PDA

View Full Version : Debbie

williams lcm
06-24-2012, 06:22 PM
It looks like we could be rained out until Wednesday or later. This slow moving storm will not let up on the rain. My lawn is soaked and very soggy. I guess it going to be another long wet week. Stay dry if you can.

Burnie
06-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Work wise it su(ks, :cry: but we really need the rain. :clapping:

Florida Gardener
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
While i agree that the rain can be annoying....just think of texas last yr. they had a year-long drought with a lot of death plant and turfwise.....be grateful.

Landscape Poet
06-24-2012, 08:10 PM
This is going to delay everything this week. I can not wait to hear from all the customers. There is cutting in the rain but at this point the lawns are just soup so I simply do not see how it will be possible for a bit.:confused:

williams lcm
06-24-2012, 08:37 PM
If we can get a few breaks from the rain I might think about mowing. But it is just to wet now. The last few weeks have made the grass super thick and tall between mowings. I know I am cutting more than 1/3 of an inch off between cuttings. I just slow it down a bit to make sure it looks nice and don't have any stragglers. Heck after 3 days most propertys could use cuttings again. Especially those bahia stalks that shoot up a few days later.

jvanvliet
06-24-2012, 09:05 PM
They guys on the panhandle are really gonna get some percipitation.

We have some trees down and minor property damage.

JB1
06-24-2012, 09:10 PM
They guys on the panhandle are really gonna get some percipitation.

We have some trees down and minor property damage.

we are planning on going there at the end of the week.

knox gsl
06-24-2012, 09:36 PM

Me too, going to see family for the weekend and come home and wish it would rain here.

easy-lift guy
06-24-2012, 09:43 PM
While i agree that the rain can be annoying....just think of texas last yr. they had a year-long drought with a lot of death plant and turfwise.....be grateful.

Returned from San Antonio today. Things are dry but nothing like ths time last year. Landed at TPA 2:15 pm, needless to say the passengers gave a rousing round of applause for a safe flight and landing. That being said we
did get a head start on the Hurricane season, and every season will be different. Just relax and wait till things dry up just a bit. If anyone's accounts
have a problem with Mother nature exercising her rights. That just too bad.
easy-lift guy

Patriot Services
06-24-2012, 09:43 PM
We got ahead on mowing. Already have a dozen calls for storm cleanup. Multiple tornados tearing through st pete. Going to wish I had a dump trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
06-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Returned from San Antonio today. Things are dry but nothing like ths time last year. Landed at TPA 2:15 pm, needless to say the passengers gave a rousing round of applause for a safe flight and landing. That being said we
did get a head start on the Hurricane season, and every season will be different. Just relax and wait till things dry up just a bit. If anyone's accounts
have a problem with Mother nature exercising her rights. That just too bad.
easy-lift guy

That is one of my no-nos. the first time a customer complains about me being behind due to weather, they are gone. I will work in light rain all day, but when we have heavy rains a couple days at a time, or only a half day break between rains, there is not much you can get done. Todd thing is though that most of my customers aren't here this time of year. Texas was bad last year. I couldn't even imagine a whole year with no rain. A lot of business would be lost for a lot of people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
06-24-2012, 09:55 PM
We are really the only state that has its rainy season during the hottest months of the year. If you go to the mowing forum, guys all over are complaining about having to skip multiple weeks on their per cut basis. If you price right in Florida, you can make great money.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
06-25-2012, 08:06 AM
We are caught upn everything except trimming.

Had somebody knocking on my door last night @ 8:00 PM... tree down & roof leak.

Looks like guys from Tampa NE to Gainseville to Orlando, to Jacksonville are going to be wet today.

We'll be doing clean up today.

jvanvliet
06-25-2012, 08:12 AM

For pleasure? There's not that much property damage for work.

JB1
06-25-2012, 08:13 AM
For pleasure? There's not that much property damage for work.

a little vacation, maybe some fishing.

jvanvliet
06-25-2012, 08:51 AM
a little vacation, maybe some fishing.

Where abouts?

I'm on the Gold Coast where it's always a Spring Break, the sun always shines and the party never stops.

AskTurfPro
06-25-2012, 10:11 AM
In the panhandle we got a little rain, pretty windy today. We are working and doing everything except spraying.

Greg78
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Looks like today is a wash for us.

stickleylawncare
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
We are caught upn everything except trimming.
Looks like guys from Tampa NE to Gainseville to Orlando, to Jacksonville are going to be wet today.

I don't think we will be doing much mowing today even if the rain clears up.... our yard is completely underwater and I know when ours looks like this, several of our customers are similar, or at least completely mush even to walk on, let alone put a mower on.

zturncutter
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Same here, water retention area's on all of the commercial properties are over flowing into the parking lots and lawns.

JB1
06-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Where abouts?

I'm on the Gold Coast where it's always a Spring Break, the sun always shines and the party never stops.

going down to panama city beach.

Ric
06-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Same here, water retention area's on all of the commercial properties are over flowing into the parking lots and lawns.

It took a couple of days of rain but our retention ponds are finally very full. Our soil was so dry that it took several days of rain to re-hydra it. The drainage swale in front of my house is still dry. But we needed this rain because wells were becoming salty and even going dry.

Well water of 700 PPM salts will Kill Hybrid Bermuda. It takes 1600 PPM to kill St A. I have a new customer who just had 34 pallets of 419 Bermuda installed. His well is 650 PPM and this rain saved the New sod for NOW. We are hoping the fresh water infusion to his well will bring down the salt contend. This past spring was abnormally hot and Dry and could have caused his well to increase in salt contend.

jvanvliet
06-25-2012, 06:29 PM

Heck, Panama City is North to us ;)

It's beautiful on the Gulf there, enjoy!

mjlcare2
06-25-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm going to consider Mon-Wed- free days.. I'm not letting my guys put a mower on a yard after all this rain.

Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care
06-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Debby does Florida. She blows and blows all night long.

I was hoping for Debby to hit Texas so I could say Debby does Dallas.. again.

06-25-2012, 09:09 PM
I think I will put a snorkel on my Dixie Chopper so that I can mow in the culverts under water. :dancing:

Patriot Services
06-25-2012, 10:18 PM
We aren't cutting, but it was non stop debris hauling and downed tree cutting. I have at least 2 more days if the phone and wind stops (not likely on either).
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
06-26-2012, 09:55 AM
I was out driving around early this morning and seen some guys cutting. Lawns looked horrible. I will check my clients properties and just do a debris clean up. Some clients I called or emailed and told them my plan and they were happy with it. More on and off rain for my area today.

Patriot Services
06-26-2012, 10:31 AM
We worked most of the night on emergency calls. People needed driveways cleared. Some flimsy aluminum sheds got blown around. Pretty profitable night.
Posted via Mobile Device

06-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I was out driving around early this morning and seen some guys cutting. Lawns looked horrible. I will check my clients properties and just do a debris clean up. Some clients I called or emailed and told them my plan and they were happy with it. More on and off rain for my area today.

I'm behind on my Punta Gorda and some Port Charlotte area. I told them late Wednesday or Thursday at best. I'm fine on my North Port area I just mowed them last Thursday. Want to trade me 8 lawns in North Port for 8 lawns in Port Charlotte? :-)

I had a PTO blow on the Dixie Chopper the other day and then I starting falling behind. I had to run to Bradenton to get it.

06-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Photos of our area from Debby.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/18870996/2012/06/25/tropical-storm-debby-photos-and-videos

Mark Oomkes
06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
It took a couple of days of rain but our retention ponds are finally very full. Our soil was so dry that it took several days of rain to re-hydra it. The drainage swale in front of my house is still dry. But we needed this rain because wells were becoming salty and even going dry.

Well water of 700 PPM salts will Kill Hybrid Bermuda. It takes 1600 PPM to kill St A. I have a new customer who just had 34 pallets of 419 Bermuda installed. His well is 650 PPM and this rain saved the New sod for NOW. We are hoping the fresh water infusion to his well will bring down the salt contend. This past spring was abnormally hot and Dry and could have caused his well to increase in salt contend.

Does rain really get into the groundwater that quick in FL?

Not sure what it is up here, but it sure isn't a few days.

06-26-2012, 11:06 AM

I see you are in Indiana. We just moved down here last October from Indianapolis. The Beech Grove area.

And yes it's spelled Beech. :-)

Ric
06-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Does rain really get into the groundwater that quick in FL?

Not sure what it is up here, but it sure isn't a few days.

Really depends on where you are in Florida. Soil types vary Greatly across the state. S W Coastal Florida is pretty much pure calcareous sand. West of I 75 Water sinks in real real quick. But you have to remember most house are build on fill dirt and still only 20 ft above mean tide level. Older homes like my father's was only 6 ft.

Rain has stopped for now but the winds are gusting strong. I am still in limbo because any thing I apply, has a chance of being washed away. I think we are look for an inch of rain a day on already saturated ground.

Bassman
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
It looks like we could be rained out until Wednesday or later. This slow moving storm will not let up on the rain. My lawn is soaked and very soggy. I guess it going to be another long wet week. Stay dry if you can.

I put the pedal to the metal today, catching up fast.

Landscape Poet
06-26-2012, 10:00 PM
I put the pedal to the metal today, catching up fast.

We got along pretty good this morning and got shut down early afternoon by some strong rains. Went to a different part of town and got two more lawns done before the rain caught up. The lawns are very very moist so going fast is not a option for me at this time. We are scheduled for 70% chance of rain tomorrow, we shall see what we can get done but it is not looking promising if you listen to their reports.

mjlcare2
06-26-2012, 10:42 PM
We are heading out tomorrow.. I don't think we will be seeing much rain action tomorrow.. chance of rain was 70-80% today.. didn't see a drop after 1pm.. Ive learned the weather channel is losing its credibility.

Patriot Services
06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Windy as hell today. A few areas with serious flooding. The wealthy waterfront of Tampa is under saltwater for day 3 now. I have 2 accounts there and I'm not sure if anything will be salvageable. Thank god for insurance and being rich. Everybody else is still way too soggy to cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
06-26-2012, 10:57 PM
We are heading out tomorrow.. I don't think we will be seeing much rain action tomorrow.. chance of rain was 70-80% today.. didn't see a drop after 1pm.. Ive learned the weather channel is losing its credibility.

Here's my rule, if they 70%, it won't rain. 20% and you get a monsoon. I agree, not very credible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
06-26-2012, 11:22 PM

We cleared up at around 5:30 over here today. I am thinking they are full of it on tomorrow too but we shall see. Time to play catch up and hope everything falls into place.

Landscape Poet
06-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Windy as hell today. A few areas with serious flooding. The wealthy waterfront of Tampa is under saltwater for day 3 now. I have 2 accounts there and I'm not sure if anything will be salvageable. Thank god for insurance and being rich. Everybody else is still way too soggy to cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

I keep seeing footage of your area and some of the damage. You guys obviously have it much worse than we do inland. But on a bright note you guys actually had waves that amounted to something on your beaches for a change!

Patriot Services
06-26-2012, 11:40 PM
I keep seeing footage of your area and some of the damage. You guys obviously have it much worse than we do inland. But on a bright note you guys actually had waves that amounted to something on your beaches for a change!

Yea and eroded millions of dollars of the soft white sand they've been trucking in. Not to mention all the brand new landscaping for the RNC that is now under water.
Posted via Mobile Device

06-27-2012, 01:17 AM
We cleared up at around 5:30 over here today. I am thinking they are full of it on tomorrow too but we shall see. Time to play catch up and hope everything falls into place.

I mowed in Port Charlotte today. I had to weed trim some culverts but that is nothing new. It was either weed trim them, skip them, or put a snorkel on the mower.

newz7151
06-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Debby does Florida. She blows and blows all night long.

I was hoping for Debby to hit Texas so I could say Debby does Dallas.. again.

Believe you me, there are plenty of us here that were looking for Debby to make the left turn and head towards Texas to refill our lakes, some of which are as much as 30-40 foot low and less than 50% full, IF not counting the ones that have dried up and not been able to catch any water. Something like that storm, had it come in and stalled over the Texas hill country and dropped 14-20 inches of rain would have added greatly to Lake Travis and probably even Buchanan.

jvanvliet
06-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Believe you me, there are plenty of us here that were looking for Debby to make the left turn and head towards Texas to refill our lakes, some of which are as much as 30-40 foot low and less than 50% full, IF not counting the ones that have dried up and not been able to catch any water. Something like that storm, had it come in and stalled over the Texas hill country and dropped 14-20 inches of rain would have added greatly to Lake Travis and probably even Buchanan.

So close and yet so far :dizzy: Weatherman had said they expected it to go NW.

Meanwhile, Florida Water Management has announced it is "moving" water. That's a code for dumping billions of gallons of fresh water into the ocean in advance of a protracted dry spell. It's uncanny how they can do it every time.

mjlcare2
06-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Well that was fun.. I pulled the crews back home about an hour ago.. thoroughly soaked this morning..Guess we will try again tomorrow and Friday, if not.. guess we'll see em' next week.. I'm turning the phones off friday at 6 thought because I dont wanna hear the bitching.. if your common sense isnt working.. dont bother me

stickleylawncare
06-27-2012, 06:59 PM
We were able to get in a full day of mowing, just downsized a few mowers on some properties. A lot less clean up than I thought wed have, I guess the storm a few weeks ago already made the mess... just a lot of water this time.

Landscape Poet
06-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Well that was fun.. I pulled the crews back home about an hour ago.. thoroughly soaked this morning..Guess we will try again tomorrow and Friday, if not.. guess we'll see em' next week.. I'm turning the phones off friday at 6 thought because I dont wanna hear the bitching.. if your common sense isnt working.. dont bother me

Should of stayed out just a little longer...the day turned out to be pretty nice and productive for me.

mjlcare2
06-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Should of stayed out just a little longer...the day turned out to be pretty nice and productive for me.

It did turn out to be pretty nice but my yards stayed soaked all day.. not worth damaging a yard and getting everything dirty.. There is always tomorrow

Patriot Services
06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
We've cleaned up enough palm fronds to build a hotel out of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
We've cleaned up enough palm fronds to build a hotel out of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

We need pics!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
06-28-2012, 03:53 PM
We need pics!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Already dumped.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
06-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Well the sun was no joke today even though it was not abnormally hot, forgot my sunscreen this morning and my poor shaved head is feeling the after effects as I type this.