PDA

View Full Version : My state is on FIRE!!!!

DanaMac
06-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Colorado is blowing up right now with fires. Most recent one started today here in Colorado Springs. No snow this winter, minimal rain to this point, high winds all spring long, record high temps - hit a record 100 today, and 3 days earlier this week with record highs. It is so dry out that I am afraid to fart outside.

Waldo Canyon Fire (http://www.gazette.com/articles/blaze-140753-fire-side.html) - this is the one here in CS that started today. About 25 miles from my place, in a popular hiking canyon.
Estes Park Fire (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20924636/estes-park-fire-burns-structure-spreads-into-grass) = started today, but is contained
High Park Fire (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20924347/colorado-wildfire-new-pre-evacuation-order-high-park) - over 75,000 acres and 250+ homes so far. Little containment.
Springer Fire (http://www.gazette.com/articles/fire-140602-wednesday-fires.html) - outside Colo Springs, by 11 Mile Reservoir. 1300+ acres.

And there are more smaller ones around the state. No rain in site, more record temps the next 3-5 days. Not looking good, it's only mid June.

Wet_Boots
06-23-2012, 10:10 PM
when can you expect any summer rains?

Mike Leary
06-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Yikes! We've been following those fires. Were they all lightning-caused?

Waterlogged
06-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Our prayers are with you DanaMac. Hope the wind blows the right direction

easy-lift guy
06-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Take care out there. We have our share of wild fires every year and most are started by controled fires started to only get out of control. Lighting and arson make up the rest of the fires every year here in Florida.
easy-lift guy

DanaMac
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
when can you expect any summer rains?

Hopefully soon. We tend to get our "monsoon season" starting July. But it can be very isolated, just like the bad hail storm we had two weeks ago. Large dump in one part of town, not a drop in another.

Yikes! We've been following those fires. Were they all lightning-caused?

The Springer Fire was POSSIBLY caused by a target shooter, and report is that he shot a propane tank. And since then, there have been about 10 small fires in that area caused by an arsonist. The Waldo Canyon Fire MAY be from the same deal, arson related. High Park fire was lightning.

1idejim
06-23-2012, 10:41 PM
first you have ice, hail and flooding. now this? is there anything that you can do to help anyone dana? balloon spotters or lifts? never know.

stay safe dude

DanaMac
06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
If the fire blows up tonight, I may suspend work this week, and have me and my guys volunteer as need be. Helping the fire crews at the command center - water, food, massaging the womens :) But I know there will be a lot of people volunteering.

Mike Leary
06-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Can you see the fires where you are, and is the wind blowing the fires towards the west, or?

DanaMac
06-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Can you see the fires where you are, and is the wind blowing the fires towards the west, or?

From my house, no. I am nestled in a little valley. But it can be seen as soon as I am out of the neighborhood. At least the smoke plume. Fire may come over the ridge tonight. Hopefully the winds die down. This photos was from 4:00 pm today when I went into town. Moving north, towards the Air Force Academy, and some residential areas.

I'm heading out at 2:00 AM to hike another 14er, Mt Quandary. A little hesitant to go right now.

DanaMac
06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
According to Wunderground, we have had 2.59" of precip in 2012. Average to date is 7.08". This is worse than '02 when we had the huge Hayman fire. Average temp for today is 82, today it hit 100. I believe we have hit over 100 only a handful of times in recorded history.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCOS/2012/6/23/DailyHistory.html

And my customers are wondering WHY their grass is dry :dizzy: Oh, I can make it green. And their wallet will carry a lot less green.

1idejim
06-23-2012, 11:30 PM
From my house, no. I am nestled in a little valley. But it can be seen as soon as I am out of the neighborhood. At least the smoke plume. Fire may come over the ridge tonight. Hopefully the winds die down. This photos was from 4:00 pm today when I went into town. Moving north, towards the Air Force Academy, and some residential areas.

I'm heading out at 2:00 AM to hike another 14er, Mt Quandary. A little hesitant to go right now.

have a good trip

If the fire blows up tonight, I may suspend work this week, and have me and my guys volunteer as need be. Helping the fire crews at the command center - water, food, massaging the womens :) But I know there will be a lot of people volunteering.

good for you

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-23-2012, 11:34 PM
My sisters house that you might remember from my butchered manifold is in the middle of that high park fire. It will be another month before they are even allowed to see if it's still standing.

Outdoors_Unlimited
06-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Seeing as this is posted by the sprinkler guys, what do you guys think about systems designed to protect buildings.

We just had a fire near our cabin in the UP of Michigan.

I have read before of companies that specialize in forest fire protection, and part of their packages was a sprinkler system of sorts, that wets the roof of the building, and a distance around the structure.

I am thinking of designing one for my cabin. I am thinking of finding a impact type sprinkler that is made of brass on all 4 corners of the cabin, with one in the center.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
06-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Seeing as this is posted by the sprinkler guys, what do you guys think about systems designed to protect buildings.

We just had a fire near our cabin in the UP of Michigan.

I have read before of companies that specialize in forest fire protection, and part of their packages was a sprinkler system of sorts, that wets the roof of the building, and a distance around the structure.

I am thinking of designing one for my cabin. I am thinking of finding a impact type sprinkler that is made of brass on all 4 corners of the cabin, with one in the center.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://roofsaversprinklers.com/

http://www.onestopfire.com/

Wet_Boots
06-24-2012, 06:51 AM
the nice folks at Rain Jet made a roof sprinkler - it looked like any other of the brass heads they made, but it delivered a full-circle pattern in a flat spray

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-24-2012, 08:51 AM
My sister in Bozeman has fire protected her house. Remove all trees within 40 yards and establish an irrigated turf around it as well. No irrigation for the roof though. I doubt roof top irrigation would have done much good for my sister in the high park fire. Once power got cut off then nothing was going to run the pump. The trees came right up to her house and it was an intense fire as well. They used a metal roof and adobe exterior walls. It will be interesting to see what survived.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
06-24-2012, 09:27 AM
I remember living in a California house that had wood roof shingles - great material choice

1idejim
06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
I remember living in a California house that had wood roof shingles - great material choice

in the great state of jefferson or in that other part with all the people?

1idejim
06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
My sister in Bozeman has fire protected her house. Remove all trees within 40 yards and establish an irrigated turf around it as well. No irrigation for the roof though. I doubt roof top irrigation would have done much good for my sister in the high park fire. Once power got cut off then nothing was going to run the pump. The trees came right up to her house and it was an intense fire as well. They used a metal roof and adobe exterior walls. It will be interesting to see what survived.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.onestopfire.com/

where these come in pete. either a cas powered pump or a generator to power the well for fire only. generators for fire are test started monthly. :)

hoskm01
06-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Ma, Pa, Gma all got mandatory evacuations from the cabin in Green Mountain Falls this morning. At my Aunt and Uncle's in Woodland Park, they are on "precautionary pre-evacuation notification."

This is just up the pass from Dana and Colorado Springs. Ugly there, ugly everywhere. Such is the cycle, I suppose.

Map of the area:

bcg
06-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Texas knows what you're going through. It wasn't that long ago that we were experiencing the same thing. Thoughts and prayers for you guys and, hopefully some rain.

DanaMac
06-25-2012, 08:59 AM
The area of the fire is heavily forested with lots of lodgepole pines. Not so much with this fire, but many of the eleven fires around the state are fueled by dead trees from the beetles that have devastated our forests.

3600 acres so far, 0% containment. More record highs the next 4 days, no chance of rain. Not trying to be a downer, just passing along the dreary news.

Duekster
06-25-2012, 09:17 AM
The area of the fire is heavily forested with lots of lodgepole pines. Not so much with this fire, but many of the eleven fires around the state are fueled by dead trees from the beetles that have devastated our forests.

3600 acres so far, 0% containment. More record highs the next 4 days, no chance of rain. Not trying to be a downer, just passing along the dreary news.

The upside is that should clear it out for some new growth.

Stay safe.

DanaMac
06-25-2012, 09:26 AM
As much as we all understand that, it is really hard to accept that as good news. Controlled prescribed burns really are necessary. I guess it's just Colorado's turn. Utah has the same conditions and could start burning as well.

Duekster
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
As much as we all understand that, it is really hard to accept that as good news. Controlled prescribed burns really are necessary. I guess it's just Colorado's turn. Utah has the same conditions and could start burning as well.

There is also the argument for selective and managed clear cutting because the fires will get it if we don't. I know that is of little consequence now. Stay safe.

Tom Tom
06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202018096962390235287.0004c32ef50e09e541122&msa=0

another link to fire/evacuation area

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Here are some photos from different folks in the area. The fire gives photographers a unique subject to cover.
http://www.gazette.com/sections/slideshow/?id=14898170

Current - 4500 acres, 5% containment, one more day of record heat, close to 5000 people evacuated, major artery HWY 24 closed to Woodland Park. Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods and other local parks closed. No fireworks at all, illegal to even have them in possession.

Stuttering Stan
06-26-2012, 10:22 AM
That looks like a real mess due to the location and heat. This fire is at the mercy of Mother Nature. I don't think firefighters can contain it without some cool temps and rain.

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 10:45 AM
That looks like a real mess due to the location and heat. This fire is at the mercy of Mother Nature. I don't think firefighters can contain it without some cool temps and rain.

Agreed. And neither are in sight. Slight cooling after today, but still low 90s. SLIGHT chance for rainstorms today, which actually means no rain, but we will see lightning which could spark another fire.

We've had to cancel a few appointments in the evac zones. Hope they are ok.
Went to CostCo yesterday and bought 15 large boxes of granola bars and protein bars to donate, plus a check to help out. Brave people out there right now.

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Sorry about me updating this a couple times a day. It's just making me nervous for all the friends and customers I have in the evacuation areas, or that are threatened by the fires. Working on sprinklers is not a priority for me right now. Hoping that everybody is ok.
Since I live in a forest as well, that is primed for a big blaze, I am taking steps tonight in case a fire breaks out here as well. Going to put certain items together in plastic totes, that we can take real quick if a blaze starts up. My GF and dogs are the first concern though. Everything else is just stuff.
This fire really isn't a threat to my place, but one could easily start up in the neighborhood.

Mike Leary
06-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Sorry about me updating this a couple times a day. It's just making me nervous for all the friends and customers I have in the evacuation areas, or that are threatened by the fires. Working on sprinklers is not a priority for me right now. Hoping that everybody is ok.
Since I live in a forest as well, that is primed for a big blaze, I am taking steps tonight in case a fire breaks out here as well. Going to put certain items together in plastic totes, that we can take real quick if a blaze starts up. My GF and dogs are the first concern though. Everything else is just stuff.
This fire really isn't a threat to my place, but one could easily start up in the neighborhood.

Don't be sorry, keep us updated. That's nasty business down there. I had heard of one of the fires that was still out of control; which was that?

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 05:25 PM
I had heard of one of the fires that was still out of control; which was that?

The one here in town. 5500+ acres, threatening Garden of the Gods, thousands of homes, major forest lands. 5% contained, 500+ firefighters, copters and C-130s are dropping ret@rdant and slurry all day long. (sorry - LS edits ret@rd)
Mike - check out some of the photos http://www.gazette.com/sections/slideshow/?id=14898170

Mike Leary
06-26-2012, 06:54 PM
The one here in town. 5500+ acres, threatening Garden of the Gods, thousands of homes, major forest lands. 5% contained, 500+ firefighters, copters and C-130s are dropping ret@rdant and slurry all day long. (sorry - LS edits ret@rd)
Mike - check out some of the photos http://www.gazette.com/sections/slideshow/?id=14898170

I wonder where those big mothering 757 and 747 tankers are? Or is the terrain too risky?

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 07:12 PM
The c130s are huge muthas dumping slurry.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Looks like it may have just blown up. 7000 more people evacuated. I am suspending all work for the week, just changed the voice message. going to try and help support the folks out there. Looking up customers to call that may need help. Sunovabitch!!!

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Winds have shifted, north Colorado Springs looks like the effing apocalypse just hit due to the smoke. Boulder has a new fire as well. Too much smoke to see what is happening anywhere.

1idejim
06-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Winds have shifted, north Colorado Springs looks like the effing apocalypse just hit due to the smoke. Boulder has a new fire as well. Too much smoke to see what is happening anywhere.

listen live http://www.krdo.com/-/417342/15231230/-/rq5hhfz/-/index.html i wish you and everyone else the best of luck

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 09:14 PM
listen live http://www.krdo.com/-/417342/15231230/-/rq5hhfz/-/index.html i wish you and everyone else the best of luck

Thanks Jim.
Just heard it was the hottest day EVER recorded in C Springs. Reports of structure fires, but unconfirmed. Fricking absolute rapid change and advance with the fire. Smoke is awful here at the house. May take the dogs to be boarded somewhere. Embers flowing across town.
Not my photo - but a view of what you can see.

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Good video of the air assault.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20940351/colorado-wildfire-waldo-canyon-fire-near-colorado-springs

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 09:37 PM
From my friends backyard. Reports of house/structure fires in that area.

Stuttering Stan
06-26-2012, 11:30 PM
So the winds have shifted north toward the Air Force Academy? Sounds like it is getting worse according to the news article. How close is it to Monument?

DanaMac
06-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Currently, as the crow flies, I am probably 10-12 miles from the north edge. I do have I-25 as a fire break. But that is not a fool proof break either. Effing devastating right now. The winds keep shifting, homes are burning, many of which I have worked on. Many folks that I have known for 10-15 years.

1idejim
06-27-2012, 12:20 AM
From the link you sent me i heard the fire fiters were turning the lawn sprinklers on to protect the homes. lets hope the supply and pressure can keep up with the demand.

those on wells are sol though.

i told billy about the fire and your predecument and asked if he wanted me to pass on his best and he said YES.

same for TOM TOM
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
06-27-2012, 12:47 AM
From the link you sent me i heard the fire fiters were turning the lawn sprinklers on to protect the homes. lets hope the supply and pressure can keep up with the demand.

those on wells are sol though.

i told billy about the fire and your predecument and asked if he wanted me to pass on his best and he said YES.

same for TOM TOM
Posted via Mobile Device

Not many wells, if any over there.
Thanks for your thoughts, and Billy too.
Nobody is giving totals for structures gone, but I would assume at least 100 so far, just knowing the area and seeing the photos.

Wet_Boots
06-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Here's hoping for some rain, and soon!

6t9u4eF4ruU

DanaMac
06-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Here's hoping for some rain, and soon!

Now the problem is, even though we need the rain, there is no vegetation in the burn area. Flash floods are next. Possibility of tomorrow.
And if the storms are coming in tomorrow, the winds will be erratic as well.

DanaMac
06-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Barely slept, sun is just starting to come up. I'm expecting 200+ homes to be gone. The historic Flying W Ranch is gone, burned to the ground. High school friend has been the manager there for years. Winds changed direction in a blink of an eye (sorry Jim :) at 65 mph during a big news/press conference by the city and fire heads of staff. Nothing anyone could do but evac, and run.

This isn't over either, more hot dry windy days in the forecast. Hot embers can spark up my place very quick. Hoping to volunteer at Care and Share food bank today http://careandshare.org/ if anyone wants to donate. My company has been donating and supporting them for about 7 years. Great organization.

My hat is off to all the firefighters and all the support people - police, military, news media, volunteers, everybody.

Duekster
06-27-2012, 09:47 AM
I was going to say, I bet you are not getting much sleep.

I am so sorry for everyones loss. It does seem rain and mudsides often follow fires.

I hope your truck is full of fuel and all your things are in order.

Take photos and inventory of what you can not take with you.

Stay safe

Mike Leary
06-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Where would you go should a evacuation occur? :cry:

DanaMac
06-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Where would you go should a evacuation occur? :cry:

Not sure yet, but many options. Have a few important belongings packed and in the truck. Took some down to my shop. Left contact info with a few places to volunteer, but they are overwhelmed right now. I'm going to hit up walmart for some more supplies, and go to an evac center at the high school. Drop off food and drink for them, and see if they need help.
Had to come back home to put the dogs inside due to too much smoke.
the fire may erupt again here early afternoon. I'm not too worried about this fire coming to my place, but I worry about one spark or one ember that will start a new one up here. I don't want to be too far from the house, so I can rescue the dogs.

Evacuation map via www.gazette.com
I labeled where I live.

DanaMac
06-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Hey Boots - there are still homes here with the wood shingle roofs. Many in the Rockrimmon area. I think I'll go cut back some scrub oak near the house. Doubt it would help with 40-60 mph winds. But it may make me feel better.

Duekster
06-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Hey Boots - there are still homes here with the wood shingle roofs. Many in the Rockrimmon area. I think I'll go cut back some scrub oak near the house. Doubt it would help with 40-60 mph winds. But it may make me feel better.

Never hurts to cut back the underbrush around the home. Start watering around you too provided you are not using water that is needed by fire fighters.

For that matter, I would likely set up at least 5 gallons of drinking water in the truck too.

Wet_Boots
06-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Hey Boots - there are still homes here with the wood shingle roofs. Many in the Rockrimmon area. I think I'll go cut back some scrub oak near the house. Doubt it would help with 40-60 mph winds. But it may make me feel better.Oi vey! :(

Mike Leary
06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
I believe code now calls for fire-resistant shingles/shakes.

Mark Oomkes
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
I believe code now calls for fire-resistant shingles/shakes.

What a concept.

Good luck out there Dana.

Read the story about the USAF or ANG C130's not being able to help until all private contractors were called up.

I understand the point, but how freaking stupid. They're on top of the fire and have to wait? Did they really think it was going to go out in the time the private contractors got there?

Stupid bureaucrats.

irritation
06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Stupid bureaucrats.

Yea, it's a freakin desert in Central Indiana. They should have started watering restrictions 3 weeks ago but still haven't and to top it off I guess it's against the law to ban fireworks. :dizzy:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120626/NEWS/120626026/State-law-puts-counties-quandary-fireworks-restrictions

1idejim
06-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Any good news dana?
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
06-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Any good news dana?
Posted via Mobile Device

Not really, except no lives lost, that we know of. New report says possibly 300 homes are gone. Some of the videos and photos I have seen, I recognize homes that we work on, people we have known for years. I feel helpless.

Video from a resident as they flee the area.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20957092/tens-thousands-remain-homeless-wake-waldo-canyon-fire

Wet_Boots
06-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Hang tough, dude.

DanaMac
06-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Interactive map of where the fire has burned. Look up to the north east a few miles and find Fox Run Regional Park. That is where I am. Safe from this fire, unless embers flare something up.
Interactive map (https://maps.google.com/?q=http://extras.denverpost.com/media/maps/kml/waldo-canyon-wildfire-20120627aa.kml&msa=0&t=p&output=embed&z=12)

Aerial photos of the neighborhoods.
Photos (http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/06/photos-aerial-images-of-the-waldo-canyon-fire-in-colorado-springs/38597/#name%20here)

Stuttering Stan
06-28-2012, 09:17 AM
This pic really tells a story of the many homes lost. You can clearly see where the firefighters were able to make a stop.

Mike Leary
06-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Interactive map of where the fire has burned. Look up to the north east a few miles and find Fox Run Regional Park. That is where I am. Safe from this fire, unless embers flare something up.
Interactive map (https://maps.google.com/?q=http://extras.denverpost.com/media/maps/kml/waldo-canyon-wildfire-20120627aa.kml&msa=0&t=p&output=embed&z=12)

Aerial photos of the neighborhoods.
Photos (http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/06/photos-aerial-images-of-the-waldo-canyon-fire-in-colorado-springs/38597/#name%20here)

Amazing pics!

DanaMac
06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Just got the first call from a customer that has a house that is now gone. We had her on the schedule for Tuesday, the day the fire erupted, to swap out to MP rotators in the front yard. We had rescheduled due to the possibility of the fire moving down the hill. And sure enough, it did. She still owed us about $70 for work a couple weeks prior, and said she was sending out a check. Oh no you're not!!! She has other problems to worry about. Our whole community is going to take it on the chin, emotionally and financially. I'll probably lose 50-75 customers, and there are others up there that owe us money as well. All those invoices are going bye bye.

Mike Leary
06-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Good for you, Dana, I'd do the same thing. I'd bet, as happens after natural disasters (Katrina comes to mind) there are thousands of out-of-work pikers and journeymen alike, that are packing up their tools and heading for "The Rock Of The Westies".

DanaMac
06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks Mike, I know you and probably everybody here would do the same.

The thing that really chaps me, are the azzholes posing as volunteers for Care and Share or the United Way, going door to door asking for donations. Unbelievable what criminals will do.

We are working a little bit today and tomorrow, to gain some normalcy to our lives. All agencies are overwhelmed with volunteers, but I am scheduled for Friday night to help feed firefighters. Some local restaurants have partnered together to feed them.

txirrigation
06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
When everything fired up in Texas last year it was hard to help. I called in to see if they needed water trucks to forward water and they said it would just get in the way.

Friend of mine owns a road building business and offered up machines and operators that would be working under his insurance (3 D8 Dozers/and maintainers) to create fire breaks (for free) and he got refused also.

Seems like they should have a list of volunteers with relevant machinery/ equipment/skills on a pre-screened list to help out.

There are some great fire fighters, but if you release a few contractors that do the same kind of work for a living and for profit you can get a lot of work done fast.

Chaps me to hear that they are not letting the Air Force planes up until the private contractors are there. Everyone else is volunteering, but they have to wait for the for-profits?

Mark Oomkes
06-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Just got the first call from a customer that has a house that is now gone. We had her on the schedule for Tuesday, the day the fire erupted, to swap out to MP rotators in the front yard. We had rescheduled due to the possibility of the fire moving down the hill. And sure enough, it did. She still owed us about $70 for work a couple weeks prior, and said she was sending out a check. Oh no you're not!!! She has other problems to worry about. Our whole community is going to take it on the chin, emotionally and financially. I'll probably lose 50-75 customers, and there are others up there that owe us money as well. All those invoices are going bye bye.

You're a great person Dana.

When everything fired up in Texas last year it was hard to help. I called in to see if they needed water trucks to forward water and they said it would just get in the way.

Friend of mine owns a road building business and offered up machines and operators that would be working under his insurance (3 D8 Dozers/and maintainers) to create fire breaks (for free) and he got refused also.

Seems like they should have a list of volunteers with relevant machinery/ equipment/skills on a pre-screened list to help out.

There are some great fire fighters, but if you release a few contractors that do the same kind of work for a living and for profit you can get a lot of work done fast.

Chaps me to hear that they are not letting the Air Force planes up until the private contractors are there. Everyone else is volunteering, but they have to wait for the for-profits?

This would be a result of either state or feds being involved, not the locals, at least it wouldn't happen by me. I'd probably be fired after the fire for insubordination, but it would be worth it. I'd tell anyone and everyone such as yourself and your friend to help in those types of situations. Details can be worked out later. RIGHT NOW is when they need help and equipment.

Regarding the AF tankers, I understand to a point. These guys spend hundreds if not millions for a relatively short season totally dependent on the weather. Obviously they have some great lobbyists. :rolleyes:

But in this case (and I'm sure many more) there are tankers ready to go within spitting distance of the fire. They knew what would happen based on the High Park fire, did they really think they weren't going to need every single available tanker, firefighter, dozer, tender, etc, etc they could get? Did they think the fire was going to go out by itself?

Not to mention they could have been dropping slurry in the same or less time than it took for the private contractors to get there. All the while houses are burning or in danger of burning.

Stupid, incompetent bureaucrats that can't think past the end of their pencils.

I need a drink or BP pill now. Thanks. :)

DanaMac
06-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Got call #2 today. Not the easiest customer to work with, but still a good person. Been a customer since August of 2002. So sad to get these calls, and see the photos online. I know all the streets and all the areas they are showing that are gone now.

1idejim
06-28-2012, 06:19 PM

in order to set foot on a fire you have to have a red card / fire card. you have to attend 8 hrs of training and most importantly know how to use a fire shelter. all equipment must have been pre-screened and issued a number before call out. there is more but that's enough to get the jist

DanaMac
06-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Before and after aerial photos of different streets in the neighborhood.
http://www.denverpost.com/wildfires/ci_20962928

Trevor Lane - we have three homes on here that we took care of.

Duekster
06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
There is still some grass to mow...

Insurance will rebuid it and you will get the landscape jobs.

I know it is still sad and scary.

Mike Leary
06-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Trevor Lane - we have three homes on here that we took care of.

As sad as it is, I'd be thinking about getting back to installs, Dana.

Tom Tom
06-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for posting those links Dana. I had not seen them.

Personally I have a couple friends I helped evacuate the area. Thankfully their homes are safe. One of them has a home within a quarter mile or so. Like Dana, I also have several customers in the affected area but, haven't heard of their situation.

No way to explain the scene as I have never been in that situation. Suffice it to say I hope it never happens again. Amazing the speed and destruction a fire can cause. It seemed like a scene out of the movie Dantes Peak. I remember as a kid seeing the
Mt Saint Helens footage which I realize was a bazillion times worse.

Amazingly that so far no deaths have been reported.

txirrigation
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
in order to set foot on a fire you have to have a red card / fire card. you have to attend 8 hrs of training and most importantly know how to use a fire shelter. all equipment must have been pre-screened and issued a number before call out. there is more but that's enough to get the jist

Yes, but that is the problem. These fire breaks can be fail safes WAYY out ahead of the fires. In TX our problem is all the red tape around clearing land in "sensitive" areas, this created a lot of underbrush that fueled the fires. The state used to provide money to clear fence lines on private property to create fire breaks. 30mil. a day could have cleared a lot of fire breaks, and helped out local contractors.

Dana- Those pics are unreal, cant help but feel for those people. Insurance will re-build but you can't get everything back. I have a friend that works at Mccoys hardware near one of the fires and he said the scum suckers came out of the wood work before the smoke cleared looking for over priced work. This could be your chance to build a solid rep by not price gauging.

1idejim
06-28-2012, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=txirrigation;4456496]Yes, but that is the problem. These fire breaks can be fail safes WAYY out ahead of the fires. In TX our problem is all the red tape around clearing land in "sensitive" areas, this created a lot of underbrush that fueled the fires. The state used to provide money to clear fence lines on private property to create fire breaks. 30mil. a day could have cleared a lot of fire breaks, and helped out local contractors.QUOTE]

this is not a regional issue, it is a national issue. why ARNG was prevented from first responder status is unimaginable. they were on top of the situation and if there were a conflict they could have rotated out as private contractors arrived on scene.

close to home BLM burned a small town down and started a major wild fire near us http://forestry.about.com/od/forestfire/ss/top_fires_na_5.htm

we are required to maintain defensible space near homes and along fences
http://www.fire.ca.gov/cdfbofdb/pdfs/4291finalguidelines2_23_06.pdf

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-28-2012, 11:34 PM
#1. Be safe...that's real scary.

#2. you make me an offer I can't refuse I'll do those installs for you...

Dirt Boy
06-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Dana,
Devastating to say the least, and I wish the best to all of you. Man, what disaster! Such a beautiful area too.
Explain to me, if and when you feel like it. But looking at the interactive map of before and after photo's; how does this happen? I mean I can see if one house starts burning, that it's likely to catch the next on fire, but in many of these photo's, it looks like there is not that much vegatation close to these areas, how does that happen to get to the homes? Even after the fire, it looks as though there are still some green trees around????
Little hard to understand, but then I've never been close to something like that, so forgive me.

DanaMac
06-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Dirt boy - 65 mile per hour winds will do that. These were primarily good, professional landscapes, with manicured lawns. But they are surrounded in the area by pinon pine, scrub oak, and native grass areas. Combined with no moisture (20% of average precip), all time record high temperature, it was a fire bomb waiting to happen. The wind changed in the blink of an eye, and everybody had to evacuate. People need to realize, we live in a high elevation desert. These things can happen, no matter how well we were prepared or how well we did fire mitigation to prevent it. Some locals are now pointing fingers, of course. Which is a shame.

346 homes lost. Now labeled as the worst fire in Colorado history. Not the largest, the worst. More homes, more money lost in homes. Very expensive to fight. 1000 brave firefighters here because of how close to the city this is. this was on the very northwest edge of town.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
06-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Worst fears happened. One person has died inside a home, and another for that home is also missing. Unfortunately there are a few others reported missing, but it's tough to account for 32,000 people.

Charles
06-29-2012, 08:53 AM

What a nightmare! Letting people slide on what they owe you is really a compassionate and great thing to do. But I hope you are taking care of yourself too. How will your business survive this disaster?
Thanks for the pics and the updates on the situation. I don't feel so bad about what is happening here. Things could be much worse

DanaMac
06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
What a nightmare! Letting people slide on what they owe you is really a compassionate and great thing to do. But I hope you are taking care of yourself too. How will your business survive this disaster?
Thanks for the pics and the updates on the situation. I don't feel so bad about what is happening here. Things could be much worse

Thanks Charles.
My business will suffer, but it will survive. Every business here will take a hit. My business will take a minimal hit compared to others. I'm not worried about us. But thanks for the concerns, from all of you.

TomTom and I have kept in good contact keeping each other informed of what we hear is going on. One of my employees was working in the evac zone that day it erupted. He got out of there about 30 minutes before the mandatory evac notice, which was good considering the chaos of the mass flood of people leaving the area. I now have 6 known people/customers with no home to go back to.

1idejim
06-29-2012, 09:53 AM
what's the status of the fire scene now dana?

DanaMac
06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Hot :)
Not raging like it was, not centered near high density homes, hot spots all over due to embers. The concern now is in the opposite direction as it workable towards the town of woodland park. Weather and winds are cooperating.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
06-29-2012, 10:37 AM
And 15% contained so far.

Duekster
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
That is a shame. They likely through the could fight it way or were too old to escape.

txirrigation
06-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Dana,
Devastating to say the least, and I wish the best to all of you. Man, what disaster! Such a beautiful area too.
Explain to me, if and when you feel like it. But looking at the interactive map of before and after photo's; how does this happen? I mean I can see if one house starts burning, that it's likely to catch the next on fire, but in many of these photo's, it looks like there is not that much vegatation close to these areas, how does that happen to get to the homes? Even after the fire, it looks as though there are still some green trees around????
Little hard to understand, but then I've never been close to something like that, so forgive me.

Fires get so hot they can create their own wind. In W. Texas they have brush fires so intense that the fireball will jump the river. They had one about a decade ago that jumped about 150yrds over a lake. This was not embers caught in the wind, the main fire stretched across.

DanaMac
06-30-2012, 11:53 AM
From the current list of homes damaged, I have 19 homes we have worked on over the years that are completely gone. 9 of them are current customers, the other 10 inactives mean we haven't been there in 3+ years. One home has visible damage, and two are not on the city's list as of yet. But they are very close to others that are gone.

30% containment, and a large portion of evacuees are able to go back home.

here is the last photo I will post. This is of the mass evacuation. This one really hit me. Sorry, I don't have the source, it was one I found on Facebook.

Mike Leary
06-30-2012, 01:13 PM
That pic says it all, Dana: Hell on earth.

Duekster
06-30-2012, 02:01 PM
http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/data/lg_fire/lg_fire_nifc_2012-06-30.png

It might be a long summer

Mike Leary
06-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Dana, I've got some work for you, check your PM.

DanaMac
06-30-2012, 02:21 PM
It might be a long summer

For sure. And it's still early. If we don't get our regular monsoon season, we are screwed. Doing some fire mitigation today at the house. Also starting the process of downloading "stuff". I have a white water kayak I'm getting rid of. Hanging from the garage ceiling for years without use. Lots of other stuff. Need to downsize and get rid of stuff and clutter.

PM sent Mike. Thnx.

1idejim
06-30-2012, 06:25 PM
For sure. And it's still early. If we don't get our regular monsoon season, we are screwed. Doing some fire mitigation today at the house. Also starting the process of downloading "stuff". I have a white water kayak I'm getting rid of. Hanging from the garage ceiling for years without use. Lots of other stuff. Need to downsize and get rid of stuff and clutter.

PM sent Mike. Thnx.

i didn't know you boated?
back in the day of long boats 11 and 12 footers i paddled 4th class. did some squirt boating also. don't even like the looks of the new boats but the young bucks are not even scouting water that we had to portage.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
06-30-2012, 06:50 PM
i didn't know you boated?
back in the day of long boats 11 and 12 footers i paddled 4th class. did some squirt boating also. don't even like the looks of the new boats but the young bucks are not even scouting water that we had to portage.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really haven't done much. I have done it less than 10 times. I bought it off a friend that moved to Hawaii, because I really wanted to get into it. But I just never did, and got into other things instead. This really is a bad year for kayaking anyway. With such minimal snowfall, and such hot year, rivers are way down. Some areas are closed for kayaks, tubing, and fishing. Water levels low, and fish are stressed. The kayak has been hanging from the ceiling in my garage for years now. Took it to a store here in town that carries our backpacks. They sell used outdoor gear - kayaks, bikes, camping gear, outdoor clothing, etc. - mainly all on consignment.

1idejim
07-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Last i heard was 30 percent containment

any good news?
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
07-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Now 45% containment.
Posted via Mobile Device

1idejim
07-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Now 45% containment.
Posted via Mobile Device

outstanding! hope the fire is contained soon
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey Pete, what's the status on your sister's place from the High Park fire?

BSME
07-02-2012, 06:25 AM
wow... Dana, I've been thinking about you and had a few minutes this morning so I decided to see if you were posting about what was going on. You didn't disappoint.

It's sad, really, how the rest of the country can go about their normal lives while this is happening. I must have zero connections to Colorado because I haven't seen a single post about the fires on facebook. I imagine your feed is a bit different...

Anyway, thanks for sharing. You put a personal touch to the 10 second news updates I hear on the radio. Your links and pics allowed me understand the scale of these fires.

Take care of yourself

Stuttering Stan
07-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Any new news on this fire?

DanaMac
07-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Any new news on this fire?

95% contained, might be 100% by today or tomorrow. Raining FINALLY at my place right now. The burn area is now susceptible to flash floods as the soils cannot take in water. Weather pattern is now changing. Looking like afternoon rain for the next 3-6 days. And cooler temps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
07-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Lets hope for a nice light steady rain.

Mike Leary
07-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Let's hope Dana pays his bill at the branch.:dizzy:

DanaMac
07-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Fire are low, raining again, minimal smoke around. Climbing Pikes Peak tomorrow!!!

Duekster
07-07-2012, 10:44 AM
:clapping:

Lets just hope it does not rain too much. I thought that some of the pines in the area do well re-seeding naturally after fire.