PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty getting annuals to grow

rhittle
06-22-2012, 09:49 AM
We plant thousands of annual flowers but I have one small site that the flowers are just not growing. They came from the same vendors as our other flowers. They have had good bedprep with all the amentities as the others. They are getting watered as much as our other sites. We have added extra slow release fertilizer with no luck. I was wondering if there is a quick release fertilizer that might help. My wife has had flower crews for 15 years but never ran into this problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Duekster
06-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I am a little confused. You have planted thousands of flowers and this batch is from that same thousand? Of you have planted thousands over time and now have a single batch not growing?

Sometimes growers will use hormones on annuals to make them small and tight but they never release. Some times they are just diseased. I have gone to the the green house and seen culls they will not sell for some reason or another.

So if it is a small sample of a large batch then look at the soil. If the soil have performed in the past, if could be the flowers. You may also want to just rebuild the soil with some compost. Soil does get tired when rotating out annuals.

rhittle
06-22-2012, 10:10 AM
We plant thousands each year. Not all of the flowers are the same but they come from the same vendor and this would be very small sample from a large batch. The bedprep and amenities were the same as the other sites. They look healthy they just haven't gotten bigger.

Duekster
06-22-2012, 10:12 AM
We plant thousands each year. Not all of the flowers are the same but they come from the same vendor and this would be very small sample from a large batch. The bedprep and amenities were the same as the other sites. They look healthy they just haven't gotten bigger.

Likely an over dose of a PGR at the nursery. Had a problem like that one year with Begonias. They never did release.

rhittle
06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
What does PGR stand for?

Duekster
06-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Plant Growth Regulator, Growers will use it so they do not get excessive top growth but at the same time get a nice tight looking plant. If they over do it the plants stay small even after transplanting.

rhittle
06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Is there a solution for this other than replanting new flowers?

Duekster
06-22-2012, 10:30 AM
I have not researched one so I hazard to guess that Gibberellic acid or growth stimulator's would over come it.

Another reason growers add the PGR's to inhibit top growth is they have a nice tight plant that will fit in to the shipping / transport racks. Some times they just over do it.

The plants could release at any time but my Begonia never did, they seem to be sensitive because it was a pretty wide spread and common problem that year.

rhittle
06-22-2012, 10:32 AM
I have not researched one so I hazard to guess that Gibberellic acid or growth stimulator's would over come it.

Another reason growers add the PGR's to inhibit top growth is they have a nice tight plant that will fit in to the shipping / transport racks. Some times they just over do it.

The plants could release at any time but my Begonia never did, they seem to be sensitive because it was a pretty wide spread and common problem that year.

Thank you so much. This gives me some place to start and at least something to tell the customer.

Duekster
06-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Thank you so much. This gives me some place to start and at least something to tell the customer.

What type of Annuals? Would they respond to dead heading?

rhittle
06-22-2012, 10:37 AM
They are begonias

Duekster
06-22-2012, 10:40 AM
They are begonias

There ya go. I would replant if the client is not happy and talk the the vendor.

rhittle
06-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks very much!!

macgyver_GA
06-22-2012, 11:14 AM
I have a couple of my begonias I planted in my own yard this year that haven't released either. It looks odd because it's only two plants out of two flats worth that haven't popped yet. The rest are thriving like crazy.

Duekster
06-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Here is a good over view of their use.

I do not think I would even want to attempt this as it is for growers and nothing applies to landscapers. It is just nice to kind of understand what the growers might be doing.

I would say however it the plants have not released, the grower is responsible. Likely you will just have to suck up the labor cost however.

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-102/430-102_pdf.pdf

BTW, I do not plant Begonia's as a result of what happened to me a few years ago. I might in the future but have looked to other plants.

g&MWorkslandscape
06-22-2012, 01:15 PM
How much do you charge for your annuals per flat to your customers? I am wondering if I am charging to little. I bought my annuals for around 12.99 a flat and charged $30? Is that correct?

Duekster
06-22-2012, 01:22 PM
How much do you charge for your annuals per flat to your customers? I am wondering if I am charging to little. I bought my annuals for around 12.99 a flat and charged $30? Is that correct?

I buy mine for less than that. There are plenty of places that sell them for $12.99 or more as distributors Land value and location has a lot to do with it.

I get mine for 8 to 9 depending on the plant and install for $20 if I maintain the property already. If you are buying a truck load delivered you could likely get them even lower from a true grower

That is cheap for sure but as I said, I maintain the place already. I think 30 would be fair to most people.