PDA

View Full Version : Quick question. Drawing included

whiffyspark
06-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm looking to see if I can find a central hub port that would allow me to run two wires back to the transformer. I am putting 10 lights on each side of the driveway and 10 across the front of the house. I was hoping to find a "junction box" to tie the 10 on each side into two wires.

I understand acceptable wiring methods:hubs, t type, not so much daisy chaining etc. But i'm really just looking for a more professional solution.

My Vista Rep said Unique had one item similar to what I'm looking for, any help guys? I included a drawing.. Red dots are lights yellow is the transformer. Anyway I do this it's a lot of work :cool2:

Thanks! :drinkup:

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/mike0599/harrisonlight.jpg

whiffyspark
06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/Satellite_hub.htm

That is the closet i've found to what i'm looking for

Lite4
06-20-2012, 08:01 PM
are you planning on using LED's? what guage of wire are you running? 10g or 8g? 20 lights for 2 wires is not going to be good for this application unless you are going LED or if you are running an 8 to a central point then splitting off equal lenghts of 12/2 to 2 or 3 hubs on each side and basically distributing the power.

Classic Lighting
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm looking to see if I can find a central hub port that would allow me to run two wires back to the transformer. I am putting 10 lights on each side of the driveway and 10 across the front of the house. I was hoping to find a "junction box" to tie the 10 on each side into two wires.

According to your post, I'd guess that you are describing halogen along the driveway. I'd highly recommend LED. Minimal wire material would be required.
The hub box is no different than a irrigation valve box. Many companies make these boxes and they all do the same thing.

whiffyspark
06-20-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm using LED. 3003 for the trees 3006 for the home.

Would I be able to tie the lights into one strand on each side?

Classic Lighting
06-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Yes, one line daisey-chained on each side of the drive. Is there a sleeve in place to reach the right side of the drive?

whiffyspark
06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
No, I'm going to have to sleeve under the driveway, than under the sidewalk twice.

Daisy chain'd is acceptable?

Classic Lighting
06-20-2012, 11:13 PM
No, I'm going to have to sleeve under the driveway, than under the sidewalk twice.

Daisy chain'd is acceptable?

Yes, very acceptable with LED.

Here's a great tool to figure voltage drop with LED. I'd recommend using it until you get comfortable.
http://www.cast-lighting.com/learning/articles/4_article_cast-voltage-calculator-daisy-chain

Gr1ffin
06-21-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm looking to see if I can find a central hub port that would allow me to run two wires back to the transformer.

Thanks! :drinkup:

If you need a hub we carry these:
http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/Zone-Control-junction-box-for-landscape-lights-p/9hub.htm
http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/v/vspfiles/photos/9HUB-3S.jpg

However if you are doing LED it maybe easier to daisy chain. VOLT fixtures come with 25' lead wire so hubs are very fast to install (just one connection for each zone), but if you use another manu with short lead wire I would daisy chain.

whiffyspark
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
I am using vista LEDs.

I saw those, similar to the Spyder system from cast. But that still doesn't help me.

I guess what I'm looking for doesn't exist. I was picking something like a distribution block for the car audio world. To me that would help with equal voltage being led or halogen
Posted via Mobile Device

emby
06-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Just a suggestion: From the picture that you have shown it looks like a large distance from the transformer at the house to the fixtures along the driveway. Would it not make sense to run 120v out to the middle of your proposed lighting scene and install a below grade transformer?
With the transformer located there it would allow you to expand on your lighting scene. It looks as though there are nice groups of trees at the driveway entrance that would make a grand entrance onto the property.
Just a thought for you....

Ken

whiffyspark
06-28-2012, 11:42 AM
It's possible, but I'm not to keen on inground transformers. I guess a hub like I'm looking for doesn't exist?
Posted via Mobile Device

LLC RI
06-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Whiffy,

Instead of an inground transformer, check out ... SEBCO... they are in Calif. .and make a great rock transformer in 300 w or 600 w. I have used them many times and have had excellent results. They blend in nicely within a planting bed.. or at the base of one of those trees even...You can plug them in or hard wire them to the 110 volts via an in ground electrical vault ( like a valve box but tamperproof)...

I think they are in San Diego and you want to talk to Sam Jr... I think they are going on vacation next week so might want to call tomorrow ... check website at sebcoindustries.com

George

lirjc1
06-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Your question was answered already, it's perfectly acceptable to daisy chain LEDs. LED bulbs can have an acceptable voltage range from 8 to 18. Do a little math, im assuming your using some kind of multi tap transformer. Figure out your wire size and your tap..

whiffyspark
06-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Im aware of that. I've figured it all out already. I was just still interested in finding a hub for other projects
Posted via Mobile Device