PDA

View Full Version : Rain Bird on the valve regulator

mrsteve
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I posted this as a follow up to a pressure issue I'm having at a property on another thread. I would appreciate any comments on this device. If I can get approval to install a real regulator at the DCV, this one (which is on one valve) will come out. The reason I'm soliciting comments is to find out if anyone has ever used the dial device at a master valve or one at a valve for some length of time. If so, what were your results? One concern I have for the master valve application (if it would work ) is I have both sprays and rotors on that system.

Wet_Boots
06-24-2012, 12:24 PM
For a large pipe size, you save big money by using the regulator on the master valve, and you also preserve pressure better, in the event one or more zones need something close to full flow.

greenmonster304
06-24-2012, 01:41 PM
I installed one the other day because I had 110 lbs static which is unheard of here. It did the trick and was easy to install.
Posted via Mobile Device

mrsteve
06-24-2012, 01:42 PM
I installed one the other day because I had 110 lbs static which is unheard of here. It did the trick and was easy to install.
Posted via Mobile Device
On a master valve?

greenmonster304
06-24-2012, 01:48 PM
On a master valve?

Yes. I use 100 psi poly so I needed to get that pressure down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wet_Boots
06-24-2012, 01:49 PM
I posted this as a follow up to a pressure issue I'm having at a property on another thread. I would appreciate any comments on this device. If I can get approval to install a real regulator at the DCV, this one (which is on one valve) will come out. The reason I'm soliciting comments is to find out if anyone has ever used the dial device at a master valve or one at a valve for some length of time. If so, what were your results? One concern I have for the master valve application (if it would work ) is I have both sprays and rotors on that system.If your zone valves have flow controls, you can always further reduce pressure in one or more zones.

Most people don't realize that a PRV has a tremendous friction loss on top of its pressure regulation. The regulating master valve has an insertion loss of about 10 psi

mrsteve
06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Yes. I use 100 psi poly so I needed to get that pressure down.
Posted via Mobile Device
Curious to what you set your pressure at on the master. When I did the zone valve, I turned the flow way down to get around sixty at schrader valve. Then between forty and fifty on the dial to read in forties at the head. I mean the flow control on the valve was not far up from fully closed. Not sure I like that.