PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a thought on what this grass issue looks like?

libskin
06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Hello,

Looking for a bit of help diagnosing a problem with a lawn. In the picture you will streaks of lighter green grass. It's surely light grass and not sun shining through the treetops. I have no idea what these are from. This part of the lawn is over a leach field. The soil isn't the best as you would expect above a leach field. So the grass that does grow isn't very robust at all. But up until this last week it was at least always the same color of green since I've been taking care of it.

what I know:
-This lightening occurred about a week after applying a fert.
-I applied the same amount as I have applied over the last 2 years for this lawn. This lightening never happened before.
-The streak patterns is 90 degrees off from the pattern I use to drop the fert.
-The lawn is watered regularly twice per week with an inground system for about 45 minutes each time.
-The most important part: the streaked sections received no different treatment or use than any other portion of the yard...but it still turned light yellow.
-The entire section in the image below receives uniform light.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be?

See attached image.

Thanks

Patriot Services
06-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Looks like iron chlorosis. Too much P and a low PH. Sulphur and Iron app after a soil test should fix it and even out the color.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
06-24-2012, 02:26 AM
Pythium foliar blight.

Patriot Services
06-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Pythium foliar blight.

Aren't the areas a little too perfectly shaped for PFB?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
06-24-2012, 09:38 AM
What's that post in the lawn that looks like it has an electrical box on it? From the picture it looks to be the electrical box for a septic pump. If that's the case I'm thinking you may have a drip emitter system which are normally installed close to the surface (12"). You maybe seeing those streaks from either high doses of chlorine down the drain or just large amounts of water.

Do you ever see water surfacing in these areas? They may not always have a smell because some systems have aerators that help break down the grey water prior to pumping it into the drip lines.
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
06-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I have it to, you have a septic system or on city sewage?

First time I had it though becase I didn't put out fertilizer this spring and I know mine is the septic system

cgaengineer
06-24-2012, 12:09 PM
I have it to, you have a septic system or on city sewage?

First time I had it though becase I didn't put out fertilizer this spring and I know mine is the septic system

I bet $10 bucks it's septic.

My address is :

$10 Septic Guess Way
Winder, GA 30680
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
06-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Why are you betting/guessing about anything. He already stated it is a leach field.

This part of the lawn is over a leach field.

cgaengineer
06-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Why are you betting/guessing about anything. He already stated it is a leach field.

I missed that part of his message...

By the looks of it it is a non conventional system...maybe drip which uses the top 24" soil and evaportranspiration to get rid of the waste water. These systems are prone to failure if you are not careful.
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I missed that part of his message...

By the looks of it it is a non conventional system...maybe drip which uses the top 24" soil and evaportranspiration to get rid of the waste water. These systems are prone to failure if you are not careful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same here, I posted then re-read the thread.

I pretty much seen my back yard and knew right away :laugh:

However my drain lines are by the old codes not new codes which are 8 feet under instead of 6 feet. Not worried about failure and as I said I didn't fertilize this spring which is the only reason I see it.

I'd say don't worry about it as of now and with the heat I wouldn't attempt fertilizer.

Kelly's Landscaping
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Hot days take the moister out of the lawn at different rates. And when you have subterranean features like the septic or even boulders and rocks to close to the surface it can do this. I gained a lot of respect and good will from a client once who's front yard was 100% sodded and every year he had reoccurring dead spots in the same place. He asked what we did I told him sorry you got a rock close to the surface there under that sod, the guys who in stalled it did a half ass job. He shook his head in disbelief and walked inside next week there's a huge pit where that spot was and he goes you wouldn't believe the rock that was there touching the bottom of the sod. Not much you can do about it other then digging it up to find out whats wrong and that's not worth it.

libskin
06-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the replies.

As I said it's a leach field. That pipe is a vent. It's a traditional leach field with drain pipes 6 feet down. So it's definitely not a wetness issue related to the leach field or any other kind of issue related to the leach field.

I fertilized in early April and AGAIN about a week before this color mismatch became visible. So if anything it's an excess fertilizer issue...but I'm not sure if even that is right since excess fert patterns tend to align with the spreading path....when I last fert'd I spread it 90 degress to these patterns.

I'm still not sure what this might be coming from. The soil and structure under this area of the lawn is very uniform since the leach field is under the entire area. I.e. it's just 6 feet of backfill....no large boulders or anything. So that fact plus the fact that this entire area has received the same fertilizer and watering care makes me wonder why there is a non uniform coloration.

Kelly's Landscaping: your idea on boulders/objects isn't relevant to this area. But your point is very valid for another area that has baffled me in the past. It's not pictured here but the septic tank that feeds the leach field can't be much more than 2 feet under ground. Keeping that area of grass green is impossible. Most likely to the tank having an impact on the soil and grass, the drainage, heat etc etc. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Patriot Services
06-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I still stand by an app of Iron will even it out.:usflag:

libskin
06-24-2012, 03:55 PM
I still stand by an app of Iron will even it out.:usflag:

I forgot to mention I'm persuing a soil test. I posted (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=381914) a thread asking for fast turn around testing that includes recommendations. Universities are slow and Logan Labs does not offer recommendations as far as I can tell.

kirk1701
06-24-2012, 04:39 PM
libskin,
Where are you located and has it been dry there as of late?

libskin
06-24-2012, 06:19 PM
libskin,
Where are you located and has it been dry there as of late?

kirk1701 - In MA - 45 minutes west of Boston. It hasn't been dry really. We've had rain and I irrigate (in ground sprinkler system) the pictured area twice per week. I realize I should be doing it once per week and will be changing that. Anyway, based on a test where I put out cat food tins I believe my system drops about 1/8 to 1/4" of water per hour on that area. So the weeks leading up to the picture it saw probably about 1/2" of water on Wed and again on Sat.

kirk1701
06-24-2012, 07:15 PM
kirk1701 - In MA - 45 minutes west of Boston. It hasn't been dry really. We've had rain and I irrigate (in ground sprinkler system) the pictured area twice per week. I realize I should be doing it once per week and will be changing that. Anyway, based on a test where I put out cat food tins I believe my system drops about 1/8 to 1/4" of water per hour on that area. So the weeks leading up to the picture it saw probably about 1/2" of water on Wed and again on Sat.

IMHO than and the fact you got rain I know, its not the drain fields.

See, where there's a drain field there's moisture and it's not only moisture but that stuff acts just like fertilizer and the green will grow faster and the yellow part in between won't grow at all.

Even if you watered, you can't do what good old mother nature does with rain water :drinkup: but like I said I know you've gotten plenty a rain up your way and I'm jealous :laugh: