PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up

jabbo
06-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Well, we are still waiting on the city crew to install a 1" meter in the place of the 3/4". But I would like to go ahead and lay the heads out. I know that we did a faucet test and got around 13 gpm. So the gpm should be up around 16-17 gpm I'm hoping. The pressure is real good and should be even after we install the RPZ. So what do you think is a good spacing for the heads. I am leaning on the 5000 plus and if not them the pgp ultras??? I am going to say around 30'-34'...

Kiril
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Well, we are still waiting on the city crew to install a 1" meter in the place of the 3/4". But I would like to go ahead and lay the heads out. I know that we did a faucet test and got around 13 gpm. So the gpm should be up around 16-17 gpm I'm hoping.

Hoping ain't gonna cut it. Be sure before you start doing anything.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
The spacing should be based on the site layout. I've never figured my spacing before I designed the layout. I know what my spacing parameters are based on an accurate pressure and flow analysis.

Mike Leary
06-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Double ditto what they said. If you want to chuck "30-34' " you better be spot-on.

jabbo
06-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Yea I knew I was going to get these answers and with good reason so I guess I will have to wait...Thanks!

Wet_Boots
06-25-2012, 12:49 PM
I always liked to wire a house before the framing was done.

ArTurf
06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
What is your static psi, line size & etc. I would go with the 5000. The spacing is mainly determined by the site but yes you can space a rotor 30'-34' with decent pressure/volume. I do sit down and rough design a system on paper before giving an estimate.

jabbo
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Thats kinda what i was thinking...Once they get it installed it will be a 1" line from the curb, 1" meter, 1" backflow, and 1" mainline probably all the way throughout...I do not know the static pressure but I do know that it is a good bit higher than mine(lived there for about 25 yrs.:laugh:) and I'm on a deep well with 45/65 or close to that....We are going on vacation next week and I was planning on spending some time drawing it up and laying out the zones. But if we cannot check the gpm to know how many heads to put on a zone before we leave all I can do is draw in the heads. :hammerhead:

P.S. Once they get the meter in, I am planning on installing a liquid filled guage and a brass ball valve and do a bucket test to know exactly how many gpm we got and the pressure....

Wet_Boots
06-25-2012, 04:06 PM
you'll need a big bucket

greenmonster304
06-25-2012, 04:48 PM
I always liked to wire a house before the framing was done.

When builders try to rush me to install before the site is ready I like to say to them "you wouldn't paint the sheet rock before you hang it on the wall, so why do want to install sprinklers before the grade is set".
Posted via Mobile Device

Tom Tom
06-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Recently did a system redesign for a guy that had 1" service line and 1" meter(which is rare in my parts).

Did a flow test at pressure(45 psi) about 50' after a zone valve. I was thinking I could get close 14 gpm+. Also static pressure is 85 psi.

10 gpm was it!

Do a flow test at pressure

Tom Tom
06-25-2012, 08:45 PM
I know that we did a faucet test and got around 13 gpm.

So what is a faucet test?

Wet_Boots
06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Recently did a system redesign for a guy that had 1" service line and 1" meter(which is rare in my parts).

Did a flow test at pressure(45 psi) about 50' after a zone valve. I was thinking I could get close 14 gpm+. Also static pressure is 85 psi.

10 gpm was it!

Do a flow test at pressureThat's kind of brutal. This is from a one-inch tap at the street?

C Jovingo Landscaping
06-25-2012, 10:51 PM
When builders try to rush me to install before the site is ready I like to say to them "you wouldn't paint the sheet rock before you hang it on the wall, so why do want to install sprinklers before the grade is set".
Posted via Mobile Device

Builders always wanna "put the cart before the horse!" SMH
Posted via Mobile Device

jabbo
06-25-2012, 10:59 PM
This meter feeds a rental house next to my dad's house. He stopped renting it out and turned it into a shop. So we just turned a faucet on at the front of the house wide open and timed the meter for 1 minute and watched the meter turn up about 13 gallons in that min...And thats with a faucet thats probably run with 1/2" inside the house. And thats on the 3/4" meter.

So what is a faucet test?

jabbo
06-26-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm not saying that test is accurate but it just gives us something to start with and thats why we are going with the 1" meter...

Mike Leary
06-26-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm not saying that test is accurate but it just gives us something to start with and thats why we are going with the 1" meter...

If you don't got the flow, you don't got the go.