PDA

View Full Version : Sabotage

avernon0112
06-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I went out to one of our properties in Raleigh today road thru and noticed that 4 buildings were starting to look a little dry. In the past we have had lots of problems with people turning off backflows. We had to remove all the handles and just keep them in the truck. So I open the controller and it is turned to the OFF position. WHAT!! So I check all the controllers in the center. I found 2 RB, 1 Hunter and a TUCOR controller turned to the off position. All were functioning last week when I was there. I know everyone has a 751 key but I would say that 80% of irritation workers here have never heard of TUCOR much less have a key. Also one of the controllers is behind a dumpster enclosure.
Last year at some of our other systems we have had 4 or 5 backflows cut off. What kind of person just rides around cutting people's systems off. Do you not have enough work to keep you busy this time of year? What do you get out of doing this? Are you hoping to sweep in and call the property manager when stuff starts browning up after a week?
This pisses me off. Have any of you had this problem?

Mike Leary
06-21-2012, 10:17 PM
This pisses me off. Have any of you had this problem?

Yes, lots. The HOA types or the Mall types think about bottom line only, so they become "experts". They are a pain, and I dropped many of them because of the constant returns to the complaints of dryness, only to find the clock had been turned off, or the BF had been dogged-down. :hammerhead:

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
06-21-2012, 11:20 PM
We have had this problem in the past too. We ended up buying a couple dozen locks that were the same as the OEM locks on the controllers and swapping them out. We ordered them all keyed the same so we had our own company lock that we could install in the controller doors and nobody else could get in. Solved the problem and it was a quick and inexpensive fix.

koster_irrigation
06-22-2012, 05:59 AM
is there another company that cuts the grass out there? it could be them..
you talked to the site manager?

avernon0112
06-22-2012, 08:15 AM
is there another company that cuts the grass out there? it could be them..
you talked to the site manager?

No, we do all the grounds maintenance on these sites and have had them for 4 years. So it isn't like someone just lost a lot of work and are pissed off at us. My Forman always checks these things every week to catch them before things brown out but he is on vacation this week. I just don't understand who would do this. What is their benefit?

Duekster
06-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Like Mike said, some times it is the manager trying to save money. Some times it is a competitor. I suppose it could be a disgruntled employee.

I had someone load up my flower beds with winter rye on a new account. I suspect the past vendor.

jvanvliet
06-22-2012, 08:21 AM
We've had redidents turn of the irrigation because they wanted to take their dog out, we had one guy turn off all the irrigation to a 32 building condo complex to "save money" because he didn't like his assesment going up, he also turned off the complex lights; have had LCO's turn them off... not to mention the "irrigation expert" that just moved in.

jvanvliet
06-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Just happened last Friday:

Peeled back the lid on the enclosure and...

Duekster
06-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Just happened last Friday:

Peeled back the lid on the enclosure and...

I would suspect kids and vandalism in that case.

agrostis
06-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I have so many vandalism story's. People will do just about anything, i am not surprised at the stupid thing's i have seen. The best irrigation vandalism story is the 8" 90* PVC intake elbow that was shot. This elbow was right next to a pumphouse. The pipe coming out of it went down into the ground about 3'. It was in the middle of summer. This pumphouse took care of 100 acre's, it was a real pain.

irrig8r
06-22-2012, 11:34 AM
You are correct that everyone has a 751 key. Might be worth swiching out the locks, although if someone is really bent on destruction, they'll find a way. Just make it harder for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
06-22-2012, 12:15 PM
One of my guys got into it with a landscape install crew for some damn reason and they did an interesting fu*k-over to us: cut all the commons at the manifolds and shoved the wires back into the King blues, so I had no clue what was going on when I showed up, pissed. Took me about an hour of scratching my head, since the system worked "yesterday". It was only luck that made me wiggle the commons in one box and had them pull out. :hammerhead: Needless to say, the rest of the job was tense.

Duekster
06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
One of my guys got into it with a landscape install crew for some damn reason and they did an interesting fu*k-over to us: cut all the commons at the manifolds and shoved the wires back into the King blues, so I had no clue what was going on when I showed up, pissed. Took me about an hour of scratching my head, since the system worked "yesterday". It was only luck that made me wiggle the commons in one box and had them pull out. :hammerhead: Needless to say, the rest of the job was tense.

Rye grass in the beds. :rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
06-22-2012, 12:26 PM
I can foresee an increase in ryegrass sales :)

Duekster
06-22-2012, 12:28 PM
I can foresee an increase in ryegrass sales :)

Pre-emergent too. Particularly on new accounts. :laugh:

Kiril
06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Rye grass in the beds. :rolleyes:

Bermuda or bind weed would be even better. :laugh:

Mike Leary
06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Bermuda or bind weed would be even better. :laugh:

Up here we have "Horsetail" :clapping:

irrig8r
06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
I have to say, I never acted on it, nor would I condone it :nono: but a friend of mine suggested a drive-by with Roundup in water balloons for a client that didn't pay where the amount wasn't enough to bother taking him to court.

It's a satisfying fantasy scenario though.

Duekster
06-22-2012, 01:08 PM
I have to say, I never acted on it, nor would I condone it, but a friend of mine suggested

Me neither but I have been the victim of it.

Wait, there was one time.

I was in the water treatment industry. I was on a roof and installed my chemical feed system for the cooling tower. It was so hot, I just about died up there on the roof. Red Ozone day and all. I went back a week later to start up the equipment. I found my equipment ripped off the wall and the PVC water sample loop broken.

In it's place was a control box for an energy management system. I placed my equipment over in a new location, it would have worked for the control box too.

I looked in the control box and took some of the 22 ga wire and worked it back and forth about 6" from the terminal until it broke. I do not feel bad for it as the guy earned it.

For the most part I live and let live but have been known to get caught up in the moment.

Kiril
06-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Me neither but I have been the victim of it.

Wait, there was one time.

I was in the water treatment industry. I was on a roof and installed my chemical feed system for the cooling tower. It was so hot, I just about died up there on the roof. Red Ozone day and all. I went back a week later to start up the equipment. I found my equipment ripped off the wall and the PVC water sample loop broken.

In it's place was a control box for an energy management system. I placed my equipment over in a new location, it would have worked for the control box too.

I looked in the control box and took some of the 22 ga wire and worked it back and forth about 6" from the terminal until it broke. I do not feel bad for it as the guy earned it.

For the most part I live and let live but have been known to get caught up in the moment.

I would have been ripping someone a new ass and then charged them 3 times normal rate to replace what they had ripped out. Having to do things twice really pisses me off. :mad:

DanaMac
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Best piece of Sabotage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE) I've ever seen.
RIP Adam

Duekster
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I would have been ripping someone a new ass and then charged them 3 times normal rate to replace what they had ripped out. Having to do things twice really pisses me off. :mad:

I wonder how long it took him to find the wire broken under the insulation.

Construction jobs are a pain sometimes.

I was setting a new pad for an Irrigation controller. I guess they had buried the SS Stand when they build the retaining wall for the adjacent property. The controller was only about 8" above grade.

We cleared out the area, set some conduit, pulled the wire, poured the pad.
Over night someone took the common and shoved it and only in all the way down in the wet concrete I pulled a new common but it was clear someone with some knowledge was messing with me on that job.

A few weeks later I was fired off the job. The manager was mad as a hornet, all he would say is I lied to him about something. He would not say what so I have no idea what he was told. Only had that account for a few months ( landscape) and never did get a chance to fully upgrade the system to a Maxicom and trouble shoot all the problems it had developed over the years prior.

The orginal contractor got it back. :dizzy:

avernon0112
06-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I have never understood that! The contractor before screws stuff up and then they hire them to fix their own screw ups. The city paid to have bio retention beds installed in a shopping center we maintain. The guys knew what they were doing to a point but when it all is not done right then there is failure. The city hired them to replace plants, regrade some of the beds and fix ther things that should have been done the first time. If they didn't fix it the first time what makes people believe it will be right the second time?

Mike Leary
06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
You are correct that everyone has a 751 key.

I just checked my old key chain: CH751, HL238, and, the most common, BT01.
Those three opened every clock I ever serviced.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
06-22-2012, 05:17 PM
I have to say, I never acted on it, nor would I condone it :nono: but a friend of mine suggested a drive-by with Roundup in water balloons for a client that didn't pay where the amount wasn't enough to bother taking him to court.

It's a satisfying fantasy scenario though.

nah..... you don't use water ballons. you freeze the round up on small disposable plastic plates and make really thin frozen discs. You throw them out in the middle of the night and when they melt the turf ends up with a bunch of perfectly round dead spots. You just have to make sure that you mix the roundup at about 4 oz per gallon of water so that it will freeze. Straight round up will not freeze easily. It works awesome.... um... from what I'm told. :)

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
06-22-2012, 05:19 PM
... a fist full of bermuda grass seed in an annual color bed would work wonders as well. The seeds are so tiny and dark colored that nobody would ever see them. Ryegrass seed would be to obvious!

jvanvliet
06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Couple of handfulls of rock salt will have them wondering

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Previous employee?

Duekster
06-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Previous employee?

I have wanted to throw some previous employees in the rose bed. :laugh: