PDA

View Full Version : Subtraction water meter

Felco #2
06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Hey folks. Looking at having a subtract meter installed. An obvious downside will be a pressure loss from having the second meter, but I am I missing anything else? Any tips or experiences, good or bad would be appreciated. My setup would be identical to the drawing. Current setup has one 60', 1" sch40 mainline supplying domestic and irrigation needs.

*I am still evaluating dynamic pressures in my zones so I will have those numbers before I decide on anything. I do know that I have between 36-40 psi in my spray zones, but I don't have the right gauge to check my rotors.

greenmonster304
06-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Wu can't they be in parallel instead of in series. Then you are only getting hit once.
Posted via Mobile Device

Felco #2
06-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Would have to pay for a new tap to the tune of $2K+. My water provider offers the subtract meter as a cheaper alternative. Just a small fee for the meter, no tap fee.

Mike Leary
06-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Out here, we call them "deduct meters" so as to avoid the sewer surcharge. It's a damn good idea, we've been pushing it for years, but most purveyors see it as an added time for them to get away from their donuts and read an extra meter. Did you have a backflow assembly originally? The new meter and associated fittings will lower your psi, but not that much. The backflow will lose you 7-10 pounds pressure, and with your stated psi, it could be tricky.

Felco #2
06-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Out here, we call them "deduct meters" so as to avoid the sewer surcharge. It's a damn good idea, we've been pushing it for years, but most purveyors see it as an added time for them to get away from their donuts and read an extra meter. Did you have a backflow assembly originally? The new meter and associated fittings will lower your psi, but not that much. The backflow will lose you 7-10 pounds pressure, and with your stated psi, it could be tricky.

Same reason here, avoiding sewer charges. Wells are being punched all over the place and the provider fears losing revenue among other things. Currently have a 1" rpz so that pressure loss is already factored in.

muddywater
06-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Here the dumbass water meters never deduct them correctly, but i guess its worth the cost even if they dont get it right everytime. Another 5/8 tap here is $600 for resi.

Waterlogged
06-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Alot of towns around here will avg. your winter months sewer charge and that is what you pay in the summer months. Others will have a separate meter that you don't pay for sewer, mostly older systems. Very few deduct meters.

DanaMac
06-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Alot of towns around here will avg. your winter months sewer charge and that is what you pay in the summer months. Others will have a separate meter that you don't pay for sewer, mostly older systems. Very few deduct meters.

Here they figure your sewer fee based on water usage during the winter, when our system are not in use.

Stuttering Stan
06-22-2012, 12:07 AM
You all are lucky. My local sewage authority ceased allowing deduct meters about 2008. When the economy tanked, they saw deduct meters as a lost source of revenue. Wells have become very popular since then for new installs.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenmonster304
06-22-2012, 06:07 AM
Not an issue here there are no sewers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-22-2012, 07:19 AM
The only place I have seen Deducts is on HVAC equipment.

Around here it is either a seperate tap ( commercial ) or averaging the winter use ( residential) too. It could be tricky if your PSI drops below 30 on the spays and it sounds like your rotors could have problems too.