PDA

View Full Version : Sod job

PPS.inc
06-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Customer wants a lush new back yd. The grass that is there is very thin not doing great. It's mostly shaded and last fall the wet leaves piled up and sat for weeks. He brought in 5 yds top soil and covered up old grass and reseeded. Last week a lot of the old grass pushed thur with a lot of the seed growing in, looks funky and a lot of dirt. He left a message asking for the old grass cut out and new sod brought in. The old grass is very thin. The sod cutter will not do its job correctly cause there's no good grass. Can I rototill rake and sod? Will leaving the grass there rototilled over and sod on top be alright? Thx fellas. Be safe out there.

Smallaxe
06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
This is a classic example of not doing anything other than perhaps roundup the existing grass, but I doubt that that is even necessary... just put the sod down after you get the dirt mowed down... tilling is an unnecessary step that will make all new problems with clumps of sod everywhere...

32vld
06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Unless the shade problem is taken care of no amount top soil, seed, or sod will give this customer the lawn he seeks.

If the ground is not lumpy, no low spots, no weeds growing through the top soil why waste time effort and money by roto tilling, laying fresh sod?

This ground should be smooth being top soil was raked over it.

Walk the property pointing out which trees need to be removed, thinned, and lower branches removed.

Then do a soil test for NPK and PH. Correct as needed.

Get a slit seeder.

Then point out he can not let the lawn get smoothered by leaves in the fall or all of this work will go to waste.

Smallaxe
06-25-2012, 10:32 AM
How much shade is there??

PPS.inc
06-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Shade all day but late after noon. This yd was really nice a while back. He knows it was the leaves that killed it. I'm sure this week it will almost be filled in with grass. But he wants sod. So can I rototill, remove any big clumps, and cover with sod? He's got a national company doing the fert n squirt. It's so thin I can't see any clumpage going on. It's very sparce.... Or you got a better plan? But With a cutter I won't get a single piece of sod. Not enough grass to hold together.... I cut Lawns all day that were layed sod and are in full shade.

Smallaxe
06-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Again... I would not till... :)

Smallaxe
06-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Funny you should talk about mowing in the shade... Did you know that you can't grow turf in the shade??? :)

PPS.inc
06-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Going to get a sod cutter to cut it at root level and bidding in 20 hours for just cleaning it up in prep of sod. Bring in a few more yds of fresh soil and lay the sod. It's got two hills leading down to the flat area of the yd. I need to stake the sod in place for a month or so? I'm thinking so.