PDA

View Full Version : Van Owners

mowZ06
06-19-2012, 10:45 PM
I just bought a 2003 Chevy 2500 Express Cargo Van. My main truck is an 02 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 with the 8.1 and 4:10 rear . This truck has been real good to me with 125,000 miles so far. I pull a basic 16ft lawn trailer with it almost every day of the week with a 36,52 walk behind and a 60 Lazer. I was thinking about a back up truck just in case of a break down and thought I would get more use out of the van since mondays are usually a odd job day and I just started to get into the lawn treatment side of the business with around 20 so far. Vans are great for hauling flowers,fert,etc. Does anyone here use one to pull a 16 ft trailer full of mowers ? I hooked it up today to my trailer fully loaded and seemed to do ok with the load behind it.

precision8m
06-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Your van is a 2500 which means it has just about the same towing and hauling capabilities as your truck. For a 2500, thats normally at least 10,000 lbs, so you should be good for most things. A 16 ft trailer with three mowers on it will weigh about 4,000 to 5,000 lbs.
Using a van is actually a good call. You can carry more and keep plenty of spare parts and small items on hand while your small equipment is more secure. I think that more of us would be using vans if they were as cool to have as trucks.

gcbailey
06-20-2012, 08:50 AM
there is a larger greenhouse/nursery local that uses 3/4-1 ton cargo vans in conjunction with enclosed trailers, dump trailers. They are lettered up real nice and are very versatile for them. I know in one of the vans they have it setup with about 4 shelves in the back that would allow a shelf of hand tools, a couple shelves of flowers, shrubs, whatever. Real flexible.

mowZ06
06-20-2012, 06:41 PM
I used the van today with my trailer for my mowing and it worked out fine. Mowed 15 today and man was it hot out. The only thing I need to do is buy a different slide in hitch to raise the ball up since the van sits so much lower then my truck.