PDA

View Full Version : Fall Clean-ups in the wind?

outrunjason
01-01-2003, 10:49 PM
It is going to be very windy here tomorrow. 15 - 30 mph. I am just a one man crew and I have a 2 acre property to finish up tomorrow.

I am wanting to know if wind is a factor when you do leaf clean-ups. I know it can be done but trying to blow all the leaves out of beds and get them where you want might be hard to do and bag.

Do you wait for a better day?

Thanks, Jason

PR0 TURF
01-01-2003, 10:52 PM
If your just a one man operation and you don't have to worry about keeping a crew busy for the day then by all means wait till another day...with 30mph winds you'll just be chasing the same stuff over & over all day. By all means...if its not too much of a burden to you...skip the windy day...2 acres too...thats alotta chasing to be doing for one guy!

Tvov
01-01-2003, 10:55 PM
It depends on the wind, the layout of the property, how badly the job needs to be done, etc. We have done leaf cleanups under remarkably windy conditions, but also have switched work schedules mid-day when the wind was just too strong.

So, do the best you can!

brucec32
01-01-2003, 11:08 PM
I would wait till a calm day if you can. But that's not always possible. Better to get some equipment maintenance done, or even rest, then make it up later in the week. But I don't do a real thorough cleanup till the leaves are all down, anyway. I get the bulk of the leaves and mulch em to dust or bag em, but 15 minutes after you leave there will always be more leaves there. The neighbor's leaves will blow in, and more will be falling. On some lawns, I leave the leaves in place in the beds until there are enough to make it worthwhile to do. But every customer has different needs, so plan accordingly.

Clayton800
01-02-2003, 12:14 AM
nothing is more frustrating then chasing the same stupid leaves around all day long.. just wait till another day

:angry:

fblandscape
01-02-2003, 12:57 AM
Do what you think you can get away with. If the customer insists that you be there for whatever reason, and they don't care how long it takes... then by all means go ahead and do it. On the other hand, if they have said it can wait till you have time, and they are good customers... leave it till a nicer day. I did one place a couple years back at the TOP of a HILL... had to be one of the highest elevations in the town... needless to say... leaves were impossible even on the best of days.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-02-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Clayton800
nothing is more frustrating then chasing the same stupid leaves around all day long.. just wait till another day

:angry:
I'm with Clayton. You can go Postal chasing leaves all day. Do some other jobs that aren't affected by the wind, such as hedge trimming,gutter cleaning,mulching,etc....

Tony Harrell
01-02-2003, 05:33 AM
I did a leaf cleanup a couple of weeks ago that I got caught up in the wind. The weather service said "wind, late afternoon". I take that as 2-4 pm. We got started about 9:30 am and the wind started about 10:30 am. We chased them leaves all over that property. Leaves dumped on the curb 2-4 houses down were whipping down the street and when the wind shifted, they would blow all over the areas we had just cleaned up. I say, if the wind can blow out a candle then stay home!

rodfather
01-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Unless it's in your favor, you're better off to wait.

Trying to do leaf clean ups on a windy day can be be a real PITA.

outrunjason
01-02-2003, 10:27 AM
I am going to wait till tomorrow. It does not look that windy but I can see myself out there now fighting the invisible wind.

Thanks, Jason

SDlawndawg
01-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Probably the biggest factor for me when scheduling fall cleans is the direction and strength of the wind. Example-If it's windy and from the south, I look for an account with an area I can blow the the leaves to the north and into a clearing or woods. Sometimes its just not worth the hassle. It's hard explaining to the wife why I'm staying home that day since she doesn't have a clue how frustrating the wind can be.

Vacuum system on a mower helps a lot in windy situations.

outrunjason
01-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Vaccum brings up another question. I could start a thread on it but I'll just ask it.

I have a proline 22040 I have 2 of them. One seems to vaccum a lot more than than the other on the same rpm level. I just know this by one way. The bag flys up on one more and you can barley push the bag down. However on the other mower it just barley opens up and you can just push down on the bag and it might leave like a crease there.

When I say open up I am meaning how much air is getting in the bag causing it to rise. I have checked the opening on the mower but no luck.

Any Suggestions?

Jason

lawncare3
01-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Blow with thw wind not against it!

BTW: what is a PITA?

Tvov
01-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by lawncare3

BTW: what is a PITA?

PITA = Pain In The Arse

edward hedrick