PDA

View Full Version : Orbit Voyager II = Hunter PGP?

irrig8r
06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Ran across these a a new customer today. Must be at least 6 or 8 years old.

The Voyager II looks like a clone of an older PGP except for the nozzle colors (green instead of red.)

Went to the website to compare nozzles with Hunter's and found something weird.

http://www.orbitonline.com/lib/media/55461-24%20rC(5)1.pdf

Check this out and look at the precip rates.

Nozzle tree apparently came with only eight choices instead of 12. (1,2,4,7,8)

Their standard pre-installed nozzle is called a "7", but the flow rate is less than their "4".... WTH?

Nobody bothered to change any. Quarters, thirds, halves, fulls... sun or shade, same nozzle. Hoping to save the client some money by just changing out nozzles but now I have to find the appropriate replacements from the Hunter line.

In any case will be a band-aid approach, but hopefully more uniform than before I got there.

Looks like the PGP "10" should double the flow of the Voyager "7" so be right for the full heads, as a start. And I do believe we have the pressure and flow to handle the change.

Wet_Boots
06-20-2012, 05:33 PM
the original Orbit version had a different cap than the PGP

irrig8r
06-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah. Cap is green. H.O. says 10+ years old.

Mike Leary
06-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Could the body be the same as a PGP, so you could swap-out the guts?

irrig8r
06-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah. Cap is green. H.O. says 10+ years old.

Kiril
06-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Hey Gregg, is the cap green?

irrig8r
06-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Hey Gregg, is the cap green?

BTW, did you hear? The cap is green.

Wet_Boots
06-20-2012, 09:28 PM
the cap is black - the rubber cover is green

grassman177
06-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I gave done the same thing before with orbit, and pgp alike..basically renozzled the whole system cuz every head has the same one!

Unfortunately, here the customer only goes with price so the y get a hack system.

Makes me glad home cheapo stopped carrying sprinklers so idiot home owners stop rigging their own systems with crap (not to mention screwing up the nozzling)
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
06-20-2012, 09:40 PM
If the PGP guts don't fit the Orbits, retro them with RB 5000 w/MPR nozzles if you've got different arcs on the same zone.

greenmonster304
06-20-2012, 10:11 PM
It's funny/sad when I talk to some of my friends who are in irrigation as well about nozzling for matched rates. They look at me cross eyed when I tell them you are not supposed to put 3 gpm nozzles in every head.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
06-21-2012, 06:50 AM
That means they never got training, and are morons......NOT PROFESSIONALS!

I wish here u had yo get a license and take a test for irrigation,i think it is coming.....there is a program certification but not state sanctioned, just kc area thing
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
06-21-2012, 07:37 AM
That means they never got training, and are morons......NOT PROFESSIONALS!

I wish here u had yo get a license and take a test for irrigation,i think it is coming.....there is a program certification but not state sanctioned, just kc area thing

Then most people in this industry are morons.

DanaMac
06-21-2012, 08:43 AM
It's funny/sad when I talk to some of my friends who are in irrigation as well about nozzling for matched rates. They look at me cross eyed when I tell them you are not supposed to put 3 gpm nozzles in every head.
Posted via Mobile Device

TomTom texted be the other day, as he was going to a job where another company had replaced all the heads. Now all the heads were "spraying everywhere". When he got there, all the PGPs were #9 nozzles :dizzy::dizzy:
Not sure why the other company wasn't going back.

irrig8r
06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
If the PGP guts don't fit the Orbits, retro them with RB 5000 w/MPR nozzles if you've got different arcs on the same zone.

The Rain Bird heads would have been my first choice if this was an install.

Since it's a retrofit on a budget, I'll see if I can swap out the guts on any that leak around the wiper seal.

Did a test late yesterday and the red nozzles are a perfect fit. I also have some of the blues though. Not sure if they'll give better coverage or not. I'll look at the charts.

Fortunately, only about a dozen heads need attention. The rest should respond to some tweaks of the radius adjustment screw. They seem to be throttled down too much.

The big plus is today should be 15 to 20 degrees cooler than yesterday, back down in the mid 70s.

Kiril
06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
The big plus is today should be 15 to 20 degrees cooler than yesterday, back down in the mid 70s.

Screw you bay boy. ;)

grassman177
06-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Yes sir!Then most people in this industry are morons.
Posted via Mobile Device

irritation
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Know your clients, you can be a moron or anal in the same day.

Mdirrigation
06-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I had a brand new orbit and a brand new hunter pgp about 10 years ago , when I looked they both had the exact same patent number on the bottom . They were the same head , same adjustment key .

Mike Leary
06-21-2012, 08:53 PM
I had a brand new orbit and a brand new hunter pgp about 10 years ago , when I looked they both had the exact same patent number on the bottom . They were the same head , same adjustment key .

So, is it possible to just change-out the guts and enter a PGP?

DanaMac
06-21-2012, 08:57 PM

I believe so. I'm pretty sure I have done it.
They can show that the patent # is the same, but I see a much higher failure rate on the Orbit than the PGP, with less overall number of the Orbits in place. That must be using inferior plastics and other materials.
Orbit and Toro are both 4 letter words in my opinion.

irrig8r
06-21-2012, 09:35 PM

Yes it is!

greenmonster304
06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
I have found that the green top on the orbits keeps dirt out better than the PGP.
Posted via Mobile Device

irrig8r
06-21-2012, 10:29 PM
I have found that the green top on the orbits keeps dirt out better than the PGP.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, but it's really all about the nozzle selection...

greenmonster304
06-22-2012, 06:12 AM
Yeah, but it's really all about the nozzle selection...

I just thought it was interesting that orbit did a better job of keeping the dirt out than hunter. That was one of the things that made me stop using pgps. One year after install I cent adjust because the screw was full of sand
Posted via Mobile Device