PDA

View Full Version : Holly question

avguy
06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
I've got some hollies around a fence that in the past have been kept at a lower height. This year I want to let them grow about a foot or so taller to the top of the fence. They have not been trimmed yet this year. Normally it seems like we cut them 2-3 x a summer but so far this year I'm not seeing a lot of growth.

Do you cut them to stimulate more growth or leave them be? Here's what I'm talking about.....you can see some new growth but not a lot.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m171/avguywife/hollies.jpg

Dr.NewEarth
06-19-2012, 05:47 PM
leave them and just trim the ones that get to the right height.

agrostis
06-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Those holly's look normal. Give them a little time and they will get to where you want. Don't cut them back, holly's can take that but you won't gain anything.

Think Green
06-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Those needlepoint hollies are pretty much at the growth height from being repeat cut in the past. The inner stems and trunk has been trained for this height. The season has been real unusual this year and with either the lack of water thereof, the temperatures haven't been stable for a flourish of new growth. Needlepoint do not usually grow that fast with season like now, so let them grow until they reach the height you wish. Cutting will produce new growth but it will not be substantial and will only grow back to the height currently. You have trained them for the height you currently have. Hitting them with fertilizers will not do anything but warrant more water consumption.
Allow time for the season to regain the water tables and try later.

kirk1701
06-19-2012, 11:22 PM
I have holly down my fence row also, I'm half way to the top of a 4 foot fence with mine and have found triple 10 around them in early spring and when fall sets in does really well and the more you cut on them the more they grow, even if you just cut the ends off of every shoot and the ones that grow more are runners. Cut those so the rest of the shoots will grab that energy and grow.

I have this pic in another section, its a work in progress but hoping they will grow together:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/380330_2931401617557_49217903_n.jpg

andyslawncare
06-20-2012, 12:28 AM
The growth regulating hormone, auxin hangs out at the tips of new growth; remove the tips of the new growth and you will have more branching and a fuller shrub. This is nursery production 101 type stuff...Pinch the new growth, trim the new growth, prevent flowers on new shrubs...all 3 of these will help the plant grow faster. You should probably research somewhere else than here on your variety of shrub...lots of good and reliable sources.

avguy
06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
I started to see some growth this spring but then we got a late frost. If you look closely at the pic you can see the damage on the tips of the leaves. I think I'll give them another couple of weeks & see what happens.......Thanks

Kirk...nice property!

kirk1701
06-20-2012, 04:37 PM
I started to see some growth this spring but then we got a late frost. If you look closely at the pic you can see the damage on the tips of the leaves. I think I'll give them another couple of weeks & see what happens.......Thanks

Kirk...nice property!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/abs724/Smilies%20Hut/thanks.gif

Mine got hit with the same frost your's probably did but recovered nicely and continued to get a nice spring growth.

lcfd8
06-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I belive that they are an English holly. Vey SLOW growing, just leave them be!!