PDA

View Full Version : Sick Dogwoods

coolyard
01-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Do any of ya'll know of any way to fight the blight that is affecting the dogwoods in the southeast. The disease causes the bark to peel off at the base of the tree, and the tree dies shortly thereafter. The trees in shady areas are more prone than ones in the sun. I own 2 acres that are wooded and 90% of the dogwoods are dead. I need a way to treat my remaining trees as well as my clients. I would appreciate any advice that anyone out there might have.

greenman
01-02-2003, 08:08 PM
I have heard about this, but I did not know it was blight. I just thought it was "dogwood disease",so to speak. I dont think there is any cure for this problem. Its beginning to become known around these parts,too. We are beginning to have a similar problem with crepe myrtles. :confused:

IGROTURF
01-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Are the dogwoods native or planted. Plants under stress will split.
Cankers will couse splitting.

crapes have exfolating bark.

Mike

Lanelle
01-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Did you notice the leaves last summer? This is probably Anthrocose (sp). Good cultural practice is best, but no 'cure' that I know of.

greenman
01-02-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Lanelle
Did you notice the leaves last summer? This is probably Anthrocose (sp). Good cultural practice is best, but no 'cure' that I know of.

This is the disease I am talking about. No cure that I know of either.

Igroturf-just another reason why I like crapes- the bark:)

coolyard
01-03-2003, 01:32 PM
All of my trees are native, and I believe that they keep the leaves untill they die, although none have leaves on them when I find them dead. I cut out the dead trees after they die, but that hasn't stopped it from speading. I read a newspaper article about this disease a couple of years ago. I don't remember the name of the disease. It said that it was affecting the native trees but not imported ones. I guess it is something that originated overseas.

KenH
01-03-2003, 03:09 PM
One of the tell tale signs of Dogwood Anthracnose are black spots on the leaves surrounded by a ring of purple. That is easy to diagnose....also, a slight discoloration UNDER the bark. (not so easy to diagnose). We are working with injections to force tree growth to try and outrun the 'cancer.' Anthracnose severly weakens the tree, which leaves them susceptible to Dogwood Borer...a much quicker death.

IGROTURF
01-03-2003, 07:38 PM
:) Ijust checked my Blue Book and there are some fungicides for dog wood Anthranose, Eagle wsp is a good systemic. Start treating at leaf bud break but check the label.
I would try and pick up the leaf litter, the spores could germ. this spring and splash back to the host. I would think an app. or two of a good tree and shrub fert. would keep them growing.

Igroturf

greenman
01-03-2003, 11:22 PM
thanks for that info, IGRO. I keep that in mind. Plenty of dogwoods around here.