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/trimmers

crazyflyboy30
02-18-2013, 10:23 PM

What is better on the 327 than the 326 or323?
Only thing I can find is go from the 323 to the 326 is a plate on the bottom for $20 more so what does the 327 have?